The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 minute ago, 250Integra said:

Tough position to be for Rathbone. Injuries aside, he needs to have a great camp to get a shot on the third pairing or as the 7th defenceman. Hopefully Myers will be better in a smaller role.

Hughes-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Myers

Rathbone

I think with Willander in the system the team will just pick the best 7-8 dmen that help the team win on opening night. We had one of the worst d corps in the league last year I don’t think our depth is at a big risk of being claimed off waivers.  Rathbone is depth for Hughes or Hronek maybe the puck mover on pair 3.  Briesbois or Irwin will fill in for the shutdown guys when injuries arise.

On 8/18/2023 at 8:57 AM, 250Integra said:

Tough position to be for Rathbone. Injuries aside, he needs to have a great camp to get a shot on the third pairing or as the 7th defenceman. Hopefully Myers will be better in a smaller role.

Hughes-Cole

Soucy-Hronek

Wolanin-Myers

Rathbone

Pretty sure Irwin is ahead of Rathbone on the depth chart.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 5:20 PM, Ray_Cathode said:

Depends on who goes down. If Hughes went down, Rathbone would be of more use than Irwin. If Cole or Soucy went down, then Irwin.

That’s how it should be, but sometimes things make too much sense. One of my pet peeves was calling up a skilled forward from the AHL and planting him on the 4th line, even after showing flashes of offensive skill. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2023 at 6:35 PM, Citizen Erased said:

That’s how it should be, but sometimes things make too much sense. One of my pet peeves was calling up a skilled forward from the AHL and planting him on the 4th line, even after showing flashes of offensive skill. 

Well, with the new coaching in Abby, by the end of the season, our best defensive forwards are pretty much our best offensive forwards - Klimovich, Bains, Neilson, Raty, and Sasson. Klimovich, by the way, was by far the highest +/- on the team. By season end, Bains was our best forward penalty killer and the guy the coach wanted out there in the last minute to close out the game. In particular, I am really impressed with Bains and Klimovich. These young men are dedicated to doing whatever it takes to become winners. Now, there may be some insufficiency that keeps them from the NHL, but it won’t be because it was something they did not care to learn.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Well, with the new coaching in Abby, by the end of the season, our best defensive forwards are pretty much our best offensive forwards - Klimovich, Bains, Neilson, Raty, and Sasson. Klimovich, by the way, was by far the highest +/- on the team. By season end, Bains was our best forward penalty killer and the guy the coach wanted out there in the last minute to close out the game. In particular, I am really impressed with Bains and Klimovich. These young men are dedicated to doing whatever it takes to become winners. Now, there may be some insufficiency that keeps them from the NHL, but it won’t be because it was something they did not care to learn.

I’m really high on Bains. I was a little skeptical about him, putting up such huge numbers as an overager in the WHL, but it seems like he really hit his stride in the second half of the season. If he keeps up his play at both ends of the ice, he could be good for a call up this coming season. I think he could stick around in the NHL because of his defensive play. We just need to see how his offensive skill translates to the NHL level. I think the worst case scenario is the Canucks have a pretty good bottom 6 forward and he didn’t even cost them a draft pick. In that way, he reminds me of Alex Burrows. 

All those other players developed well too, but I was really impressed with Bains.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I’m really high on Bains. I was a little skeptical about him, putting up such huge numbers as an overager in the WHL, but it seems like he really hit his stride in the second half of the season. If he keeps up his play at both ends of the ice, he could be good for a call up this coming season. I think he could stick around in the NHL because of his defensive play. We just need to see how his offensive skill translates to the NHL level. I think the worst case scenario is the Canucks have a pretty good bottom 6 forward and he didn’t even cost them a draft pick. In that way, he reminds me of Alex Burrows. 

All those other players developed well too, but I was really impressed with Bains.

100%. Bains played an elite skilled game producing big offence in junior. He’s accepted to be an NHLer he needs to adopt a more checking role. I certainly see a lot of Burr in him but I also see some Malholtra. A guy who was elite in junior and needed to accept a new role to have an nhl career. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

On 8/29/2023 at 3:18 PM, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah I don't see a spot for Bone on this team if we can flip him for a pick we should.

I'm hoping as some sweetener to say Chicago or Anaheim to take on Garland.

Rathbone is good enough to play a "Tyson Barrie" role on either of those clubs. They get a decent middle 6 winger to help shelter prospects, and a young free, depth offensive D.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2023 at 3:18 PM, Rick_theRyper said:

Yeah I don't see a spot for Bone on this team if we can flip him for a pick we should.

The constant desire to get draft picks is a fools errend. First of all you ain't getting much better than a late round pick and the chnace of getting an NHL player is >20%. Rathbone is not a house hold name and by now scouts are doubting he's an NHL player period. The idea of a sweetner to another trade is likely the best you're going get

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I'm hoping as some sweetener to say Chicago or Anaheim to take on Garland.

Rathbone is good enough to play a "Tyson Barrie" role on either of those clubs. They get a decent middle 6 winger to help shelter prospects, and a young free, depth offensive D.

Yeah man totally agree there, he's ready for a role but needs to be sheltered with a bigger defensive guy, and we already got two offensive guys on our top4, unless Hughes N Hronek play together, they'll be with their own bigger defensive guys. I don't like the idea of Bones with Myers lol rather Myers and Wolly or Briseboi or Irwin etc..

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The constant desire to get draft picks is a fools errend. First of all you ain't getting much better than a late round pick and the chnace of getting an NHL player is >20%. Rathbone is not a house hold name and by now scouts are doubting he's an NHL player period. The idea of a sweetner to another trade is likely the best you're going get

Draft picks all day er day

Just now, Rick_theRyper said:

Draft picks all day er day

On average the chnace of getting a meaningful players is low, think Juolevi and Virtanen  rather then EP. Even ffirst O/A picks continue to disapoint and never make it. I like the draft don't get me wrong but most low end pick are very low percentage success rate. We all get excited each year but never follow up the success rate, guys simply disapear to EU

Look at all the late round pick in the last 10 years

Vancouver Canucks Draft History at hockeydb.com

On 8/30/2023 at 3:56 PM, Fred65 said:

At the end of last season in the playoffs, we got to see Rathbone and Wolanin together on the PP an Abby. They worked together well, but ran into a very hot Calgary goalie. If Hirose doesn’t make Vancouver, they might make an interesting pairing on the PP - particularly late in games if they already have a lead. After a rough start to the season, Rathbone was looking like himself again. Abby could have a strong team this year: maybe a D with Rathbone, Hirose, McWard, Johanssen, and maybe one of Brisebois, Juulson, or Wolanin.  Raty, Sasson, Klimovich, Karlsson, Bains, McDonough, Neilson, and maybe some combination of Podkolzin, Hoglander, and Dries, Aman, or Studnicka - if every waiver eligible guy clears could make for some young strength up front. Near the end of the year, they could be joined by some very interesting prospects like Bloom and Kudryavtsev. Interesting goaltending in Silovs and Polotilo. There are a couple of college players, too, that might turn pro, or young Euros like Forsell, Jurmo, or DPetey. Interesting times.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Bone will clear; Woo will get claimed. 

I agree Woo has a better chance of cracking the roster this year. He really stepped his play up this year after having failed to woo in the previous two seasons.

Sadly, 'boner keeps banging his noggin and missing games and seemed to actually be regressing if anything last year.

Jimmy B had a lot of good qualities as a man, kindness, and generosity being two that stand out.  But he is not a patient man.

Ratrhbone was rushed a little.