The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News says we just picked three first rounders.

IBatch

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Nice comment, I agree with most of it with the exception of Gaunce, he has some serious competition following this draft and throw in Virtanen ( I'm projecting bottom six for now ), Labate, Chaput come to mind as well....which is good for both Gaunce and the team.

I agree, Gaunce is in tough.  If he really wants it, as he says he does, he better get after it.  Vegas didn't take him...

Some people were raggin' on Willie for Megna and Chaput but I thought Chaput played well for us, is more effective, and plays bigger than Gaunce (and looked good with the Sedins).

To finish that thought, I think Megna was meant for Utica but the big club was so decimated, we needed his professional play (even if AHL).

Even though we've lost Burr and the Badger, there is lots of competition on the wings (and pretty well every position on the team).

This is what we want.

I can't wait for prospects camp, training camp, etc.

6 hours ago, aliboy said:

I'm curious to see Palmu, could he be our version of Johny Hockey. Love small players with exeptional talent who can make their game work in the NHL, like Cliff Ronning. Here's hoping.

He's built like a fire hydrant already...little waterbug that's hard to knock off the puck could give defenseman fits trying to contain him.  I like his chances, look forward to see how well he does over the next couple years.

7 hours ago, 70seven said:

Really solid draft for Vancouver.  

Nice blend of player types with skill as the priority attribute.  

Im super happy with the First 4 picks, and optimistic that there'll be a gem between palmu and rathbone.  

Nice to add a physically punishing shut down D with Gunnarson in the late rounds as well.

All the interviews suggest that these kids are all ready quite bright with a good sense of humility.  Such key attributes when it comes to personal development.  It's really hard to work on your shortcomings if you can't admit them to yourself.  Bit of a 180 from virtanen and

mccann.

We get a playmaking high skill C, a 2 way winger, a gritty net front presence, an athletic goalie, and a mobile offensive dman....

Can't really ask for much more out of this draft honestly.  

Slow clap for benning and co.

Isn't a "slow clap" meant to be ironic and showing disapproval?  The rest of your post is quite approving.  I agree that it was a good draft and that Benning is doing a fine job, but why the "slow clap"?  GCG!

Benning just needs to lay off the overpriced UFA's and re-signing of current players.  He's done a better job of re-signing players but I guess we'll see what number and term Miller comes in at before I pass judgement.  If it's anything over 3.5 million with a term greater than 2 years that would seriously suck.  Otherwise it'd be better to just sign Condon or Elliott as they had similar numbers as Miller and will likely come at a cheaper cost.

I loved this little gem from our 3rd round pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jeff-mareks-favourite-radar-picks-2017-nhl-draft/

Michael DiPietro, Vancouver Canucks.

DiPietro is one of the most exciting goaltenders in his draft class to watch. He battles on every puck. He’s not the biggest goalie in the draft, but that’s never been an issue at any level for him, as we saw at the Memorial Cup where he led his Windsor Spitfires to the championship. And with all due respect to Dylan Strome, I thought DiPietro should have been named tournament MVP.

Funny story: When one team at the NHL told him “We don’t think you can play in the NHL with our team, you’re too small” at the combine, he fired back with “well, I guess you have a problem with winning, then.” How do you not like that?

6 hours ago, PLOGUE said:

So when the Hockey News posts anything that's even slightly negative towards the Canucks they are a bunch of idiots who know nothing about hockey, but they post this and they are great writers with tons of knowledge?

I officially hate our first pick.  I don't like it one bit and I am not convinced that Pettersson will ever play a single game in the NHL.  No way he puts on 30-40 lbs, which he would need in order to not get killed.  There were way better options than a 165lb softy Swede.  Hate this pick.

Nailed the first paragraph lol...cough cough 63 pointz!!!!  Er da bloggerz hater on us!! Dey don't knowz things!!!!!

69 points lol.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Which is then completely undermined by the second paragraph. Go figure.

Well he certainly has the right to not be happy with the pick.  It would be worth you reading the few pages of the thread leading up to the pick followed by the few after.  Hilarious really.

imo this pick like most of our prospects seem to be ceiling type, project, maybe, if,?, prospects.

most cdcers had major ragers for nearly every draftee not named petterson.

and considering that jake is still a huge question mark there is easily a justifiable reason to doubt this pick just as it is reasonable to support it.

ive been watching this team for a few decades but I'll admit I'm skeptical of this pick.  I'm bored of perimeter hockey.  The sedins are done.  The team is currently as soft as it has ever been and I'm not interested in another decade of pacifist hockey.  I do like some of the potential we have but I'm not doing back flips over our top pick.

glass etc comparison is to getzlaf. I don't know about you but I watched every duck playoff game.  And this team needs a ryan getzlaf more than anything.  Maybe it's Bo. Let's hope.

lol @ people suggesting it was Benning's genius plan all along to waste time and assets for 2.5 years.

We're finally trading away older players and stockpiling picks and now we see that he's a true genius?

Newslfash: that's exactly what the Benning doubters wanted from day 1.

He's had a great last ~5 months. Now let's hope he doesn't piss it all away in when free agency opens like he did last July.

I'm very happy we're finally on the right track. Here's hoping it continues for the foreseeable future.

14 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

It's to see a little optimism around here for once.

Don't kid yourself, this place is a love-fest compared to other Canucks forums.

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Well he certainly has the right to not be happy with the pick.  It would be worth you reading the few pages of the thread leading up to the pick followed by the few after.  Hilarious really.

imo this pick like most of our prospects seem to be ceiling type, project, maybe, if,?, prospects.

most cdcers had major ragers for nearly every draftee not named petterson.

and considering that jake is still a huge question mark there is easily a justifiable reason to doubt this pick just as it is reasonable to support it.

ive been watching this team for a few decades but I'll admit I'm skeptical of this pick.  I'm bored of perimeter hockey.  The sedins are done.  The team is currently as soft as it has ever been and I'm not interested in another decade of pacifist hockey.  I do like some of the potential we have but I'm not doing back flips over our top pick.

glass etc comparison is to getzlaf. I don't know about you but I watched every duck playoff game.  And this team needs a ryan getzlaf more than anything.  Maybe it's Bo. Let's hope.

So you agree with the poster's xenophobic slant towards Swedes? Good to know.

1 hour ago, amplified0ne said:

Benning just needs to lay off the overpriced UFA's and re-signing of current players.  He's done a better job of re-signing players but I guess we'll see what number and term Miller comes in at before I pass judgement.  If it's anything over 3.5 million with a term greater than 2 years that would seriously suck.  Otherwise it'd be better to just sign Condon or Elliott as they had similar numbers as Miller and will likely come at a cheaper cost.

I would say they need to be quite active in the UFA market.  Losing Try and Sbisa has created a huge problem on the backend, one that can more easily be addressed with free agency.  They may have to over spend a bit, but they need to reinforce that dcorp in a big way.

8 hours ago, DSVII said:

It's just as tiring arguing against this strawman. 

Almost all rebuild advocates here agree that scorched earth isn't ideal but veteran support can also be found cheaper dipping in free agency rather than paying premiums and futures for them and signing them to long term boat anchor contracts. 

Back to topic.

Benning has bought himself some time and goodwill with this draft. The province reported this morning that other teams scouts thought this was our best draft since 2004, which makes it frustrating that we didn't go with our competitive advantage in drafting and stockpiled these picks years earlier.

Linden should have done more to insulate management from the ownership group and manage the club direction . But as for Benning, been very happy with him since the TDL!

I agree with you on cheaper veteran options, I more meant not filling the entire roster with rookies.

Eriksson was a bad contract. And trading away picks and prospects is not helping our cause.

That's why no A for Benning.

Assuming the ufas people mention actually would have came here is a different story. 

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

I agree, Gaunce is in tough.  If he really wants it, as he says he does, he better get after it.  Vegas didn't take him...

Some people were raggin' on Willie for Megna and Chaput but I thought Chaput played well for us, is more effective, and plays bigger than Gaunce (and looked good with the Sedins).

To finish that thought, I think Megna was meant for Utica but the big club was so decimated, we needed his professional play (even if AHL).

Even though we've lost Burr and the Badger, there is lots of competition on the wings (and pretty well every position on the team).

This is what we want.

I can't wait for prospects camp, training camp, etc.

BG's spot on the roster is rock solid.  He will be an important player on the team by the end of the season. 

8 hours ago, DSVII said:

It's just as tiring arguing against this strawman. 

Almost all rebuild advocates here agree that scorched earth isn't ideal but veteran support can also be found cheaper dipping in free agency rather than paying premiums and futures for them and signing them to long term boat anchor contracts. 

Back to topic.

Benning has bought himself some time and goodwill with this draft. The province reported this morning that other teams scouts thought this was our best draft since 2004, which makes it frustrating that we didn't go with our competitive advantage in drafting and stockpiled these picks years earlier.

Linden should have done more to insulate management from the ownership group and manage the club direction . But as for Benning, been very happy with him since the TDL!

The tanking would have cost him his job as well. Most GM's who tank and get that superstar are usually fired after a year or two.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I would say they need to be quite active in the UFA market.  Losing Try and Sbisa has created a huge problem on the backend, one that can more easily be addressed with free agency.  They may have to over spend a bit, but they need to reinforce that dcorp in a big way.

As long as they don't throw around money and term.  Like a couple 5/6 D-men for a year or two at most.

Archived