The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Maple Leafs Have Interest In Erik Gudbranson

Bo53Horvat

59 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Fan 590 in Toronto was talking about acquiring Tanev. A good friend of mine at work is close friends with him. They were texting today and he asked if he knew anything.

Benning hasn’t said anything to Tanev or his agent. That doesn’t mean there isn’t talks as the players often don’t know much more than we do.

His agent did say that Toronto offered Bozak and a pick in the summer but Benning didn’t accept the offer. So there is obvious interest from the Toronto side.

Toronto won’t give up Lilijegren, and I think that is who Vancouver would want in return. A deal probably won’t happen. Toronto fans think Gudbranson was a huge over payment for Vancouver and don’t think he is worth much. I hope we do trade Gudbranson there for like Kapanen & a 2nd so they all lose it haha. 

Toronto can go f' themselves if they're going to offer Bozak and a pick. 

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Carrick + Liljegrin or they can pound sand. 

Even then, is that really enough for Tanev? I'd want a better secondary piece than Carrick. Tanev leaves a HUGE hole in our backend and automatically makes Toronto one of the SC favs. 

7 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Even then, is that really enough for Tanev? I'd want a better secondary piece than Carrick. Tanev leaves a HUGE hole in our backend and automatically makes Toronto one of the SC favs. 

Sorry, tired last night, forgot to add a pick as well. I'd be pressing for their late 1st as well. 

14 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Fan 590 in Toronto was talking about acquiring Tanev. A good friend of mine at work is close friends with him. They were texting today and he asked if he knew anything.

Benning hasn’t said anything to Tanev or his agent. That doesn’t mean there isn’t talks as the players often don’t know much more than we do.

His agent did say that Toronto offered Bozak and a pick in the summer but Benning didn’t accept the offer. So there is obvious interest from the Toronto side.

Toronto won’t give up Lilijegren, and I think that is who Vancouver would want in return. A deal probably won’t happen. Toronto fans think Gudbranson was a huge over payment for Vancouver and don’t think he is worth much. I hope we do trade Gudbranson there for like Kapanen & a 2nd so they all lose it haha. 

Toronto fans have one mind / one opinion?   That explains a lot.

"Toronto fans" have thought all kinds of humourous things.

like it or not , the leafs are on the cusp of being a real contender ..   A deal to get a guy like Guddy would make them a hell of a lot tougher to deal with in a playoff match .

Why keep prospects that wont see the light of day when they know they can start going for it now ? 

Dont be surprised if they pay out the nose to get a player like Eric 

I would be estatic to get just Liljegren for Gudbranson. We could ask for an arm and leg, but I see it as getting a young dman and we save the potential cap space. Gudbranson's value now probably isn't as great as when we acquired him, so I'm not expecting picks on top of Liljegren.

Tanev on the other hand would cost them Liljegren and a 1st at the very least.

If they only want to trade Kapanen or 2nd rounder, they can have Hutton instead.

That's where I would approximately value our players to what they could offer that would be appealing to me.

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I would be estatic to get just Liljegren for Gudbranson. We could ask for an arm and leg, but I see it as getting a young dman and we save the potential cap space. Gudbranson's value now probably isn't as great as when we acquired him, so I'm not expecting picks on top of Liljegren.

If they only want to trade Kapanen or 2nd rounder, they can have Hutton instead.

That's where I would approximately value our players to what they could offer that would be appealing to me.

I doubt Guds lands Lijigren. Not unless Guds picks up his play.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I doubt Guds lands Lijigren. Not unless Guds picks up his play.

You may be right, but even though his regular season hasn't been great, his last playoff performance was pretty good and that is what Toronto will be after if they're hoping for any success. He's a big guy that can skate and is designed for playoff hockey and can help protect their stars if needed. They don't have to pay up, but they are the ones hurting themselves now while their window is open.

I always wonder how Anahiem would've done if they decided to trade for Miller last year when their goaltending failed them in the postseason. Sometimes you have to pay a little extra than you would like for the pieces that will take you further in the playoffs.

Oh man don't get me started on Miller. I couldn't beleive Ducks didn't go hard for Miller. I'm sure JB would of jumped at a second. I agree that was a big fail for them. Miller was a stud last year. Goaltending let them down last playoffs. I truly believe Ducks would of made the finals if they had Miller last year.

46 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

20 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Fan 590 in Toronto was talking about acquiring Tanev.

18 hours ago, aGENT said:

Carrick + Liljegrin or they can pound sand. 

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sorry, tired last night, forgot to add a pick as well. I'd be pressing for their late 1st as well. 

Just to clarify who the convo was about.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

Oh man don't get me started on Miller. I couldn't beleive Ducks didn't go hard for Miller. I'm sure JB would of jumped at a second. I agree that was a big fail for them. Miller was a stud last year. Goaltending let them down last playoffs. I truly believe Ducks would of made the finals if they had Miller last year.

I feel this way as well and that's why I think if Toronto wants to push for Gudbranson, we aren't going to sell him for cheap.

Liljegren is over-rated here - overvalued - and just a prospect - one that certainly did not live up to the hype the national media heaped on him at the WJC.   The NHL.com had him at #4 among drafted players to watch at the WJC.....That was laughable.   TSN pumped his tires endlessly at the beginning of the tournament, and after a game and a nice stretch pass or two, it was a disappearing act...

Until the last few minutes, where he tried vainly to go 1 on 5 and it wound up in the back of his EN as Canada's gold clinching goal.

1 g, 2pt, 7 games and nowhere near one of the better players on Team Sweden, let alone in the tournament.

Imo he's going to have to show a lot better than that to be considered a principle in a deal for an NHL D like Tanev or Gudbranson. 

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Liljegren is over-rated here - overvalued - and just a prospect - one that certainly did not live up to the hype the national media heaped on him at the WJC.   The NHL.com had him at #4 among drafted players to watch at the WJC.....That was laughable.   TSN pumped his tires endlessly at the beginning of the tournament, and after a game and a nice stretch pass or two, it was a disappearing act...

Until the last few minutes, where he tried vainly to go 1 on 5 and it wound up in the back of his EN as Canada's gold clinching goal.

1 g, 2pt, 7 games and nowhere near one of the better players on Team Sweden, let alone in the tournament.

Imo he's going to have to show a lot better than that to be considered a principle in a deal for an NHL D like Tanev or Gudbranson. 

I have to agree. I watched the entire tourney and wasn't impressed with his play at all. He may still pan out, but I'm not so sure at the moment. If we traded Guddy for him straight up, I wouldn't be thrilled. 

9 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I have to agree. I watched the entire tourney and wasn't impressed with his play at all. He may still pan out, but I'm not so sure at the moment. If we traded Guddy for him straight up, I wouldn't be thrilled. 

Yeah - I'm not predicting whether he'll turn out or not - the odds are probably about 50/50 from his draft position - and perhaps better if/when he has a guy like Babcock to develop under - but his value presently really boils down to the player and the potential he is showing in the present - and Imo that is highly overhyped.   He may have fallen in the draft in part to health, but he's had time to recover.  Wasn't impressed with him at the WJC - and not simply sandbagging a Leafs prospect after they overhyped the hell out of him.  I wouldn't move a proven NHL top 4 D for him at this point, that's for sure.

13 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I think he's a top 4 dman. TSN had overhyped him because Toronto, but I think he looked alright to me for an 18 year old. The reason we would be trading Gudbranson is likely because we won't be able to re-sign him, so to get a potential top 4 dman who is only 18 years old (9 points in 17 AHL games) for an upcoming UFA, I don't see why you wouldn't be thrilled by that. One tournament does not define a player.

Archived