The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future looks so bright

Battlemonger

4 minutes ago, JaboVancouver said:

My apologies. I misinterpreted what you said. I do get sensitive sometimes with fans that are half glass empty (which you are not). Although I do try to restrict my anger issues to when I am driving in traffic in the lower mainland.

No worries.  I often missread things first time and my anger issues are legendary...  although i think the last few years i am doing a much better job and staying calm.

I agree totally that the Canucks seem to now have what is looking like a top line.  

Exciting time to be a Canuck fan.    I was clearly very critical of the the club management the last few years...

I am now very hopeful we have hit rock bottom last year and now on the path back up...   Great to see the triple B line leading the way. 

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

No worries.  I often missread things first time and my anger issues are legendary...  although i think the last few years i am doing a much better job and staying calm.

I agree totally that the Canucks seem to now have what is looking like a top line.  

Exciting time to be a Canuck fan.    I was clearly very critical of the the club management the last few years...

I am now very hopeful we have hit rock bottom last year and now on the path back up...   Great to see the triple B line leading the way. 

Still, have ways to go but things are looking brighter. 

6 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Sorry, I can't agree. 

I think we have a good 2nd line.

Bo for me is not a first line center. Boeser "may" be a first line winger but Baertschi is definitely a 2nd line winger at best, due mainly to consistency issues.

One of the factors often not realised about 1st line players is they bring it almost EVERY night. It's generally not how good they can look on some nights it's how good they look nearly every night. They may not score every night but they tend to be extremely influential. 

The Sedins in their prime were a classic example.

48 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Sorry, I can't agree. 

Bo for me is not a first line center. Boeser "may" be a first line winger but Baertschi is definitely a 2nd line winger at best, due mainly to consistency issues.

One of the factors often not realised about 1st line players is they bring it almost EVERY night. It's generally not how good they can look on some nights it's how good they look nearly every night. They may not score every night but they tend to be extremely influential. 

The Sedins in their prime were a classic example.

So how many first line centers do you think are in the nhl? There are 2 ways to view this.

Like are zibanejad, schenn, karlsson and Jordan stall first line centers because they are all the top centers on their respective teams? 

Or are you personally hand picking elite centers in the nhl in wich there might be 15-20 

Malkin 

Crosby 

Toews

Mathews 

Mcdavid

Bergeron

Tavares

Backstrom

Scheifle 

Eichel?

Getzlaf?

MacKinnon

Seguin

Barkov

Kopitar

On 11/5/2017 at 7:52 PM, hammertime said:

I'm fine with him as a winger 

Pettersson Bo Boeser   

Granlund Sutter Dorsett

Bae Gagner Virtanen

Loui Gaunce Goldy

Doesn't look half bad to me. We'd have the cash to persue a top pairing PPQB this team desperarely needs to the next level. 

Pettersson Bo Boeser

Now that would just be just cruel to the opposition.B)

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

So how many first line centers do you think are in the nhl? There are 2 ways to view this.

Like are zibanejad, schenn, karlsson and Jordan stall first line centers because they are all the top centers on their respective teams? 

Or are you personally hand picking elite centers in the nhl in wich there might be 15-20 

Malkin 

Crosby 

Toews

Mathews 

Mcdavid

Bergeron

Tavares

Backstrom

Scheifle 

Eichel?

Getzlaf?

MacKinnon

Seguin

Barkov

Kopitar

1st line centers = centers who would be in most of the league's first line. The centers you quote in your text would not be imo. It's that simple.

26 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

1st line centers = centers who would be in most of the league's first line. The centers you quote in your text would not be imo. It's that simple.

Fair enough. That being said we don't need to fill your criteria of a first line center to won the cup.

4 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Fair enough. That being said we don't need to fill your criteria of a first line center to won the cup.

You could be right. I see the overall team strength and a top goalie performance as being the major factors in winning a cup. 

I'm ok with not having "a first line center" or "first line wingers" but as I said Boeser may fill the wing role and we have yet to find out what Gaudette and Petersson can do - or maybe someone we have yet to draft.

What I see is the team getting nearer and nearer to being a playoff competitor and I'm fine with that. Imo we have come a long way in only 3 years, just think where we might be in another 3.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Good thing we still have Pettersson, Dahlen, Goldobin, Lind etc developing and another couple drafts while we continue rebuilding (not to mention perhaps looking at a guy like E Kane this summer) to round that top 6 out.  A future top 6 something like:

Kane, Pettersson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, Virtanen

...would hardly be a bad thing.

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Same argument I constantly make about getting a true #1D. Sure, it would be really nice to land an elite/generational 'Karlsson' or a 'Crosby' #1D / #1C but you can still build a damn good, cup contending team without them as longs as you've got a decent '1B' (or even a bunch of really solid '2A' guys) and solid depth around/behind them in those positions. You could easily argue it actually makes you a better/harder to play against team with more manageable cap and far more insulated against injuries. Also means you don't have to rely on winning the lotto or fluking on to guys in the draft.

Archived