The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future looks so bright

Battlemonger

First Post - I'm so rocked I needed to join these boards.

The future for the 'Nucks is unreal, IMHO. I don't think I've ever seen our barn so stocked, and I've been a fan since the 80s.

Forwards - Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Baertschi, Burmistrov, Granlund, Gaunce, Dahlen, Pettersson, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Lind, Palmu - ALL high end for their particular skill sets.

Defence - Tanev, Stecher, Hutton, Gudbranson, Pouliot, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Brisbois, Chatfield - No real high ends except for Tanev and Juolevi, perhaps, but a very serviceable defence.

'Tending - Markstrom, Demko, DiPietro - All high end 

Our forward group is stellar in my opinion, but defence would need an upgrade or two in order to put us over the top in about 3 years. We need two more top defencemen preferably. No change in goal is needed.

Which 3 forwards and 1 defender would you be willing to sacrifice for that 1D PP QB? 

Go Nucks!!!

Welcome to CDC.  Hopefully the Canucks can keep the momentum going throughout the season.

My main worry has been that a "culture of losing" could take hold in the Canucks locker room.  I think that's part of the problem with the Sabres right now.  Losing year after year has left it's mark on the team.

3 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No one here ever seems to realize that every other NHL team has an equivalent stable of 'high-end' prospects (of course, I'm using your definition of 'high-end' here, which includes the entire medium-end).  Just look at what Vegas has, and they've only been building a prospect-pool for a few months now!

So we gotta put away the shades and get an umbrella out now?

1 minute ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No one here ever seems to realize that every other NHL team has an equivalent stable of 'high-end' prospects (of course, I'm using your definition of 'high-end' here, which includes the entire medium-end).  Just look at what Vegas has, and they've only been building a prospect-pool for a few months now!

The reason no one here realizes that is because it is not true. While of course every team has prospects, not all "stables" of prospects are equal. JB has taken the team from having one of the weakest prospect pools in the league to one of the best.

9 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Well that's not exactly true...at all.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-best-farm-systems-2017-ranking/

We have a top ten pool for the first time that I can remember...Keep in mind that there was a time where Jensen and Corrado were our best prospects. And the thing is that our pool only looks to get better in the near future, with what will likely be another high pick in next years draft, as well as the skyrocketing stock of guys like Pettersson, Lind, DiPietro and Gaudette.

There's a lot of reason to be excited about our pool.

The future is bright. Next years group if the Sedins retire:

Baertschi - Horvat - Boeser

Dahlen - Pettersson - Virtanen

Granlund - Sutter - Eriksson

Burmistrov - Gagner - Goldobin

Vanek, Dorsett and Edler hopefully traded for picks at the deadline.

And Gaudette may be ready to take Gagner’s spot.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Welcome to CDC.  Hopefully the Canucks can keep the momentum going throughout the season.

My main worry has been that a "culture of losing" could take hold in the Canucks locker room.  I think that's part of the problem with the Sabres right now.  Losing year after year has left it's mark on the team.

Consider though how long Toronto and Edmonton were terrible, without veteran players like the Canucks have who were here for the good times only 5-6 years ago.  Lots to be said about the culture, but they seem to be turning it around pretty well.  Drafting near and generational players seems to act as a defibrillator, although like you alluded Eichel hasn't had that effect on the Sabres, at least not yet.

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm not worried about that here. No one is tanking on purpose and the goal has been set to play hard and win every night. 

2 hours ago, Battlemonger said:

Which 3 forwards and 1 defender would you be willing to sacrifice for that 1D PP QB? 

Go Nucks!!!

I wouldn't trade. The chance to get that player is through the draft and Drafter Jim will be able  to find that guy in the next 2 drafts.

I like the Detroit model and it holds true as long as you have guys that make it playing pro hockey at lower levels and then graduating to the NHL. There's value in taking time to develop prospects slowly in the salary cap era.

I'm really looking forward the the reunion when Dahlen and Pettersson get back together. Joulevi is still 19 and taking flack cuz he's not ready for the NHL yet. Then he goes to the Liiga and he's on the top of the heap with ppg players of his age, all-time.

Get out the welding goggles cuz the future is bright indeed.

I don't understand the hacks like Botchford, well just Botchford, who seem to think the Canucks will be terrible for a decade, and the rebuilt won't start until the Sedins retire. 

Newsflash, it started as soon as we traded Cory Schneider for Bo Horvat. Rome wasn't built in a day. 

This team looks good, I still think we'll miss the playoffs this year and next year, and that's fine, you're just adding talent on top of talent at that point. The 2019-2020 season is when I can really see this team cranking it up and work up up to starting a consistant playoff streak.

Having a 25 year old Horvat leading the charge with a 21 year Petterson and probably another excellent rookie slotting in will set this team up brilliantly. 

Archived