The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future looks so bright

Battlemonger

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sorry OP... Benning sucks, his trading a 2nd for Vey will be our downfall and our prospects are mediocre at best. 

:bigblush:

Give your head a shake??? 
Big deal all GM have a few bad trades? How about Grandlund Trade? Benning stole that trade?

Beartschi trade ? Benning stole that.. 

Year 1 draft.. Bt

Vertanen, McCann, Demko, Trymkin

2nd yr Ct

Boeser

3rd year Draft Ct

4th yr drafting A

We have 2 great goalies drafted under Benning

4 good D Men and 8 good forward ready in 1-3 years

Benning drafting grade B 

Will be in top 10 again in 2019

2 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Most of the players have lost the baby fat in their faces. Which means Green is working them hard in practice and Willie wasn’t.

Orrrrrr it could mean the players have invested hard in the off season and learned from Jake's diet and conditioning faux pas if you live on planet earth.

Maybe we should put you on the spot and ask exactly who's face OTHER THAN JAKE'S you are referring to.

15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Welcome to CDC.  Hopefully the Canucks can keep the momentum going throughout the season.

My main worry has been that a "culture of losing" could take hold in the Canucks locker room.  I think that's part of the problem with the Sabres right now.  Losing year after year has left it's mark on the team.

Eichel is the real deal though, and Ristolienen is awesome too, two solid pieces for the emerging core.  E. Kane would be another if he chooses to stay, is having a great start, and O'Reilly is the most consistent second line center in the league, always at 55 pts and plays a very good 200 foot game.  Lehner is better than he gets credit for, his sp shows that but injuries are always a concern.  The losing should only garner more high picks so eventually they will get going.  With Eichel playing 1.5 years at around a PPG without Draisaitl boosting his stats like Mcdavid, he's looking like a great consolation prize, and locked down for the next decade more or less, good things are coming....

15 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I heard someone compare Petterson to a young Peter Forsberg. We have Boeser who has a joe sakic wrist shot...

We all know what sakic and Forsberg did together.

Lol one can dream.

If Demko is Roy...then we win the cup his first year in the league, followed by another win seven years later, and he gets traded....OR we get a Roy via a trade and win that year, and another cup six years later....do u understand?

I wonder who compared him to Forsberg...I don't see the work along the boards, behind the net or basically during any puck battles that warrants such a comparison, Forsbergs reckless disregard for his body ended his career prematurely with countless breaks and sprains and even organs... because he didn't care he just had to keep the puck once he had it, and would throw himself into any fray with such reckless abandon and high skill level that he was coming out of it with the puck nine times out of ten against bigger guys.  

I don't see him playing with the same level of physicality, maybe they meant the Forsberg that plays in Nashville 2.0?

5 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Most of the players have lost the baby fat in their faces. Which means Green is working them hard in practice and Willie wasn’t.

I guess we should trade for Kessel and we would get our answer. If Green can get Hot Dogs to lose his baby face before the rest of his hair falls out we will know he's a slave driver.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

If Demko is Roy...then we win the cup his first year in the league, followed by another win seven years later, and he gets traded....OR we get a Roy via a trade and win that year, and another cup six years later....do u understand?

I wonder who compared him to Forsberg...I don't see the work along the boards, behind the net or basically during any puck battles that warrants such a comparison, Forsbergs reckless disregard for his body ended his career prematurely with countless breaks and sprains and even organs... because he didn't care he just had to keep the puck once he had it, and would throw himself into any fray with such reckless abandon and high skill level that he was coming out of it with the puck nine times out of ten against bigger guys.  

I don't see him playing with the same level of physicality, maybe they meant the Forsberg that plays in Nashville 2.0?

I think it was just a weight comparison.  People saying that foppa was only 170 in his draft year, so not to worry about his weight (Petterson).

You can create a culture of losing just by losing.  The Sabres owner/former front office purposely tanked 2 years.  The other 4 (going on 5) were just plain old losing seasons. 

Fortunately it's obvious though that that isn't the culture in the Canucks locker room and I hope it never will be.  Those buggers are a bunch of over-achievers so far. B)

Team culture is pretty damn important and that has always been the danger with the tank.  Buffalo should have a better record than they do based on talent.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The comparison is likely just a point per game one, as elias is in the company of Forsberg alone in that SHL category, while others like nylander are behind. 

You can create a culture of losing just by losing.  The Sabres owner/former front office purposely tanked 2 years.  The other 4 (going on 5) were just plain old losing seasons. 

Fortunately it's obvious though that that isn't the culture in the Canucks locker room and I hope it never will be.  Those buggers are a bunch of over-achievers so far. B)

I go to some of the season ticket holder events and you just don't get the sense that losing/tanking is even remotely in the cards with Linden and Benning, to the annoyance of a lot of the fanbase actually. 

I guess its possible that a frustration could set in an guys could start giving up but over the next 2 seasons there's going to be so much renewal and excitement with younger players its going to be ok. I wonder if some of the issues in Buffalo is getting a guy like Jack E too early? or did the GM not have a decent plan to build the team in that time? 

22 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

The comparison is likely just a point per game one, as elias is in the company of Forsberg alone in that SHL category, while others like nylander are behind. 

Forsberg was more than a point producer.  He was a grinder too.  Much like Crosby he played the full sheet of ice, competing for every puck, and being a very hard player.  Nylander is proving a point producer, but a very soft perimeter player, who is easy to play against.  Pettersson is seemingly making effort to be a complete player.  

9 hours ago, wildcam said:

Give your head a shake??? 
Big deal all GM have a few bad trades? How about Grandlund Trade? Benning stole that trade?

Beartschi trade ? Benning stole that.. 

Year 1 draft.. Bt

Vertanen, McCann, Demko, Trymkin

2nd yr Ct

Boeser

3rd year Draft Ct

4th yr drafting A

We have 2 great goalies drafted under Benning

4 good D Men and 8 good forward ready in 1-3 years

Benning drafting grade B 

Will be in top 10 again in 2019

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

/\

Seriously? He even used the trolling emoji.

Lol

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Exactly,  they're comparing impact on games from an 18 year old in the SHL.  The comparison has nothing to do with anything else.  They are clearly completely different types of players

19 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No one here ever seems to realize that every other NHL team has an equivalent stable of 'high-end' prospects (of course, I'm using your definition of 'high-end' here, which includes the entire medium-end).  Just look at what Vegas has, and they've only been building a prospect-pool for a few months now!

Yes the team's future is going to be better, they were at the bottom and there is no other way to go, but it is still early in the season yet and I am not sure finishing close to a playoff spot will help in building of a long term playoff team.

Yur point referring to Vegas magnifies the number of years this management group has taken to get close to Vegas's prospect pool. 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yur point referring to Vegas magnifies the number of years this management group has taken to get close to Vegas's prospect pool. 

This group didn't  get anything handed to them either, other that the 5th overall pick a couple of times :rolleyes:

34 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

This group didn't  get anything handed to them either, other that the 5th overall pick a couple of times :rolleyes:

Not to mention the fact that those 5th overall picks were handed to them in place of the 2nd and 3rd overall picks they really should have received.

Archived