The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I remember the contract negotiations well. Pettersson was never likely to go for a long term deal. I also remember his statements during that offseason. He said he wanted to "Play for a winner". 

If this franchise is going to continue it's ineptitude going forward, what possible reason would Petey have to want to stay here? 

Trading Boeser probably won't do us any favours in Petey's desire to stay here as well, so we'd better do what we can to retain him.

57 minutes ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

100 point years are great but can EP40 pull a Yzerman and sacrifice points to become a better defensive player? That's when Detroit a serious Cup contender.

He already is a top-tier defensive player.

• Cheers 2

EP continues his incredible play. I believe its getting overshadowed by the teams terrible start, Bo's contract, and the Boeser BS. 

Honestly, he is playing Hart level hockey. Best Canuck i've seen since Hanks Hart year. If he can get his FO up to over 50%... WOW! Datsyuk 2.0 with a better shot. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 12/9/2022 at 9:14 AM, BabychStache said:

EP continues his incredible play. I believe its getting overshadowed by the teams terrible start, Bo's contract, and the Boeser BS. 

Honestly, he is playing Hart level hockey. Best Canuck i've seen since Hanks Hart year. If he can get his FO up to over 50%... WOW! Datsyuk 2.0 with a better shot. 

Pretty much this. I'm sure he can improve on FO's, but chances are he will never be a Horvat in that regard. For that matter, our faceoffs will be looking mighty weak in general if we can't re-sign Horvat. 

Petey has been a bloody beast out there. He looks so much stronger and the most involved/active as I've ever seen him. One of the few bright spots in what has so far been another super frustrating season.

• Cheers 1

On 12/8/2022 at 6:28 PM, Alflives said:

The shorter term was because Benning had no cap room to go longer.  Benning was so bad at managing cap and planning for the future (“we live day to day” :picard:) that he could only afford a longer term deal on one of Hughes or Petey.  

I love how you just make random crap up everyday!

On 12/8/2022 at 4:58 AM, -AJ- said:

What I'm seeing from Petey this year over any other is the consistency that you only see in superstars. I had my doubts, but it does truly feel like he's finally taken that extra step to superstardom. He's on pace for over 100 points and has been for the entire year so far. His production reminds me of MIller last year. Can always rely on him for something almost every night. Also reminds of what it felt like with Naslund in 2002-03.

What is most impressive about EP's point production compared to JT Miller is that EP is not the primary puck handler on the powerplay. JT and Quinn are the primary handlers and yet, EP is racking up points. 

Whatever points EP ends up with this season, be it 90 points or 100 points, that's not likely to be his ceiling.

• Cheers 1

On 12/8/2022 at 8:21 PM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If this organization doesn't sort out it's blueline fast and start winning soon Pettersson is going to ask for a trade, and rightfully so. There's a reason he chose to go short term on his last contract. 

I don't think he chose to go for short term deal. He was probably looking for 8.5-9.5 mil on a long term contract but the team was capped out.

One of the great weaknesses of JB's management team was poor cap management. 

On 12/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, jyu said:

What is most impressive about EP's point production compared to JT Miller is that EP is not the primary puck handler on the powerplay. JT and Quinn are the primary handlers and yet, EP is racking up points. 

Whatever points EP ends up with this season, be it 90 points or 100 points, that's not likely to be his ceiling.

Thanks for this post.

I have been quite lonely talking about Petey loose a lot of points due to Miller being the primary puck handler on PP1.

Reverse situation would mean crazy numbers for Petey. 

We should learn a lesson from the Miller and Bo mistakes. Sign Petey up ASAP, he's trending up and surely going to explode in his contract year. 9-9.5M will be a bargain in 5 years time.

If we don't sign him you just know he'll drop a 120pt season and ask for MacKinnon money as a UFA.

3 centers to sort - 1 we've messed up, we're about to make another mistake by losing Bo, let's see what we do with Petey.

It's a lesson to many (even here), who were writing Petey off as a bust. Was he struggling? Sure. But he'd already shown what he was made of so maybe he deserved a bit of patience.

I remember that lame tweet and called him out on it back then. This was the result (I don't really want to follow someone who calss themselves AWalksOfficial anyhow. Or looks like he's playing with his new space commander headset). If you're in the media and put stuff out there, at least have the kahunas to stand in and defend it. Back it up.

321576284_688021506043826_47495445884682

Go take a walk, Andrew. The hedge seems like a good fit.....

321515700_842736286999290_22211253484653

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1