The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My pet peeve with this team

Odd.

I don't really care about pushback at this point. I care about developing a good team.

Edmonton and Calgary are getting more pushback because they actually have good teams now with the potential to make a run in the playoffs. THAT is when you sign those types of "pushback players". While it may be good to have a couple of players who will stand up for other players (and we do), if that's our focus right now, then I would be questioning the ability of the GM in charge (thankfully it's clearly not our focus).

We need a good team first before we even think about pushback.

Canucks have/had some pretty decent prospects that would fit the bill: Virtanen, Pedan, Tryamkin, Gadjovich, and if Kassian had decided to get his $&!# togther here instead of EDM we'd be better off as well.

It's too bad Tryamkin bailed.  He's a guy who could have been a momentum changer with his hits

You don't have to actually fight though. That is what Willie was trying to get through to Tryamkin.

Who was fighting in the Pens or Preds teams? You need to be tough (like we were in 2011) i.e. hard on the forecheck, clear the crease, stand your ground and "fight" for the right to occupy the opposition crease.

St Louis had one of the top fighters in the League, what good did it do them?

I think we have players who can play hard. Players like Granlund Baertschi, Bo, Gaunce, Sutter, Gagner, Burmistrov, Del Zotto, Guddy, Edler, Hutton Biega, can all play hard and physical.

That said some of the lighter players are bound to get injured playing that style of game every night. I want to see what guys like Jake, Gad, MacEwen, Gunnarsson, Lockwood, Gaudette, LaBate, Holm, Cassels, will bring to the table.

5 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

i just want this team back at a brand of hockey, to where you drop everything you're doing to watch these games, instead of it being on as random background noise

Spoken like a true bandwaggoner.

Really? Background noise? The thought of "your" team struggling, fighting, trying to compete and get better every night is not enough to drag you away from your knitting?

You poor soul - man, once these players who are knocking their pan out get to know of your indifference, I'm sure it will keep them up all night, fretting.

Odd,

Getting that top six with size, grit and skill is not easy or cheap.  They tried to rush Virtannen and it almost (still could) ended in disaster.  The beating he took in NJ changed his demeanour on the ice in his rookie season.  Horvat has matured and isn't a push over.  I hope to see him engage a but more physically to separate d men from pucks this year.  Gaunce is not a wee guy either and people way underrate him.  He also needs to engage more physically.  Moving Gaunce to the wing would encourage that.  Getting an NHL contribution from Jake would also go along way.  But he can't do it alone.  

Jake has worked on his shortcomings last year, he looks to very focused and training properly this offseason and he Green as the head coach.  In many ways, Jake has things lined up to turn the corner this year.  Added to that, Utica is getting reinforcements, Demko is adjusted to the AHL and there will be at least one of Boeser, Dalhen or Goldy to play with down there.  

Getting white on a PTO and a healthy Guddy cannot be overlooked.  Losing Trymakin for few years really sucks but it opens the door for Pedan to show he can be a 7/8 d man and spare winger this year.  Gadjovich is a serious dude.  He is a sleeper pick. Two years away from now he will start knocking on the door.  

It won't be this season, but the push back is building.  The only way that could have been shorter is going for Lucic vs Loui.  Is see a very deep club in the next few season with a solid pipeline.  Short cuts hurt the club and unfortunately we need to be patient.  

EmW

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You don't have to actually fight though. That is what Willie was trying to get through to Tryamkin.

Who was fighting in the Pens or Preds teams? You need to be tough (like we were in 2011) i.e. hard on the forecheck, clear the crease, stand your ground and "fight" for the right to occupy the opposition crease.

St Louis had one of the top fighters in the League, what good did it do them?

I think we have players who can play hard. Players like Granlund Baertschi, Bo, Gaunce, Sutter, Gagner, Burmistrov, Del Zotto, Guddy, Edler, Hutton Biega, can all play hard and physical.

That said some of the lighter players are bound to get injured playing that style of game every night. I want to see what guys like Jake, Gad, MacEwen, Gunnarsson, Lockwood, Gaudette, LaBate, Holm, Cassels, will bring to the table.

Watched Weircioch in Ottawa and am stoked we have him on defense now too and scratching my head as to how we were able to get him in the first place.  Similar size to Gudbranson ( virtually identical), hits like a truck and makes safe plays up the ice.  He's not Tryamkin, but does take the sting out of losing him a little.

i'm fine with the team. as long as they dig and finish their checks, i'm good. when benning wanted skill and toughness and drafted virtanen, everyone said we should have taken the smaller more skill guys. they have tough guy, white coming to camp. does get to play over the skilled players.? players, just have to use the skills that they have to be the best they can be.

I think this problem starts with this team's leadership. For the longest time the Canucks have been led by non-gritty, non-physical, non-confrontational european players. The rest of the team for the most part follows their leaders example and hence we have a team of "nice guys" who get walked on frequently and slink away from adversity with their heads hung low.

Perhaps once these certain players are no longer with the Canucks, the team can then follow the example of a player like Bo Horvat, and whoever is managing the team at that time can inject more like-minded and aggressive type players into the lineup. We might still lose a lot of games but our opponents wont have any fun winning. 

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Spoken like a true bandwaggoner.

Really? Background noise? The thought of "your" team struggling, fighting, trying to compete and get better every night is not enough to drag you away from your knitting?

You poor soul - man, once these players who are knocking their pan out get to know of your indifference, I'm sure it will keep them up all night, fretting.

Funny........but not nice

Seriously though we're rebuilding. It's not a 'finished product' yet. 

Over the next few years, on top of Horvat and Gudbranson, we're going to add players like Virtanen, Gadjovich, Gaudette etc. Tryamkin may come back in a few years, we may sign E Kane next year, etc, etc...

Rome wasn't built in a day people.

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Seriously though we're rebuilding. It's not a 'finished product' yet. 

Over the next few years, on top of Horvat and Gudbranson, we're going to add players like Virtanen, Gadjovich, Gaudette etc. Tryamkin may come back in a few years, we may sign E Kane next year, etc, etc...

Rome wasn't built in a day people.

just what I was going to write, really. Bo's not a pushover. Virtanen can be very physical and annoying, Gadjovich looks to be no pushover, hopefully we can keep Guddy, and if we have enough speed and skill to stay out of our own zone more than 1/2 the time we'll be just fine. 

This is exactly why I hope guys like Gadjovich and Jake become NHLers. Gudbranson can hold it down from the back end. Jake and Jonah if development goes well can play on two separate lines to bring toughness. Bo is not a softy brings that Trevor Linden toughness. He is our Trevor Linden. I am not incredibly worried about fighters per se, just as long as they push back when other teams try take liberties. Don't need consistent hitters or fighters, just guys that don't take crap from anyone. Like Hansen and Burrows. Warriors, not fighters.

Archived