The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes was a massive defensive liability last year.  He didn’t get sent down to Abby. He learned how to play defence in the summer. Now he’s our best +/- defenceman. Rathbone can do the same thing. The only way he will actually learn how to play defence in the NHL is by playing in the NHL. The game jn Abby is a lot slower. I’d like to see him get called up at some point this year. 

Exactly. 

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Rathbone himself recently talked about his focus on his d-zone play as top of his list. Anyone who doesn’t realize this as a critical building block misses some basic hockey reality. Players who can’t be defensively responsible can do well enough during regular season play but get skewered during CUP play. I rather Rathbone develops his game in Abby. Fans should remember that he has played what 50 games over the past 2 seasons? Canucks aren’t making playoffs so leave where he can benefit most. Abby might still make their playoffs. Hamonic and Poolman get back and Juulson and Sauntner can go back down to solidify their backend for a run. That’s development that the org needs.

I think there's a good chance of making the playoffs, that's the only part I disagree with you on. I think we have a really good chance, but I'm basing that on the idea that I really believe that Anaheim and Los Angeles are going to fade through the last part of the season.

Time will tell, though.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hammertime said:

"Jack Rathbone. he's just not ready!" 

This message has been paid for by the Jim Rutheford group.

Yep. That’s what 9 points in his last four games tells me. He’s not improving defensively because, like a Hughes, he is so damned good at getting out of his own end, just a sec. isn’t that the best kind of D? Play as little time as possible in your own end?

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yep. That’s what 9 points in his last four games tells me. He’s not improving defensively because, like a Hughes, he is so damned good at getting out of his own end, just a sec. isn’t that the best kind of D? Play as little time as possible in your own end?

Shhhhh thats not the narrative that is popular in this thread. We want Hunt we want Hunt we want Hunt. repeat this as many times as it takes until you believe it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

Shhhhh thats not the narrative that is popular in this thread. We want Hunt we want Hunt we want Hunt. repeat this as many times as it takes until you believe it.

I have never suffered from popularity, and have no clue of what a popular thread might consist. On the other hand, Hunt has tried real hard, he does everything Boudreau asks of him, apparently. I’m unsure if that implies that somebody else doesn’t, or if it’s a coach protecting a player that fans and press are picking on. Of course, there was a coach here who loved Vey, and another who loved Megna, so pick a reason.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I have never suffered from popularity, and have no clue of what a popular thread might consist. On the other hand, Hunt has tried real hard, he does everything Boudreau asks of him, apparently. I’m unsure if that implies that somebody else doesn’t, or if it’s a coach protecting a player that fans and press are picking on. Of course, there was a coach here who loved Vey, and another who loved Megna, so pick a reason.

Hunt's no Aaron Rome amirite AV.

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Jack Rathbone had a pair of points tonight, scoring one goal and assisting on another. He now has 19 points (5-14-19) in 18 games this season for Abbotsford. His current point streak is now five games.

He’s forcing managements hand to call him up.

You can’t have a player perform like that and not reward them. It sends a bad message.

No reason why Hunt can’t be put on waivers. With Hamonic, Poolman and Hughes back he’s the odd man out.

Hughes Schenn 

OEL Myers

Rathbone Hamonic

Poolman/Burroughs

• Like 4

13 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think there's a good chance of making the playoffs, that's the only part I disagree with you on. I think we have a really good chance, but I'm basing that on the idea that I really believe that Anaheim and Los Angeles are going to fade through the last part of the season.

Time will tell, though.

We won't agree on this. The existing roster has enough talent to drive for a playoff position there is no doubt. If they make it fine but I think they could fade just as easily. If anything Demko carries them. There were long stretches in the Laffer game where their d-zone play was embarassing. I still think the priority has to be getting younger with broader talent base. 

• Cheers 2

On 2/12/2022 at 9:32 PM, DeNiro said:

11 points in 5 games now?

Yeah, but apparently he can’t play defence... it’s all over the place, so it must be true... in his last  10gp 3G 8a 11pt +4 since he got back into form after recovering from an injury. I would imagine Jack is pretty confident right now. It took Hughes till his third season to become really sound defensively. The difference from last season is chalk and cheese, and he was better before the coaching change, though I think Boudreau’s pressuring style is more attuned to Hughes’s game. I think Jack brings a measure of what Hughes brings, the question is what measure, and long before he’s playing at an nhl level defensively, and can Rutherford wait that long.

• Cheers 1