The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My pet peeve with this team

Odd.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Next year this team will probably be Horvats. Is he the type of player you want?

He is as close to Doan as we can get in the modern NHL.

I'd rather he was more of an Iginla in the toughness department, but beggars can't be choosers.

We are lucky to have him. He is a Brind'Amour. We need a Lindros or Francis to go with him though, not a bunch of sub 200lb perimeter PP guys. He can't do it all. Or can he??

9 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

He is as close to Doan as we can get in the modern NHL.

I'd rather he was more of an Iginla in the toughness department, but beggars can't be choosers.

We are lucky to have him. He is a Brind'Amour. We need a Lindros or Francis to go with him though, not a bunch of sub 200lb perimeter PP guys. He can't do it all. Or can he??

I get the feeling that Boeser is not a push over. Gaudette is also the type of player who will not be pushed around. He reminds me a little of Kesler.  Virtanen and now Gadjovick are in our system.

I think our new management see's things like we do. Linden was asked if they would consider signing a player like Kane. He avoided talking about Kane in general but said that there was a place for players who brought an edge to their game. Benning came from Boston, need I say any more.

I expect this club to have a mix of skill and grit once it is done.

Bo had his first fight last year, did he not?

29 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I get the feeling that Boeser is not a push over. Gaudette is also the type of player who will not be pushed around. He reminds me a little of Kesler.  Virtanen and now Gadjovick are in our system.

I think our new management see's things like we do. Linden was asked if they would consider signing a player like Kane. He avoided talking about Kane in general but said that there was a place for players who brought an edge to their game. Benning came from Boston, need I say any more.

I expect this club to have a mix of skill and grit once it is done.

Bo had his first fight last year, did he not?

That wasn't a fight, haha those guys were just faking it for show.

I am as optimistic about those kids as you are, but they are leagues away from a regular shift in the NHL, if they even make it. Odds are that one will. 

I hope to Thor that JB builds a rugged team. A mix of Columbus and Pittsburg would be nice. Chicago would be great too. Why is he waiting though? Each signing he makes suggests he wants to stay status quo. Runts and softish guys galore. When we see him trade for a young Hartnell or Even Jenner, I will reassess my opinion of what direction things are heading in. 

Any idenitity will work. Skilled or tough, I don't mind, but would rather a tough playoff team. Someone to root for in a losing cause would be nice. I'm not one to celebrate the victim, as has been the Canucks brand of late. 

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

That wasn't a fight, haha those guys were just faking it for show.

I am as optimistic about those kids as you are, but they are leagues away from a regular shift in the NHL, if they even make it. Odds are that one will. 

I hope to Thor that JB builds a rugged team. A mix of Columbus and Pittsburg would be nice. Chicago would be great too. Why is he waiting though? Each signing he makes suggests he wants to stay status quo. Runts and softish guys galore. When we see him trade for a young Hartnell or Even Jenner, I will reassess my opinion of what direction things are heading in. 

Any idenitity will work. Skilled or tough, I don't mind, but would rather a tough playoff team. Someone to root for in a losing cause would be nice. I'm not one to celebrate the victim, as has been the Canucks brand of late. 

I am willing to suggest that Horvat would be a handful in a fight. Toughness is not something I care about. I would use the word grit and say that it comes in all sizes. I just want to watch a team who does not back down. Maybe even a little dirty, when required.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I am willing to suggest that Horvat would be a handful in a fight. Toughness is not something I care about. I would use the word grit and say that it comes in all sizes. I just want to watch a team who does not back down. Maybe even a little dirty, when required.

In a new concussion adverse NHL, this is ideal.

Remember when he tried to get Vlad The Tank to fight in his rookie year?

Dropped his gloves and all, if I recall. That would have been a great strength match.

Been waiting for a mature Horvat weight. Always figured he'd play at 225, as a man. Heavy. 

Wondering how the heck some of you determine grit or softness when we haven't played a game as a team yet?  Anybody can be/play gritty...it isn't measured purely by size.  So I honestly feel we should see what happens before we actually assess it?  Just how I roll...

15 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Wondering how the heck some of you determine grit or softness when we haven't played a game as a team yet?  Anybody can be/play gritty...it isn't measured purely by size.  So I honestly feel we should see what happens before we actually assess it?  Just how I roll...

You wonder?

I think the lack of capacity to fight for space and respect on the ice is what's being questioned in this thread. The word physicality has been repeatedly used as a reference too.

You are free to "wait" to "assess" what is quite obvious, on paper, today, until you see it on the ice, but this is literally a carbon copy of last year's roster when it comes to character, size and snarl. It can be assessed right now with a high degree of accuracy, as the roster stands. 

Unless Kassian and Jenner are joining the top 6 or something I've missed, the roster can be pretty easily imagined. 

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You wonder?

I think the lack of capacity to fight for space and respect on the ice is what's being questioned in this thread. The word physicality has been repeatedly used as a reference too.

You are free to "wait" to "assess" what is quite obvious, on paper, today, until you see it on the ice, but this is literally a carbon copy of last year's roster when it comes to character, size and snarl. It can be assessed right now with a high degree of accuracy, as the roster stands. 

Unless Kassian and Jenner are joining the top 6 or something I've missed, the roster can be pretty easily imagined. 

We haven't had a year of Gudbranson yet. Do Upshall and White stick? Will Dorsett be healthy? Obviously not all these guys will stick. I do believe this roster will be harder to play. 

Jovo and Ohlund had a calculated toughness about them. They hit for effect and could be very intimidating. Edler showed it until his injury. 

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

We haven't had a year of Gudbranson yet. Do Upshall and White stick? Will Dorsett be healthy? Obviously not all these guys will stick. I do believe this roster will be harder to play. 

Jovo and Ohlund had a calculated toughness about them. They hit for effect and could be very intimidating. Edler showed it until his injury. 

So, you're stating that if our 5th Dman and a few sub 200lb 4rth liners stay healthy, the Canucks will be harder to play against. I don't disagree, but pushback that rides the pine is not helping matters.

I'm a huge Guddy supporter, but recognize his limitations and fear he will be in the box too much having to do the police work. That leaves the team in a position to be pushed around.

They were really pushed around last year. This might be a little less now, but how much? 

12 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

So, you're stating that if our 5th Dman and a few sub 200lb 4rth liners stay healthy, the Canucks will be harder to play against. I don't disagree, but pushback that rides the pine is not helping matters.

I'm a huge Guddy supporter, but recognize his limitations and fear he will be in the box too much having to do the police work. That leaves the team in a position to be pushed around.

They were really pushed around last year. This might be a little less now, but how much? 

If you are right about Gudbranson being a 5D then Benning may as well trade him as a pending UFA. I have higher hopes but that is simply hope and not necessarily reality. I still prefer either Tanev or Edler be dealt simply because of potential return especially if draft picks come back for a strong 2018 draft.

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Maybe if LaBate has a stellar camp and makes the opening night roster people's opinions will change?  Not too remote a possibility.

I think a lot depends on how able to go Dorsett is. That could open the door for a guy for Labate or White maybe even Upshall etc.

My pet peeve is that the Canucks website roster page still doesn't have Brock's face foto (nor Dahlen or Molino among the forwards, and Holm among the defensemen, but those are more understandable)

Come on, Nux staff, get Brock's photo up

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

If you are right about Gudbranson being a 5D then Benning may as well trade him as a pending UFA. I have higher hopes but that is simply hope and not necessarily reality. I still prefer either Tanev or Edler be dealt simply because of potential return especially if draft picks come back for a strong 2018 draft.

Edler

Tanev

Stetcher

x

x

x

I agree completely and understand your vision of rebuild. I'm dissapointed this hasn't happened yet. 

Until they are traded, the physicality plays all the pk and checking shifts, plus those 80 penalty minutes a season. That doesn't leave much room for setting the tone, shift-to-shift. And DD, well his 8minutes a night of middle weight toughness is an embarrassment to Fans watching him, like Pizza, bravely get beat up because they are the only players who don't shy away. Celebrate the victim! 

This culture is led by guys who pick up their bully's sticks. It's the softest few years ever here. Long-term fans can attest to this as fact. No need to 'minus' me about that like was done above by a someone when I agreed to a post stating this, but the thought police still do. 

(Hate to admit it, but as a fan of Guddy, the best thing for his career would be a trade to Toronto or even Edmonton)

22 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Deb - you are better than to take that bait.   This has been a schtick for a couple for a while now and it comes into every thread.   No matter how much logical discussion is tried, it doesn't matter.   

How you roll is just fine....

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Maybe if LaBate has a stellar camp and makes the opening night roster people's opinions will change?  Not too remote a possibility.

I sure hope this is the case, but have to remain realistic because of the team's history and predictability in this department. This has to be the most exciting preseason in ages. We get to see everyone get a serious crack at the roster this year, if they earn it. You can sense that ANY element that increases the physicality and energy will make the cut because of the chasm in that department. Is White or Labate going to scare Getzlaf and Perry or Tkachuck into walking a straight line? 

The physicality has to play enough to matter. You know that. 

The Canucks could put out a line of 3 Ryan Reaves and if all they do is play a few shifts here and there, it makes no difference.

Until toughness and snarl is taking regular, meaningful shifts and taking liberties each game, the roster looks to be as soft as it can get, outside of the 4th line, which even as a 4th line is pretty meh for physicality and intimidatiion in the corners. 

I really hope Labate and a few of his ilk take a step forward this season and that a few PTO's or trades are still coming to at least make a 3rd line have some angry to it, never mind the top 6 where it's most needed. 

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

(Hate to admit it, but as a fan of Guddy, the best thing for his career would be a trade to Toronto or even Edmonton)

You are hilarious!   You consistently scream about soft and small yet want to trade one of the largest and least soft players in the NHL.   

Not sure what happened to you in life to be so worried about being beaten up, but professional hockey players are tough and they will be fine.   You don't need to keep projecting this fear/concern.  You really don't. 

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Deb - you are better than to take that bait.   This has been a schtick for a couple for a while now and it comes into every thread.   No matter how much logical discussion is tried, it doesn't matter.   

How you roll is just fine....

Hey Zepp, if you were to post a projected roster that shows this superior "logic" concerning the current discussion on roster softness aka lack of push back and physicality, where it matters, I might think you had something to contribute other than your emotions. 

Whatever you do, don't take the bait here. Please just allow the few who see the roster's weakness to remain as illogical and tiresome about the subject of physicality. 

Archived