The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

EP hearing JR saying he is the only untradeable guy and seeing how his team played without him took control

Unfortunately hockey is a team sport and need the others to step up their own game with his example,( one  player cannot do it alone every game)

Keeping EP the Russian forwards and start building from D out

Maybe our core (Petey, Demko, Hughes, Miller, Bo) is good enough to be a winner if the supporting cast was much improved?  

3 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Maybe  Alf, but like JR stated, for the right returns i would consider moving everyone but EP

I wonder if Byfield would be considered too many years away from his ceiling (NHL ready) for JR to consider as the key piece in a Bo trade?

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Sorry Alf, No one on this team is worthy enough to derail discussing about other than EP :P 

Cheers and Merry Christmas

Nice. I was about to respond to Alf and then stopped after seeing this.

Let's just appreciate EP magic a bit longer.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

EP has had a knack for big time goals - he is the king of last minute goals.

Unequivocally, EP has taken his game to the next level and showing he is the REAL LEADER of this franchise. 

I was at that game vs the Avs...it was such fun. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Again, only because he passed a milestone, which is a career thing, not a week thing.

Hmm  -   but it was during that week that he passed Howe. Across the NHL more mentions were made, more accolades given, for Ovi's feat than for Petey's. The recognition is for "Star of the week" and while 5 points in a game ( or 7 in 2 games) is meritorious, it's been done hundreds of times before in the NHL.  Ovi's feat has been done just once before.

Case closed 

• There it is 1

38 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Hmm  -   but it was during that week that he passed Howe. Across the NHL more mentions were made, more accolades given, for Ovi's feat than for Petey's. The recognition is for "Star of the week" and while 5 points in a game ( or 7 in 2 games) is meritorious, it's been done hundreds of times before in the NHL.  Ovi's feat has been done just once before.

Case closed 

I would still agree with @6of1_halfdozenofother. Ovie didn't score 800 goals in the past week--he scored 2. In my opinion, the award should focus solely on the play during the prior week. Ovie will get his due for 800+ goals when he probably goes straight into the HHOF, waiving the usual three-year waiting period.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would still agree with @6of1_halfdozenofother. Ovie didn't score 800 goals in the past week--he scored 2. In my opinion, the award should focus solely on the play during the prior week. Ovie will get his due for 800+ goals when he probably goes straight into the HHOF, waiving the usual three-year waiting period.

I can't wait to hear the call. EP-D to Pederson to EP40! He scores!!!! That will be a game to remember. Watch young EP-D at the WJC. I am wathing him more than Lettermaki. 

Edited by Boudrias

19 hours ago, wildcam said:

Pettersson 24 - C - 6'2 - 180 lbs  --Better sign this star this July long term -- 8yrs X 9.6 AAV

Lots of examples around the NHL where young stars have saddled their clubs with contracts that pay so much of the CAP that they cannot afford good enough support players. Good for them but chances of a CUP are hurt. 

On 12/26/2022 at 8:19 AM, Boudrias said:

Lots of examples around the NHL where young stars have saddled their clubs with contracts that pay so much of the CAP that they cannot afford good enough support players. Good for them but chances of a CUP are hurt. 

Yes but I'd say 9.6 is more than a fair price for 1C and leaves space to sign other players.

Toronto signing 3 players averaging 11 mil per is the very definition of what you are suggesting. They must have thought the cap would be 90+ mil by now.

1 hour ago, jyu said:

Yes but I'd say 9.6 is more than a fair price for 1C and leaves space to sign other players.

Toronto signing 3 players averaging 11 mil per is the very definition of what you are suggesting. They must have thought the cap would be 90+ mil by now.

That's in the Barzal range, which is what peeps were thinking Pete was at a similar level.  This season, he appears

to be breaking out and is already a much better player than Barzal.  He still has another season before his

current contract runs out and I'll bet his development has skyrocketed.  His ability to play both offence and

defence at an elite level will put him in a small group of special players in the NHL. 

If Covid and injuries hadn't interfered with Pete's early development, his comparison could be heading in

the Mackinnon direction:shock:  Management need to sign him before the beginning of next season.

Pete is becoming a franchise player.  If he signs for under $10x8yr I will be surprised (and very happy).