The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News says we just picked three first rounders.

IBatch

4 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

It's awful tiring listening and reading all the armchair GMs say what an absolute garbage job Benning is doing.

There wasn't much for moveable assets when he came and even less prospects.

Every player you'd want to trade to start a rebuild had a NTC which has to make negotiating a winning deal very hard.

I don't believe in the scorched earth rebuild, you shouldn't dump every veteran and let the kids get annihilated for the sake of draft picks, especially with our lottery luck.

Look at Edmonton before Mcdavid, is that what you want to have for the next 10 years?

Speaking of lottery luck, if we hadn't dropped from 3rd to 5th, and 2nd to 6th,

Our prospect pool would look quite different and there would likely be less hate. 

My opinion is Benning is accumulating prospects while trying to maintain a leadership presence to show them what it takes to be a pro, as well as protect them from difficult minutes and physical punishment. 

Overall probably not an A rating, but I'd give him a B and doubt many people could do much better with all that considered.

Disagree? What moves would you have made to have us in better shape?  ( remember the other team has to accept your trade )

On topic , good picks. I wanted Glass but am not upset with Petersson either.

I assume he knows better than me.

To most die hard Canucks fans who've spent their life time watching the Canucks since they've come into the league would agree that the Canucks were in bad need of defenceman the first year JB got here. There were very good UFAs available at the time (Boychuk, Leddy, Niskanen, etc to name a few). He let Garrison go and replaced him with no one, he brought in Yannick Weber, Bartkowski and signed Miller.

It can be argued that if he brought in two quality UFA defencemen in his first year, kept Lack or brought in a cheap UFA goaltender (Miller got hurt in his first year and sucked in his second year), then kept the mid twenty guys rather than the plus 30 year olds, this team could have remained competitive.

When he let go Richardson, Kassian, Matthais, Garrison and kept Higgins, Burrows, and brought in Prust and did nothing to our D. I could easily predict the downward trend for this team. Hind sight is not needed here.

He finally, in year 3, has come to a realisation that most die hard Canuck fans could have told him in year one...it took "the coach of year" half a season to figure out this.

3 hours ago, Li'l Fra said:

I was skeptical at first because of course I was leaning towards a big Canadian centre, or a sexy D-man. The Pettersson pick fell flat for me, but I'm always willing to be convinced. And it usually doesn't take long. lol.

But I like this pick...he could be a Zetterberg or a Forsberg...you never know.

Also, by picking two big Canadian players next, that scored a bunch in the WHL and OHL, the Canucks more than make up for any "grit" lost by picking Pettersson. And Pettersson is 6'2"...when he grows to man size he won't be small.

I think our forward group is looking good going ahead. We've seemingly got a good mix of European style skilled players (Goldobin, Dahlen, Pettersson, Baertschi, Palmu) and Canadian style skilled players (Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Gadjovich, Lind)

Plus my boy Gaunce is about to have a breakout season (if he heals up quickly)! And Granlund's got some game.

Nice comment, I agree with most of it with the exception of Gaunce, he has some serious competition following this draft and throw in Virtanen ( I'm projecting bottom six for now ), Labate, Chaput come to mind as well....which is good for both Gaunce and the team.

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

I agree with @S'all Good Man that there is more reason now for optimism about the future that at any time in the last 5 years. The prospect pool got a big boost in this draft. I still would have preferred Glass over Pettersson and I don't think potential chemistry with Dahlen is a good reason for favouring Petterson in what was apparently a very close decision for the Canucks. But I agree that Pettersson was a good pick. I know that his league-adjusted scoring was excellent last year but the other dimensions of his game are not as strong. Overall I see him as somewhere in the Nylander/Ehlers range but with a lot of uncertainty. It will be interesting to compare Pettersson and Glass at the WJC next year.

But I really like the two second rounders and Dipietro. As the OP says, the Canucks got two guys in the second round who could easily have been low first rounders. And they add some desperately need grit to the prospect pool. And Dipietro was a steal in the 3rd round.

But I don't buy the argument that Benning has been doing a great job all along.

Absolutely the right call. I don't know who was the primary advocate of the "retool while making the playoffs" strategy -- later adjusted to the "rebuild while remaining competitive" strategy. Maybe it was Aquillini. Maybe it was Benning. (I am pretty sure it was not Linden.) But the Canucks have just come off arguably the two worst years in franchise history relative to reasonable expectations. That strategy did not work and just delayed the rebuild.

This year, finally, the Canucks made the right moves at the deadline, did not trade away any significant picks, and made good selections with the picks they had. But, in my view, this is the first time that Benning has put everything together.

DiPietro was a steal, I was hopeful Benning would add to our stable and he could easily come out as the best goalie in the draft.  Scouts agree that he was the best available from the OHL, and put up a banner year.   No relation to NYI namesake, it's good news for Canuck fans, Demko will likely have a good understudy that can push each other for the future reigns in net.  If one misses, theres a good chance the other won't.   

Everything is pointing towards a solid young outfit by 2020, with each year after gaining more traction towards relevancy again.

i like bennings draft good moves i want timmins but he went a spot before we got lind no biggy. The funniest thing tho is fan base was calling fir venning to be fured now they love him again soo funny our fans are the worst in nhl.

bennings team will be better next yr than most think

all these posters wont complain when eriksson  gudbranson and sedins have great yrs plus a healthy granlund horvat and baertchi shoukd be good.

If we trade tanev it will be at deadline for a sniper and picks  

i just hope he finds some gems in free agency  a big right d with offense please and some tough cheap 4th line muckers  no more garbage like megna 

5 hours ago, DSVII said:

It's just as tiring arguing against this strawman. 

Almost all rebuild advocates here agree that scorched earth isn't ideal but veteran support can also be found cheaper dipping in free agency rather than paying premiums and futures for them and signing them to long term boat anchor contracts. 

Back to topic.

Benning has bought himself some time and goodwill with this draft. The province reported this morning that other teams scouts thought this was our best draft since 2004, which makes it frustrating that we didn't go with our competitive advantage in drafting and stockpiled these picks years earlier.

Linden should have done more to insulate management from the ownership group and manage the club direction . But as for Benning, been very happy with him since the TDL!

Can you elaborate on this strange inserted statement of fact? How do you know management need insulation? is this just an assumption? a hunch? a feeling you have? or is there some statement from Management or Linden stating such?

just curious where statements like this come from

Shameless plus miner!

Good thread.

Dane Fox also had a zillion goals in Junior, etc. Etc. 

I'm too used to this team's luck to get swept away with the wave of hope that occupies these boards after a draft. Lots of ifs so far for JB, not many wows. He has to get more aggressive and get on with it.

You can just picture him and Linden hovering over Aquaman's knee, with quivering lips and one hand on the dirty, sticky bandaid and the other hand partly covering their eyes. 

It's like JB has an aversion to acquiring picks heading into a draft. They say Quinn was too loyal, but JB is proving to be up there in Nonis hand-sitting territory too, by not having spent his tenure peddling off declining assets. It's been a slow tearing of the bandaid. These picks were pretty good, but this was another year where he should have had more to work with at the draft.

Here's to the hope that they have another several  great drafts, but with more picks! 

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

He models himself after Backes according to his interview after being drafted, if I recall correctly.

The A will even the field against these man child picks. Men against men now. 

Easy to push aside a 170lb check in the CHL or beat one up. Try that ship in the A and see how it goes before calling anyone the next Lucic. 

7 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Can you elaborate on this strange inserted statement of fact? How do you know management need insulation? is this just an assumption? a hunch? a feeling you have? or is there some statement from Management or Linden stating such?

Why single out just one guy here? I know you're not being rude.

I hear you, but where there's smoke...

If Aqua man hasn't been Pupper Master all this time, then Gillis and JB are inept. Lots of strange, pattern happenings for the franchise this decade, to say the least. 

If it wasn't owner meddling, then it's something much worse and the fans of the sport can smell BS. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Easy to push aside a 170lb check in the CHL or beat one up. Try that ship in the A and see how it goes before calling anyone the next Lucic. 

That'll show him for being excited about one of our prospects!

12 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It's like JB has an aversion to acquiring picks heading into a draft. 

Who exactly did they have that was expendable, that other teams were interested in and would pay fair vale for?  

The Canucks lack tradeable assets.  If their prospect pool develops accordingly THEN you might be able to see more trades for draft picks etc

24 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

The need for linden and Benning to run trades by aqualini for approval (hamhuis) as well as that owner mandated trade freeze earlier this spring reported by the media. Not to mention the part he played in hiring torts against the wishes of the gm. The whispers about the motives behind the virtanen pick since hes a local kid. That's a lot of micromanagement for an owner

It's speculation. I agree. Just like most of the things we talk around here we aren't privy to what happens in the backroom. But it's a smoking gun. 

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

To most die hard Canucks fans who've spent their life time watching the Canucks since they've come into the league would agree that the Canucks were in bad need of defenceman the first year JB got here. There were very good UFAs available at the time (Boychuk, Leddy, Niskanen, etc to name a few). He let Garrison go and replaced him with no one, he brought in Yannick Weber, Bartkowski and signed Miller.

It can be argued that if he brought in two quality UFA defencemen in his first year, kept Lack or brought in a cheap UFA goaltender (Miller got hurt in his first year and sucked in his second year), then kept the mid twenty guys rather than the plus 30 year olds, this team could have remained competitive.

When he let go Richardson, Kassian, Matthais, Garrison and kept Higgins, Burrows, and brought in Prust and did nothing to our D. I could easily predict the downward trend for this team. Hind sight is not needed here.

He finally, in year 3, has come to a realisation that most die hard Canuck fans could have told him in year one...it took "the coach of year" half a season to figure out this.

Good post

I always wondered if he wasn't in Stealth Tank the whole time.

I mean Weber AND Bart on the same team? But then he has Miller bailing them out lately, contradicting that baboonery. I don't get JB, but love that they've been the perfect $&!#show here for years now so we can pick top 5.

I mean a rookie Prez, GM, coach AND those wimpy D? It's gotta be full tank mode, but I can't reconcile it against signing Miller, an excellent goalie. Poker Face champs!  

3 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Who exactly did they have that was expendable, that other teams were interested in and would pay fair vale for?  

The Canucks lack tradeable assets.  If their prospect pool develops accordingly THEN you might be able to see more trades for draft picks etc

In his year one? Or?

Its a rhetorical question anyways. You know as well as I do what his options were.

Garrison and KB were "untradeable". You were there too.  

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That'll show him for being excited about one of our prospects!

Excited to see him play against man-sized competition? This should be where a fellow fan's mind goes after the novelty of the day is worn off. Experience. You'll have it one day, grasshopper. 

Honestly, Benning turned this into a stellar draft in the second round. I like Petterson, but you can easily see why some eyebrows were raised.

I think Benning gets a bit of a rough ride because of the last 2 drafts, which is probably fair. Taking Jake two years ago and leaving Thachuck on the table last year were questionable then and now.

But since last TDL Benning's been on the right track. A couple more drafts like this, and moving Tanev for something attractive, and things will be fun again in this town...

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Excited to see him play against man-sized competition? This should be where a fellow fan's mind goes after the novelty of the day is worn off. Experience. You'll have it one day, grasshopper. 

There's a difference between expressing curiosity over how well a prospects game will transfer and completely undermining a prospect.

4 hours ago, bohoforpresident said:

How can soneone say something so accurate and then so wildly unfounded in the same breath?

NO ONE can say how much weight he will be able to put on and how fast. Though I have a really hard time believing a 6' 2" 18 year old kid with his athleticism couldn't eventually hit 190lbs.

He reportedly gained 10 lbs last year which is probably a good pace for him to go at. The goal is quality weight not whatever the hell Virtanen ate last summer. 

Also he already plays in a men's league and hasn't been killed....Swedes mind you . ... but men none the less :P Jkkkkk

Agree he's playing with Swedish men, but if you watch his games he's already playing a very heavy perimeter game.  That will not work here, too many teams block passes & shots from the outside.  I think he plays out there to avoid physical contact which is a hard habit to break.  I don't like the pick & feel that Glass was the kind of player we shouldn't have missed.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

There's a difference between expressing curiosity over how well a prospects game will transfer and completely undermining a prospect.

Say what you mean. 

Did I "completely undermine a prospect" here?

Do you best to not misquote folks here or provoke/troll. 

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Say what you mean. 

Did I "completely undermine a prospect" here?

Do you best to not misquote folks here or provoke/troll. 

Yes, you did.

Also, I certainly didn't "misquote" you. Misquoting you would be doing this...

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Do you best to not call out my bs or provoke trolls such as myself. 

39 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Nice troll job, again.

Where is the undermining here? How about the complete undermining?

Don't answer that, a spade is a spade. If I have to put you on ignore, so be it. Or, just grow up and follow the rules. 

Archived