The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Pettersson and Hughes are breaking records and they're still young. I think they may smash many more by the time they're done. This is why there's no rebuild. The Canucks want to surround these special players with great supporting players and win a Cup in VAN. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The scary thing is that petey is not at his full potential yet....hes still ca 2-5 years from reaching a peak....hes already starting to dominate games and i cant see him going back. i mean u kinda wonder how much effect did the weight and powertraining help him during the summer? how much has he learnt from the ups and downs in his seasons?? if he keeps pushing it and strive to be better he will surpass mcdavid and be the no 1 in the world....he has that much more potential left in him....its like i said...its scary how good he can actually become...:shock:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mrwipeout said:

The scary thing is that petey is not at his full potential yet....hes still ca 2-5 years from reaching a peak....hes already starting to dominate games and i cant see him going back. i mean u kinda wonder how much effect did the weight and powertraining help him during the summer? how much has he learnt from the ups and downs in his seasons?? if he keeps pushing it and strive to be better he will surpass mcdavid and be the no 1 in the world....he has that much more potential left in him....its like i said...its scary how good he can actually become...:shock:

Never did I imagine that we would have a 100 point producing Selke and Hart trophy caliber player on this team.

And then Hughes with his dominance. Such a treat to watch these two.

Surround them with good players and we have a chance to be a good team moving forward.

We probably need another game breaker though with how hard it is to win in the NHL playoffs. Hoping we find that in the 2023 draft.

• Upvote 1

so the bar's pretty much set for EP's next contract with the pasta extension.. personally i think it'll take something similar if not the same contract to get EP to sign this summer... where do you guys see him fitting in? Matthew tkatchuk's 9.5 i think is going to be at the very least the floor for the next deal... but i think it's going to be closer to if not exceed pasta's deal.. even if EP signs for 11.25mil.. he's still going to make significantly less than MT's 9.5mil almost 750k less per season thats 6mil less in total in take home cash.. and it's going to be a good chunk less than pasta's take home pay too.. so where do you guys see him coming in? EP is a center compared to those 2 and also far superior defensively..  where's everyone predicting he will sign at? i'm prolly going to say around 11-11.5mil or are you guys going to use the argument those guys have done it longer and he's only done it for 1 season? can management afford to play chicken with EP and have it drag out next season and risk having him take his 1 year qualifying and walk or forced to trade him? will they try to lowball him and use JT miller's contract and argue he's not 3.5mil better than Miller?

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so the bar's pretty much set for EP's next contract with the pasta extension.. personally i think it'll take something similar if not the same contract to get EP to sign this summer... where do you guys see him fitting in? Matthew tkatchuk's 9.5 i think is going to be at the very least the floor for the next deal... but i think it's going to be closer to if not exceed pasta's deal.. even if EP signs for 11.25mil.. he's still going to make significantly less than MT's 9.5mil almost 750k less per season thats 6mil less in total in take home cash.. and it's going to be a good chunk less than pasta's take home pay too.. so where do you guys see him coming in? EP is a center compared to those 2 and also far superior defensively..  where's everyone predicting he will sign at? i'm prolly going to say around 11-11.5mil or are you guys going to use the argument those guys have done it longer and he's only done it for 1 season? can management afford to play chicken with EP and have it drag out next season and risk having him take his 1 year qualifying and walk or forced to trade him? will they try to lowball him and use JT miller's contract and argue he's not 3.5mil better than Miller?

I prefer IBatche’s approach where contracts are paid as a % of the CAP. If you don’t do that you end up with a over weight top group that prevents the team from adding the pieces required for a Cup run. I don’t understand why contracts can’t have bonuses written in for Cup wins. EP’s contract will be followed by Hughes by Kozmenko, by Hrenka etc. 

10 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I prefer IBatche’s approach where contracts are paid as a % of the CAP. If you don’t do that you end up with a over weight top group that prevents the team from adding the pieces required for a Cup run. I don’t understand why contracts can’t have bonuses written in for Cup wins. EP’s contract will be followed by Hughes by Kozmenko, by Hrenka etc. 

no one will ever sign a contract where you have bonus for cup wins like you'l only get 10mil per season and if u win a cup somewhere in there we'll give u an extra xxx amount total. i honestly dont see EP re-signing here unless we offer full market value and close if not above pasta's contract just coz we not a contender and the tax rate is like 10%+ higher than a lot of cities.

15 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Personally, I'm seeing $11-$12M right now as a reasonably fair range, even on an 8-year deal. If he has trade protection, then maybe closer to $11M.

• Cheers 2

On 3/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, -AJ- said:

Personally, I'm seeing $11-$12M right now as a reasonably fair range, even on an 8-year deal. If he has trade protection, then maybe closer to $11M.

EP is an amazing talent but 11-12 million is just sooo much money to pay 1 player on a team's roster. The fact Toronto has 3 players making around 11 million speaks to their recent run of "success" and is a recipe for 1st rnd exits. Colorado is soon going to price themselves out of contention once Mac's new deal kicks in too.

Like Miller and the Sedins before him, I hope EP takes a bit of a haircut and comes in around 9.5-10. I hope Alvin can make a long term deal that makes sense for both sides. *I definitely want to have EP40 long term but also want us to be able to build up the entire roster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KirkSave said:

EP is an amazing talent but 11-12 million is just sooo much money to pay 1 player on a team's roster. The fact Toronto has 3 players making around 11 million speaks to their recent run of "success" and is a recipe for 1st rnd exits. Colorado is soon going to price themselves out of contention once Mac's new deal kicks in too.

Like Miller and the Sedins before him, I hope EP takes a bit of a haircut and comes in around 9.5-10. I hope Alvin can make a long term deal that makes sense for both sides. *I definitely want to have EP40 long term but also want us to be able to build up the entire roster.

Boeser, Horvat, and Miller were all unwilling to take a discount, so I don't think the precedent or culture has been set for Petey to take one. Petey also signed his 2-year presumably with the idea of banking on himself, and cashing in at the end of the term. No reason for him to stray from the course.

Considering that when Petey re-signs he will likely be top 5 in points in the league, I think 11+ million is entirely the ballpark we're looking at. Yes, you're right - Toronto has 3 players making this kind of cash and we can see how it makes it challenging to maintain a competitive team aside from these players, and that is certainly not the kind of scenario we want to get involved in. Still, if you want to have stars, ya gotta pay in today's league.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Boeser, Horvat, and Miller were all unwilling to take a discount, so I don't think the precedent or culture has been set for Petey to take one. Petey also signed his 2-year presumably with the idea of banking on himself, and cashing in at the end of the term. No reason for him to stray from the course.

Considering that when Petey re-signs he will likely be top 5 in points in the league, I think 11+ million is entirely the ballpark we're looking at. Yes, you're right - Toronto has 3 players making this kind of cash and we can see how it makes it challenging to maintain a competitive team aside from these players, and that is certainly not the kind of scenario we want to get involved in. Still, if you want to have stars, ya gotta pay in today's league.

You raise some fair points. Star players will get paid. I look at C's like Aho and Barkov as comparables to Petey. I hope he slides in b/w their AAV. 9.5-10 million is in my eyes fair. Petey could be a top 5 talent. He ain't there yet though. Certainly has that potential. If he doesn't sign this offseason and racks up 120+ points in 23'24, I could understand his price increasing to the 11+ you mentioned.

I think Miller could have commanded more $ on the open market. 8 mil per year for a power forward of his skill set is great when you consider other 8-8+ mil cap hits around the league.

-Fiala (flashy, not elite)

-Hertl (underwhelming)

-Couture (shave that stache)

-Hintz (solid, The Barkov of Texas)

-Johansen (leaves you wanting more)

-Duchene (flashy, streaky...not in that way ;)

-Wheeler (losing a step)

-Horvat (soft)

-Zibanejad (too streaky & needs a haircut)

-Kuznetsov (bird man needs to molt away)

-Suzuki (needs to beef up)
-B. Tkachuk (rising power forward who will piss off opponents for the next 10 years)

-Stamkos (championship pedigree, best shot next to Ovi)

On that list, whenever these players are playing at their absolute best, only a handful of them would be more valuable to our club than JT IMHO. Under Tocchet, JT is going to continue to lead by example and be more accountable with his words and actions. His play has already benefited under RT. He is a leader who is driving this team, alongside Petey.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KirkSave said:

EP might be willing to sign for a little less if he has some faith in the organization. If the team still sucks when it comes time for him to sign a new contract he sure as hell won't be doing us any favors. 

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

I'd argue that Miller took a bit of a discount.  He just came off a 99 point season.  He easily could have commanded at a minimum what Horvat got with NYI. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd argue that Miller took a bit of a discount.  He just came off a 99 point season.  He easily could have commanded at a minimum what Horvat got with NYI. 

Yup. Miller took a seven year term too. 8 mil x 7 mil = 56 mil. Bo wanted more. Bo got 68 mil over 8 years. Miller is clearly the better player, and proven as such over the time here. When compared to Bo, Miller would be 9 x 8. Miller took a lot less to stay here. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Miller took a seven year term too. 8 mil x 7 mil = 56 mil. Bo wanted more. Bo got 68 mil over 8 years. Miller is clearly the better player, and proven as such over the time here. When compared to Bo, Miller would be 9 x 8. Miller took a lot less to stay here. 

He's also 4(?) Years older and thus theoretically his play will drop off 4 years earlier. Let's talk half way through these deals since you like being wrong so much about these things.

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He's also 4(?) Years older and thus theoretically his play will drop off 4 years earlier. Let's talk half way through these deals since you like being wrong so much about these things.

The gap is only about two years, so it's not that different. Miller just turned 30 and Horvat is about to turn 28 next month. That said, I agree with the principle of not being hasty to make judgments on the deals just yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

The gap is only about two years, so it's not that different. Miller just turned 30 and Horvat is about to turn 28 next month. That said, I agree with the principle of not being hasty to make judgments on the deals just yet.

I just liked it up and Miller doesn't turn 30 till tomorrow. Horvat turns 28 in early April so yeah 2 years is more accurate.

• Thanks 1

Yeah I could see a world where Petey's next contract will be around $11+ million. I'd love $10 million or even a little less of course, but doesn't matter really. He is playing incredibly all over the ice and is really showing he's the elite level player Canuck fans have been hoping he'd be since his debut.  

This team lives or dies on Elias Pettersson. So you either resign him long term and stick with this re-tool plan and go for the playoffs hard each year. Or if you can't make it work you blow this all up including trading him and start a full on rebuild. 

22 hours ago, HKSR said:

See, I thought it was fairly reasonable as well. Yet, when it came time to potentially trade him, there were few suitors. Part of that was obviously having to fit him under the cap, but that rings true for us as well when we signed him.

Fun fact--with Pettersson's 8 shorthanded points this year, he has beaten Gerry Minor's record of more than 40 years (7 shorthanded points) for shorthanded points by a Canuck centre. Minor's record was later tied by Messier, so Pettersson beating this record wipes that abominable name off the record books.

Bure has the record shorthanded points in a season for all positions at nine, just one more than Petey has right now.

Pettersson has also tied the record for most OT goals in a season by a centre (three), which was set by Miller just last year.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1