The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hockey News says we just picked three first rounders.

IBatch

So when the Hockey News posts anything that's even slightly negative towards the Canucks they are a bunch of idiots who know nothing about hockey, but they post this and they are great writers with tons of knowledge?

I officially hate our first pick.  I don't like it one bit and I am not convinced that Pettersson will ever play a single game in the NHL.  No way he puts on 30-40 lbs, which he would need in order to not get killed.  There were way better options than a 165lb softy Swede.  Hate this pick.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Before the anti-Benning sentiment gets too much traction, including by yours truly with my initial knee jerk reaction to passing on some good old Canadian boys for Pettersson, I think it's important to consider we just came out with three guys that have the pedigree and expert support to be considered guys that easily could have gone on in the first round.

Lind was considered no. 24 by international scouting services and ranked 27th by THN.   30 goals, 57 assists, 87 points in 70gp for Kelowna WHL.  Scouts say : " He's one of those guys you look at the scoresheet and he had a little more of an impact on the game than you thought he did.  When you think of a player who can move quickly and make plays at a high pace and tempo, that's him.  He's not a heavy guy, but he does have skill."

Not too shabby at all.

Gadjovich was ranked 31 by THN, which would put him as the last pick of the first round.  He has NHL size already 6 2 202 and knows how to score with 46 goals and 28 assists for 74 points in 60 games for Owen Sound of the OHL.  Some point out his meteoric rise has a lot to do with Suzuki as a line mate, others say they mutually benefited given Jonah's willingness to go into the dirty areas.

Scouts say " he gets to play with Suzuki because he does things other guys won't do. He's big enough and strong enough to do it." 

"He plays a really hard, heavy game.  He's not the greatest skater, but he knows his way around the net and shown the ability to play with top talent."

Some could say we just drafted an entire, complete scoring line, with an Uber skilled center, a complete RW in Lind and gritty guy who can play with top skill and make them better in Gadjovich.  

Benning according to some lists, just managed to select three first rounders with only one first round selection, and filled each forward position with same age guys to boot.  

Training camp is going to be exciting, I wouldnt at all be surprised with the additions of Dahlen and Goldobin plus these guys if our prospect pool just went up three or four spots from last year, which would put us in at around eight.  That's impressive considering only a few years ago we sat at 30.

Benning deserves two more years minimum based on this feat alone,  i can't think of any other GM that has managed to turn their prospect pool around that much in the same length of time.

If you were to mark his draft i would give him an A.  Thoughts?

Totally agree, he deserves to see his draft picks start playing NHL games...at this pace (considering the number of NHL caliber draft picks) the team will start see a significant upswing (especially considering the type of players he is drafting - high IQ, hard working but skilled players). 

Many of his detractors complain that there are no high end prospects but I think many will pan out better than people expect. Plus a constantly overlooked aspect of Benning's skill is that the more NHL level prospects you have, the more leverage you have to trade multiple prospects for established NHLers. In two more years this franchise will be chalk full of players knocking on the NHL door.

I'll give benning credit.  I liked this draft.  I don't know how glass/vilardi will pan out, but I'm glad they're not repeating the nylander/ehlers mistake and aren't afraid with going for the smaller skilled guy this time.  Have to give benning a lot of credit for that!  Now let's start pettersson on the virtanen diet!

Linden and Benning's first two years and maybe a third were both a Gillis mop up job and slow dismantling of a core without losing leadership and control of the locker room.

These two men are now into part three: assembling and piecing together the next generation of young stars with depth supporters.

I like the job the brass have done to date, I am patient with the processs and we'll be seeing results over the short term. I am going to enjoy watching their development and progress.

29 minutes ago, Tajun said:

Good draft overall. My one concern is that our defense, with the losses of Tryamkin and Sbisa, is looking pretty soft (and likely moreso in the future), and not spectacular. We could really use some highly talented, ideally big and mobile defensemen to counteract McDavid and the other stars in the league, if we want a chance at a cup within the next half-decade to decade range. A lotto win next year would be absolutely huge for this club.

I'm expecting a bottom pair free agent LHD this year

43 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

@Kosmo Kramer, I'll give Benning a "B" also. This draft...if the players fully develop to their potential, is definitely his best draft. Again, at FULL POTENTIAL, we picked:

1) a top line playmaking center

2) a top six playmaking two way winger

3) a top six goal scorer, with some definite grit in his game

4) a good to very good goalie

5) remainder are really good AHL players with call-up possibilities, with Parmu having the skill to play middle six in the NHL, just have to be wary of the size mismatches.

Not bad at all!

His first draft yielded 5 NHL players (if you count Demko) so if this is his best draft, that will be saying something.

It's just gut instinct but I have a good feeling about this draft - add that to how I feel about Brisebois, Lockwood, Gaudette and the 1st round picks and things are positive. Will be interesting to see the AHL team in two years.

11 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

So when the Hockey News posts anything that's even slightly negative towards the Canucks they are a bunch of idiots who know nothing about hockey, but they post this and they are great writers with tons of knowledge?

I officially hate our first pick.  I don't like it one bit and I am not convinced that Pettersson will ever play a single game in the NHL.  No way he puts on 30-40 lbs, which he would need in order to not get killed.  There were way better options than a 165lb softy Swede.  Hate this pick.

Gave you a rep for the 1st statement there. 

The 2nd one,  not so sure about that  - this kid's got skill and you can't teach that - weight / strength can be gained over time. 

45 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

true, but its nice to have real reasons for optimism now :lol: its starting to get fun again watching the prospect pool build up, its been a very long time since we had even this much depth in the system. 

29 minutes ago, Tajun said:

Good draft overall. My one concern is that our defense, with the losses of Tryamkin and Sbisa, is looking pretty soft (and likely moreso in the future), and not spectacular. We could really use some highly talented, ideally big and mobile defensemen to counteract McDavid and the other stars in the league, if we want a chance at a cup within the next half-decade to decade range. A lotto win next year would be absolutely huge for this club.

I agree with @S'all Good Man that there is more reason now for optimism about the future that at any time in the last 5 years. The prospect pool got a big boost in this draft. I still would have preferred Glass over Pettersson and I don't think potential chemistry with Dahlen is a good reason for favouring Petterson in what was apparently a very close decision for the Canucks. But I agree that Pettersson was a good pick. I know that his league-adjusted scoring was excellent last year but the other dimensions of his game are not as strong. Overall I see him as somewhere in the Nylander/Ehlers range but with a lot of uncertainty. It will be interesting to compare Pettersson and Glass at the WJC next year.

But I really like the two second rounders and Dipietro. As the OP says, the Canucks got two guys in the second round who could easily have been low first rounders. And they add some desperately need grit to the prospect pool. And Dipietro was a steal in the 3rd round.

But I don't buy the argument that Benning has been doing a great job all along.

46 minutes ago, DSVII said:

It's just as tiring arguing against this strawman. 

Almost all rebuild advocates here agree that scorched earth isn't ideal but veteran support can also be found cheaper dipping in free agency rather than paying premiums and futures for them and signing them to long term boat anchor contracts. 

Back to topic.

Benning has bought himself some time and goodwill with this draft. The province reported this morning that other teams scouts thought this was our best draft since 2004, which makes it frustrating that we didn't go with our competitive advantage in drafting and stockpiled these picks years earlier.

Linden should have done more to insulate management from the ownership group and manage the club direction . But as for Benning, been very happy with him since the TDL!

Absolutely the right call. I don't know who was the primary advocate of the "retool while making the playoffs" strategy -- later adjusted to the "rebuild while remaining competitive" strategy. Maybe it was Aquillini. Maybe it was Benning. (I am pretty sure it was not Linden.) But the Canucks have just come off arguably the two worst years in franchise history relative to reasonable expectations. That strategy did not work and just delayed the rebuild.

This year, finally, the Canucks made the right moves at the deadline, did not trade away any significant picks, and made good selections with the picks they had. But, in my view, this is the first time that Benning has put everything together.

23 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Well I'm glad they aren't drafting just to put a smile on some fans face. 

I was skeptical at first because of course I was leaning towards a big Canadian centre, or a sexy D-man. The Pettersson pick fell flat for me, but I'm always willing to be convinced. And it usually doesn't take long. lol.

But I like this pick...he could be a Zetterberg or a Forsberg...you never know.

Also, by picking two big Canadian players next, that scored a bunch in the WHL and OHL, the Canucks more than make up for any "grit" lost by picking Pettersson. And Pettersson is 6'2"...when he grows to man size he won't be small.

I think our forward group is looking good going ahead. We've seemingly got a good mix of European style skilled players (Goldobin, Dahlen, Pettersson, Baertschi, Palmu) and Canadian style skilled players (Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Gadjovich, Lind)

Plus my boy Gaunce is about to have a breakout season (if he heals up quickly)! And Granlund's got some game.

31 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

How can soneone say something so accurate and then so wildly unfounded in the same breath?

NO ONE can say how much weight he will be able to put on and how fast. Though I have a really hard time believing a 6' 2" 18 year old kid with his athleticism couldn't eventually hit 190lbs.

He reportedly gained 10 lbs last year which is probably a good pace for him to go at. The goal is quality weight not whatever the hell Virtanen ate last summer. 

Also he already plays in a men's league and hasn't been killed....Swedes mind you . ... but men none the less :P Jkkkkk

3 hours ago, Sweathog said:

Benning is slowly and quietly building a winner, most underrated GM in the league. I agree his work this draft ranks an A.

I think if we luck out and get a top 3 pick next year. We are going to start seeing Benning start to utilize the depth in the prospect pool for big acquisitions. Although originally when they drafted Elias over Cody, i was a bit stunned. I see why he did everything in this draft. He had really good strategy. 

22 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

He doesn't need to gain 30-40 pounds though. 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Before the anti-Benning sentiment gets too much traction, including by yours truly with my initial knee jerk reaction to passing on some good old Canadian boys for Pettersson, I think it's important to consider we just came out with three guys that have the pedigree and expert support to be considered guys that easily could have gone on in the first round.

Lind was considered no. 24 by international scouting services and ranked 27th by THN.   30 goals, 57 assists, 87 points in 70gp for Kelowna WHL.  Scouts say : " He's one of those guys you look at the scoresheet and he had a little more of an impact on the game than you thought he did.  When you think of a player who can move quickly and make plays at a high pace and tempo, that's him.  He's not a heavy guy, but he does have skill."

Not too shabby at all.

Gadjovich was ranked 31 by THN, which would put him as the last pick of the first round.  He has NHL size already 6 2 202 and knows how to score with 46 goals and 28 assists for 74 points in 60 games for Owen Sound of the OHL.  Some point out his meteoric rise has a lot to do with Suzuki as a line mate, others say they mutually benefited given Jonah's willingness to go into the dirty areas.

Scouts say " he gets to play with Suzuki because he does things other guys won't do. He's big enough and strong enough to do it." 

"He plays a really hard, heavy game.  He's not the greatest skater, but he knows his way around the net and shown the ability to play with top talent."

Some could say we just drafted an entire, complete scoring line, with an Uber skilled center, a complete RW in Lind and gritty guy who can play with top skill and make them better in Gadjovich.  

Benning according to some lists, just managed to select three first rounders with only one first round selection, and filled each forward position with same age guys to boot.  

Training camp is going to be exciting, I wouldnt at all be surprised with the additions of Dahlen and Goldobin plus these guys if our prospect pool just went up three or four spots from last year, which would put us in at around eight.  That's impressive considering only a few years ago we sat at 30.

Benning deserves two more years minimum based on this feat alone,  i can't think of any other GM that has managed to turn their prospect pool around that much in the same length of time.

If you were to mark his draft i would give him an A.  Thoughts?

I think that they are examining their scouting staff and sounds like there will be some fine tuning.  Drafting and developing is the key for the  long term.

Nice to see that it is a priority.

I really like those picks. I am limited to highlights and hearsay, but what I see/hear seems pretty good.

What I notice is that each is a component of what you'd want on a top line.

They all seem to have the smarts, and the work ethic...

If there's a base line you want to work from this is it.

What I see in highlights most is hockey IQ - they each get to spots - which is what Gretzky says is most important (be where the puck is going to be - not where it is).

Boesser, Bo, Dahlen, Goldy, maybe the college kids - things are starting to look better.

1 hour ago, bohoforpresident said:

How can soneone say something so accurate and then so wildly unfounded in the same breath?

NO ONE can say how much weight he will be able to put on and how fast. Though I have a really hard time believing a 6' 2" 18 year old kid with his athleticism couldn't eventually hit 190lbs.

He reportedly gained 10 lbs last year which is probably a good pace for him to go at. The goal is quality weight not whatever the hell Virtanen ate last summer. 

Also he already plays in a men's league and hasn't been killed....Swedes mind you . ... but men none the less :P Jkkkkk

The twins have never been big. They are going to close out their careers as 1k point players in the dead puck era. 

It is entirely possible that he can play at 185-190 lbs.  Especially if he has some meat and potatoes one the wings. 

The ink is dry and his adjusted numbers are the best in the draft. Maybe we can wait and see if this guy can gain enough weight.  Wait for weight.... lol. 

Benning has done a fair job since he has taken over. Its just that i believe that ownership has embraced this rebuild and thus allowed benning to make his picks. I still think that virtanen pick was more ownership related rather than JB. Aquilinis have got to stop interfering with hockey decisions and let guys do their jobs.

5 hours ago, Sweathog said:

Benning is slowly and quietly building a winner, most underrated GM in the league. I agree his work this draft ranks an A.

I had no insight into Lind, and granted just watched Youtube highlights but I don't understand why this Kid fell to the 2nd round. His speed, hands and mobility are top 6, he's got size and apparently is a hard working character player? Gadjovich, ok maybe the skating is a knock so 2nd/3rd round but Lind? Makes no sense, and Gadjovich's skating is not 'bad' it can just use improvement

Gadjovich go work out with Bo's skating coach

Peterrson go eat with Virtanen lol

Lind - just do what you do

100% in agreement

Archived