The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

canucks miss dorsett

hockeygod77

His style and his presence is really missed by the team and you need to address this soon...the canucks do much better when they get involved..not many players i can say is derek dorsett...if im a gm im looking for a character type guy with the same effort and attitude..this will help the canucks get more wins.   Oh by the way he was up there in charlottes fishing too...brock was welcomed by the orcas and i hear the pod of dolphins have been around lately....you see what the ocean air and the orcas have blessed broesr with ...next step is the strength of brock will come when he goes fishing and lands a pacific tyee about 35 pounds then the orcas will give him more power and strength.

Derek Dorsett is not a player that makes and breaks your team. Yes he plays with heart. Yes he is a team player and his teammates love him. Yes he can skate, hit, PK, and chip in the odd goal. He certainly helps a team contending for the cup. He's like a Burrows, Hansen, Hendricks, Clutterbuck. That's why those type of players are coveted always at TDL. But there are many players like that that can be replaced. Internally we have Archibald, Virtanen, Gadjovich that can fill that role.

Fair to say he went into this season underrated and underappreciated by fans. I'm sorry he had to retire. I'm happy he went out showing what he can do as a player. He should be mighty proud of an awesome career. I bet his teammates miss his presence on and off the ice. 

your totally wrong doughty..you have no clue thats why im good at knowing good players..im not a scout im just natural like brock..i saw brock plaing in shawnigan lake and knew rite away this kid's going to be a good player...never said great yet but it will come.now the difference in those type of players is huge that you mentioned...all good players but not the same as dorsett...linden knows what i mean.dorsett is just that much overall better its hard to explain ..not talking skill wise..im talking the type that makes you that better..its really hard to point out but ya thats why im good.

2 minutes ago, hockeygod77 said:

your totally wrong doughty..you have no clue thats why im good at knowing good players..im not a scout im just natural like brock..i saw brock plaing in shawnigan lake and knew rite away this kid's going to be a good player...never said great yet but it will come.now the difference in those type of players is huge that you mentioned...all good players but not the same as dorsett...linden knows what i mean.dorsett is just that much overall better its hard to explain ..not talking skill wise..im talking the type that makes you that better..its really hard to point out but ya thats why im good.

that's why the rangers and blue jackets were so good when they had dorsett right?

That's the least of it.  The list of what our team is missing is exceedingly long:

- A goaltender that can stop a puck (especially the first shot)

- A gritty defenseman who eats minutes (a la Bieksa/Jovocop)

- Goal scorers (you can't have just one)

- A dominant power-forward (like Bert before the punch)

- A defense that can actually play defense

- A defense that can actually chip in offensively

- Grit and toughness, players who punish the other team with their physicality, a killer instinct

- Players who want nothing more than to win

- An owner that doesn't meddle

- A salary-cap and contract guru (Gilman has been sorely missed)

- A first line

- A first-line center

- The Sedins of old

- A top-6 that isn't completely soft

- A net-front presence

- A world-class play-maker (we've never really had an Adam Oates type player)

- Etc...

well thats why you know nothing..no the jackets and rangers were a different type of team..in this situation horsy fits well and team was going to win many games.horvat sure helps but it is lacking that dorsett guy for sure..its not about just finding any role player you need to get to know him very well and character on off the ice and his style of toughness is very important not just tough moron.

6 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

That's the least of it.  The list of what our team is missing is exceedingly long:

- A goaltender that can stop a puck (especially the first shot)

- A gritty defenseman who eats minutes (a la Bieksa/Jovocop)

- Goal scorers (you can't have just one)

- A dominant power-forward (like Bert before the punch)

- A defense that can actually play defense

- A defense that can actually chip in offensively

- Grit and toughness, players who punish the other team with their physicality, a killer instinct

- Players who want nothing more than to win

- An owner that doesn't meddle

- A salary-cap and contract guru (Gilman has been sorely missed)

- A first line

- A first-line center

- The Sedins of old

- A top-6 that isn't completely soft

- A net-front presence

- A world-class play-maker (we've never really had an Adam Oates type player)

- Etc...

Amen to that list.  Mine is a bit smaller but basically says the same thing:

A star center

One more star winger

A Norris quality defenseman

A top five goalie

A Selke type

A quality 2,3,4 defenseman

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Amen to that list.  Mine is a bit smaller but basically says the same thing:

A star center

One more star winger

A Norris quality defenseman

A top five goalie

A Selke type

A quality 2,3,4 defenseman

At least JB is on the same wave length....

Goalie is probably coming through the system,

Pettersson is hope fully a 1st line W/C.

Selke type player... Maybe Gaudette

D men... Nt to come back and OJ could fill two of those spots,

So that leaves us with another 1st line C/W

and a Norris D-man

And so some bone bruising strength up front....

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

1 - A star center

2- One more star winger

3- A Norris quality defenseman

4- A top five goalie

5- A Selke type

6- A quality 2,3,4 defenseman

Luckily, most of these are coming down the pipeline... just maybe not the level you're looking for.

1 - Pettersson

2 - Unknown for certain, but we have talented young wingers coming up like Dahlen and Lind who might very well fill such a role.  Might not quite have the star power you are looking for.

3 - Totally lacking and should be our biggest focus. Don't think we need a Norris quality guy but it would be nice.

4 - Hopefully Demko is that guy.  Like #3, a top 5 goalie would be nice but just a #1 goalie would do.

5 - Again, don't need a guy to win the Selke but that style is needed. Horvat is ok.  Sutter is ok.

6 - Juolevi will fit somewhere in there. 

With Gudbranson likely on his way out, I'd also add a #7 to that list and say a big imposing d-man who isn't a liability. If Tryamkin came back, he'd be that guy.

9 hours ago, Drew.Doughty said:

That's why those type of players are coveted always at TDL. But there are many players like that that can be replaced. Internally we have Archibald, Virtanen, Gadjovich that can fill that role.

I agree, Dorsett does bring a certain skillset to the table that teams covet but that skillset is probably the easiest to replace and also least concerning behind scoring, goaltending and defense.

if the Dorsette skill set is easy to replace , name a few replacements and why is one not in the line up atm.

skill, grit, sandpaper and heart are not easy to wrap up in one player.

Burrows was our guy for many years, but dorsette had more sandpaper, fighting skill.

Hansen was close, but in all his time with the Nucks, he fought once and broke his hand?

WHO???

1 minute ago, Puckster said:

if the Dorsette skill set is easy to replace , name a few replacements and why is one not in the line up atm.

skill, grit, sandpaper and heart are not easy to wrap up in one player.

Burrows was our guy for many years, but dorsette had more sandpaper, fighting skill.

Hansen was close, but in all his time with the Nucks, he fought once and broke his hand?

WHO???

fighting is disappearing in hockey. You don't need players that can right. Teams are rolling with 4 skilled lines rather than having goons and plugs on the 4th line. And players with grit, skill, sandpaper which can be replaced internally and suggested by many is Darren Archibald. He hits, is fast, and has above average skill for a 4th liner. In the system, we have Gadjovich and Lind...

Archived