The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Sustr will be gone this year and adding in girardi cap means the have 4.9 to reup guddy. I don’t see how guddy gets anything over 5.

It's not about what they have next year. It's about what they'll need to re-up Kucherov.

If Tampa REALLY wants to upgrade their RHD, and go all-in while they have Kucherov cheap... ...how about Sergachev for Karlsson? Hedman-Karlsson wouldn't be that bad of a top pairing, eh?

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's not about what they have next year. It's about what they'll need to re-up Kucherov.

Kucherov is two years out. In that time they could move on from coburn and stralman saving them over 8 mil in space. Along with the cap going up.

In two years they will be looking for a girardi replacement anyways so paying a guy like guddy is going happen no matter what. 

They should have plenty of space. But that’s why they should be looking for cheaper replacements. Goldi taking over for palat and saving $. Sergachev for coburn, dotchin for stralman.  

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If Tampa REALLY wants to upgrade their RHD, and go all-in while they have Kucherov cheap... ...how about Sergachev for Karlsson? Hedman-Karlsson wouldn't be that bad of a top pairing, eh?

Except if OT was offering karlsson it would take a boat load more than just sergachev. Who know maybe Tampa would be willing to dump the bank for it to happen. That would be an unreal top pairing though, Kind of sad we dont get to see it at the olympics in two months. 

59 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Edler for coburn could suffice as a potential deal. But I don’t think eddy and goldy would be enough to pry away Foote since edler is at the end of his career, as to where guddy is only 25 and heading into his prime. Maybe we add in tryamkin rights?

Tryamkins rights are worth so little in value that it just makes more sense to hold onto him and hope he comes back. What if we trade his rights and he comes back a couple years later? Find out we gave a top 4 away for nothing. I’m okay with holding onto Tryamkin and he doesn’t come back but I’d be devastated if we just tossed his rights in to sweeten a trade and then he comes back.

35 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tryamkins rights are worth so little in value that it just makes more sense to hold onto him and hope he comes back.

His rights are worth one year of negotiations. Those rights mean more to some teams than others. A team that has a whole bunch of Russian connections cares more about those rights than a team who doesn’t. 

What if we trade his rights and he comes back a couple years later? Find out we gave a top 4 away for nothing.

in 4 years he becomes ufa regardless of what we do. There’s nothing Vancouver can do to stop that if thats what he wants. Holding on to his right only benefits Vancouver if we think we can resign him in year 3,  If we don’t he's probably coming back to the nhl signing with a team as a UFA and we end up getting zero in return for him anyways.

I’m okay with holding onto Tryamkin and he doesn’t come back but I’d be devastated if we just tossed his rights in to sweeten a trade and then he comes back.

Tryamkin returning to the NHL has more to with the team that holds his rights enticing him to come over than it does with him simply wanting to come back. I wouldn’t doubt that if Tampa held his rights theyd be able to bring him over and he would become a top 4 D for them. But like I said, Vancouver cant stop that from happening. All we can really do is delay that for one year. 

6 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

IF resigning Guddy doesn’t seem likely and Canucks are going to move him,  Tampa could use a player like him to gear up for this year’s playoffs.

Gudbranson + Goldobin for Girardi + Foote + Conditional 3rd round pick (becomes a 2nd if Guddy resigns)

This summer Tampa wanted to add a physical, shutdown RHD so they went out and signed Girardi.  He’s been a decent signing but the bolts have relied heavily on Hedman and Stralman, they are the only two above 17 minutes a game.  Guddy would be a younger upgrade to help take on some of those minutes and add intimidation to their back end.  He would be a big add to their roster in time for playoffs. 

Hedman Stralman

Sergachev Gudbranson

Coburn Dotchin

Koekkoek Sutsr

Not that the bolts need any more offensive talent on their overfilled roster, but goldy would be put in a perfect surrounding to develop into a top 6 player, potentially allowing Tampa to replace a higher cap hit player in the next two years (like Palat and his 5.3 cap hit).  

Guddy would solidify Tampa’s D and not force them to resign Sustr (1.9) who’s struggled this year, as well as moving out Girardi (3.0) would open up 4.9 cap space for them to lock down Guddy as there RHD (if they wanted to).

As for the Canucks,  Girardi becomes a short term stop gap providing something similar to what Guddy offered us (just at declining level).  But the real prize would be Foote, who would fill Gudbranson’s role over the long term.  Now the big this is Girardi just signed with Tampa and he has a NTC and Tampa is a cup contender, so I’m not sure if he would waive, making the entire proposal irrelevant. 

Finally a realistic trade proposal lol.  It might need some tinkering but that's a pretty interesting proposition.  Will Foote be as good as Gudbranson in his prime though? that is the question.  He very well could be better or worse?  Gudbranson is more a ready player and would greatly help Tampa now in the short and middle term.  Would love to support a trade like this one.

4 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Tryamkins rights are worth so little in value that it just makes more sense to hold onto him and hope he comes back. What if we trade his rights and he comes back a couple years later? Find out we gave a top 4 away for nothing. I’m okay with holding onto Tryamkin and he doesn’t come back but I’d be devastated if we just tossed his rights in to sweeten a trade and then he comes back.

Trymakin played very well for his first year in the NHL, he was the D man of the month in the K for both Oct, and Nov.   He is a monster with wheels and very young.    His rights are worth a very very good prospect or a first round pick.    He is a MAJOR Asset.    

As for Gud watched him live the other night against the blues - i mean watched him.  He was one of our better D's.  He looked good.  The problem with G is not whether he can he play in the league or play decent but how much does that cost.  I would be hesitant to pay anything over 4.5 for him, but that is what he will want. 

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

His rights are worth one year of negotiations. Those rights mean more to some teams than others. A team that has a whole bunch of Russian connections cares more about those rights than a team who doesn’t. 

in 4 years he becomes ufa regardless of what we do. There’s nothing Vancouver can do to stop that if thats what he wants. Holding on to his right only benefits Vancouver if we think we can resign him in year 3,  If we don’t he's probably coming back to the nhl signing with a team as a UFA and we end up getting zero in return for him anyways.

Tryamkin returning to the NHL has more to with the team that holds his rights enticing him to come over than it does with him simply wanting to come back. I wouldn’t doubt that if Tampa held his rights theyd be able to bring him over and he would become a top 4 D for them. But like I said, Vancouver cant stop that from happening. All we can really do is delay that for one year. 

No I understand your point of view where a Russian dominant team like Washington or maybe just cup favorites like Tampa or Pittsburgh could be an easier task to bring Tryamkin back. Still though it’s getting a guys rights who left like what 6 months ago with no guarantee he even wants to come back. I can’t see teams valuing that as much as say a third rounder or 4th rounder (known value that you’re getting). I’m an optimist so I still believe Tryamkin is coming back and this was an Olympics move and be close to home while the Canucks are basement dwellers anyway. So if I needed to sweeten the pot on a trade I’d rather throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder then a sure top 4 dman. Like you said 4 years until he’s a UFA maybe after year three my optimism may fade and trading might be the play but right now there’s tons of time I wouldn’t want to jump ship too early.

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

Trymakin played very well for his first year in the NHL, he was the D man of the month in the K for both Oct, and Nov.   He is a monster with wheels and very young.    His rights are worth a very very good prospect or a first round pick.    He is a MAJOR Asset.    

If you think we could get a first rounder from him then heck yeah I’d entertain it but I honestly don’t think a team trades for the rights of somebody that left 6 months ago. That is unless they have a guarantee he’d come back and play for that specific team.

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

If you think we could get a first rounder from him then heck yeah I’d entertain it but I honestly don’t think a team trades for the rights of somebody that left 6 months ago.

the nucks want him back that is why they wont trade his rights or anything.  Nikita is coming back for sure to the NHL, he has already said that.   The Van fans love him and I think he knows how much he was liked here - he was fan favorite.  The management handled his situation very professionally after he decided to go back so there is no bad blood.  He wanted to go home.   I am very confident he will be back with us and if he isn't we still get a very good asset for him.  Every team would love to have him

39 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

No I understand your point of view where a Russian dominant team like Washington or maybe just cup favorites like Tampa or Pittsburgh could be an easier task to bring Tryamkin back. Still though it’s getting a guys rights who left like what 6 months ago with no guarantee he even wants to come back. I can’t see teams valuing that as much as say a third rounder or 4th rounder (known value that you’re getting). I’m an optimist so I still believe Tryamkin is coming back and this was an Olympics move and be close to home while the Canucks are basement dwellers anyway.

I think he will come back as he said he intends to what I doubt is that he intends on coming back to Vancouver. 

So if I needed to sweeten the pot on a trade I’d rather throw in a 3rd or 4th rounder then a sure top 4 dman. Like you said 4 years until he’s a UFA maybe after year three my optimism may fade and trading might be the play but right now there’s tons of time I wouldn’t want to jump ship too early.

I think he will return to the nhl and be a top 4 player. I believe Tryamkin and the Canucks relationship is over. It’s a tough break up since he is a good talent but I’m completely content moving on and cashing in rather than holding on that someday he comes back to us. 

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I think he will come back as he said he intends to what I doubt is that he intends on coming back to Vancouver. 

I think he will return to the nhl and be a top 4 player. I believe Tryamkin and the Canucks relationship is over. It’s a tough break up since he is a good talent but I’m completely content moving on and cashing in rather than holding on that someday he comes back to us. 

He’ll want to come back to the Canucks so he can play with Rasmus Dahlin ;) lol

3 hours ago, coryberg said:

So derek dorsetts 128% more ice time must have been a ray of freaking sunshine.

No doubt about it, DD was clearly the more valuable player this year. The 2 years prior however, he was not. This is all irrelevant though. My point was that MM does a much, much better job filling the role of enforcer/physical presence than EG (or DD) and that of the badass enforcer types (MM and RR), MM's TOI would suggest he's the more well rounded of the 2. 

We won't need Erik Gudbranson if Nikita returns.  He does what Erik Gudbranson does without breaking a sweat.  His size and demeaur is enough to keep teams in check.  Imagine if he tried to hurt someone? lol.  Erik is to much of a nice guy.. a teddy bear.  not exactly good for scaring players.  Ya he can throw down but it appears it injuries his wrist every time he does lol.  I'd pass him along to a contender who has more "bite" so he doesn't have to do so much of the heavy lifting.  Erik's game will improve when he doesn't have to focus on being the so called tough guy so much.  He just needs to focus on playing hockey and stand up for teammates when hes on the ice. That will lead him to far greater success.

Archived