The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GMJB interview: 24.11.17

ftmN

48 minutes ago, mll said:

Playmaking C in Pettersson.  He said they had scoring wingers (eg Dahlen, Lind) but no playmaking Cs and that it was the reason it was so important to get Pettersson.

Priority is probably a D1 now - someone that can QB the PP.  

Olli is known to be good on the PP. I hope they get a canon. A 100mph slapper Dman.

On 11/25/2017 at 8:03 AM, Davathor said:

Good things to hear, real good.

Confused why C is priority through draft though? We have Horvat, Petersson, Sutter, Granlund, Gagner right now... and next year our wing depth takes a hit... after Baertchi and Boeser I don't really see a top 6 winger ready to step in. 

Goldobin, Dahlen are going to be exciting.

On 2017-11-24 at 5:05 PM, oldnews said:

I think he was referring to the need to add a playmaking center - Pettersson - in last year's draft.  I didn't hear him imply that C remains a priority - just that it was.

That's how I read it as well

3 hours ago, riske1 said:

The thing that utterly baffles me about JB is his unwillingness to aquire players that can play physical and act as a deterrent while trying to integrate younger skilled players onto this roster. 

His drafting  appears  to be above average, however the concept  of a safe work environment for the younger players appears to be lost on him.

Drafting Virtanen? Trading for Guddy And Dorsett? Bringing in Jack last year on a PTO and signing him? 

Gonna have to disagree. We may not be the toughest team, but jb is doing his part to provide grit and leadership for the kids.

On 24/11/2017 at 4:03 PM, Davathor said:

Good things to hear, real good.

Confused why C is priority through draft though? We have Horvat, Petersson, Sutter, Granlund, Gagner right now... and next year our wing depth takes a hit... after Baertchi and Boeser I don't really see a top 6 winger ready to step in. 

Um there is this guy who has 3 seasons of AHL seasoning they got in a trade for Jannik Hansen last year. He is probably NHL ready by now.

18 hours ago, riske1 said:

The thing that utterly baffles me about JB is his unwillingness to aquire players that can play physical and act as a deterrent while trying to integrate younger skilled players onto this roster. 

His drafting  appears  to be above average, however the concept  of a safe work environment for the younger players appears to be lost on him.

He will never succeed with the mentality that someone else will look after you (refs or the league)

You have to be a leader not a follower to win. I just don't  see that in him.

With today's NHL climate on goon being down, there are no reason to look for players like that anymore.  You can easily find players like that everywhere but in draft, your focus is to find more skilled players as possible and find players through free agent nor is your focus on trading for toughness.  You get those type of players through free agent, easily. Dorsett is our tough guy and he is out and no word on his status.   Gudbransen is our toughness and he is also out and both of them are out at a wrong time.   I get the feeling that the NHL will change only if there's a serious injury with a senseless act by one of their tough guys elsewhere with the way the game is being played nowadays.   Until this happens, it's best if we just continue to do what we are doing, develop skills and get ahead of the game once NHL changes the landscape again and other teams will have to play catch-up in term of finding skilled players once Bettman is gone.   

On 11/24/2017 at 4:42 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Thing is, with not just the Oilers but also the Flames and Leafs, they seemed to figure "rebuild's over!" and started trading off picks and signing old veterans.  Problem now is that all their best prospects are already on their teams and their pipelines are looking rather barren, with nothing but B and C-grade prospects.  Canucks only have a couple of their better ones so far, with at least 3-4 top-notch ones to arrive yet and several B-level developing as well.

I think you're greatly undervaluing what the other teams prospects look like.  it's easy to hype up our players (which look really good) but that also tends to cloud the quality other cities have about there own players.  I do agree that they have made mistakes and started trying to skip phase 2 instead of maintaining the corse

On 11/25/2017 at 7:31 PM, riske1 said:

He will never succeed with the mentality that someone else will look after you (refs or the league)

You have to be a leader not a follower to win. I just don't  see that in him.

????  What on earth makes you say this?    What was trading for Guddy all about?   Drafting Virtanen.   Drafting Gaj.   Labate.    Look at some of his signings and picks.    You nor I also have no clue as to who he has tried to get and hasn't been able to.   Short of overpaying for muscle the way the Penguins did last summer, I don't know how you have any shred of proof to say what  you say.

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

????  What on earth makes you say this?    What was trading for Guddy all about?   Drafting Virtanen.   Drafting Gaj.   Labate.    Look at some of his signings and picks.    You nor I also have no clue as to who he has tried to get and hasn't been able to.   Short of overpaying for muscle the way the Penguins did last summer, I don't know how you have any shred of proof to say what  you say.

The proof is on the ice every time this version of the Canucks plays.

Sure Guddy was a great pickup, however him and Dorsett are not enough IMO.

This team has been been lacking in push back for years.  They seldom ever initiate or dictate a physical game. 

They are not skilled or fast enough to be so reluctant  to engage physically and expect to succeed over the long haul. It's pretty clear that most of the league has no fear playing the Canucks.

A failure by JB IMO.

2 hours ago, riske1 said:

The proof is on the ice every time this version of the Canucks plays.

Sure Guddy was a great pickup, however him and Dorsett are not enough IMO.

This team has been been lacking in push back for years.  They seldom ever initiate or dictate a physical game. 

They are not skilled or fast enough to be so reluctant  to engage physically and expect to succeed over the long haul. It's pretty clear that most of the league has no fear playing the Canucks.

A failure by JB IMO.

You've got to be kidding me. Why don't you name the tough guys you want on our roster in addition to Guddy and Dorsette and let's see how the lineup will work?

On 11/24/2017 at 3:43 PM, oldnews said:

Sbisa - whipping boy no longer / top pairing D in Vegas.  Not unlike Benning's own uptick - was always much better than advertised - so many failed troll jobs at their expense.

Sutter - clearly a foundational player in the eyes of anyone that understands the game.

Baertschi - appears to be worth a 2nd round pick.

Granlund - probably the best trade thread in recent history lol.

Pouliot - could be one of those moves that defines a GM.

Dorsett - anyone still whining about that 3rd round pick?

Nilsson, Del Zotto, Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov , Wiercioch, Holm - looking like one of this team's best summer UFA efforts.

Prospect pool / youth - too many to name - perhaps as good, and deep, as this team has ever had.

Travis Green - succession plan in effect, right under most noses.

Transition.  Nice one, JB.  Making the most of every opportunity to improve the club.  Making moves also means losing some deals, but you don't score if you don't shoot. 

Gudbranson - feel free to sign on Jan 1st.   JB - no need to wait until then....

If only the Sedins could have figured it out a couple of years ago...on the PP.

Archived