The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

repost from earlier when there was nobody around.                              prawns off the hyder dock big as small lobsters , but now that were onto the sea food aspect maybe you would have some understanding of why coastal residence are so protective of ANY threat to the economic , socio impact to The very basic way of life on the coast, and i'm not talking 'hippys ' a term that Albertans throw around losely and wrongly accuse BCers of , bc used to be a booming province ,forest industry , mining ,commercial fishing. all of which have been impacted by ASIA  and the desire to only trade in raw resource's , ie;raw logs unproccessed fish,  to the point of a hand full of sawmills, pulp mills ,and fish cannerys but resource extraction levels are higher than they were when we were up and running , because china says we dont want your pulp, dimension lumber ,we want your raw logs oh and you can dismantle the sawmills and pulp mills and well buy them too.. ya send us your unprocessed fish while your at it, now alberta wants to do the same with its oil, and with whats left of a once prosperous coastal economy we have to further accept albertas plan that threaten's  the  coast line and way of life to further benefit alberta ,of which prior to oil and gas development production levels that have gone thru the roof , HOW DID CANADA SURVIVE WITHOUT THESE PRODUCTION LEVELS? PRIOR TO THE INCREASED LEVELS?  and now we have  something that doesnt out weigh the benefit to bc.  financially or environmentally, BC  cant afford it. and since we never had it to begin to the point of being reliant on it ,how would we ever miss it? AND SINCE THE ECONOMIC ASPECT OF IT HASNT BEEN PROVEN BENIFICIAL  NOR THE ENVIROMENTAL ASPECT been proven fail safe , so how and why is that so hard to understand? whilst bearing in mind that these are bc's concerns , I guess if alberta had an ocean front that they could actually see and appreciate or bear witness to its well being or lack of , alberta will fail in respecting these very REAL concerns!

Edited by chon derry
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Both sides are saying things that aren't needed. It's no debate Alberta oil benefits all Canadians in many ways. If people like @kingofsurrey had his way where would governments get all the lost revenue from? And how would we replace the thousands of jobs and the 10s of thousands of trickle down jobs?

People are very frustrated right now because we are getting so little for our oil because of a lack of pipelines. The money lost to the US is insane, nearly a hundred billion. Pretty sure that money is needed for our vets, seniors, military, defecit, etc.

Btw the world will be here in a hundred years. Don't believe Gore and his ice caps stories. He sure made himself look stupid.:lol:

Same argument workers had when the VHS cassette factories were closing down...

Tar sands oil is a dead / dying  industry. The sooner it shuts down the better.  The time to invest in green renewable energy is now.  Canada should be a leader in Green energy.  

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Tar sands oil is a dead / dying  industry. The sooner it shuts down the better.  The time to invest in green renewable energy is now.  Canada should be a leader in Green energy.  

I think we need to invest in robotics.  We need to be building robots.  That’s the future of all industries.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think we need to invest in robotics.  We need to be building robots.  That’s the future of all industries.  

Totally agree.  Automation is going to take over so much manufacturing. 

I toured a few local shops this year... so interesting to see robots working 24 /7 including holidays.....    robots don't call in sick too often either.

I have a young guy i know finishing a degree in Electrical Engineering...  the world will be his oyster.....

The world is changing so quickly........    I really don't see Tar sands oil industry being around in 25 years......  Hopefully  climate change . can be slowed down or better yet eliminated.   Without  these kinds of changes  the human species is doomed.  Adapt or die.  Are humans intelligent to even comprehend what is facing us....?

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Gas prices are ridiculous BC is a joke, get a pipeline wake up BC

How would bitumen spilled into our coastal communites waters  result in cheaper gas....

Fin is not smiling with your post.......

If someone  sneaks  into your backyard and takes  a dump in your swimming pool.... see how much you like that...

Edited by kingofsurrey

Just now, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Always looking at the negatives who says it will ever be spilled....

Too risky.  No gain for BC to take that kind of a massive risk to our economy....

Absolutely nothing in this deal for BC.    Only a fool would take that kind of economic risk with no reward to our beautiful province.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why is that relevant ?

Do you breath clean air ?

It's a simple question yes or no why make it harder....

Since it's so hard for you to answer I'll take it as a yes, so you have no problem polluting BC air for everyone else but then become a hypocrite for a pipeline and act like you care so much about the environment and beautiful BC, typical for Vancouver.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

19 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

This just isn't true. Alberta and Canada are receiving very little because of not enough pipelines. You are sure making the Americans rich.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

How would bitumen spilled into our coastal communites waters  result in cheaper gas....

Fin is not smiling with your post.......

If someone  sneaks  into your backyard and takes  a dump in your swimming pool.... see how much you like that...

There is already a pipeline there, been there a very long time.

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Always looking at the negatives who says it will ever be spilled....

thats not the question , the question is , if it happened could we clean it up.

Do you drive a car?

I drive a car and yes I leave a carbon foot print , , the fact is the the method of oilsand extraction is not cost effective at the rate of damage to the climate so comparing ' do you drive a car' to the size and impact of the oilsands production and its carbon foot print isnt relavant. factor in the potential  tanker spill then the argument isnt an argument

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

There is already a pipeline there, been there a very long time.

Just because a toddler pissed in my swimming pools doesn't mean i want you taking a big dump in my pool.......

BC doesn't want to take on more risk for no reward. That would be foolish. 

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Just because a toddler pissed in my swimming pools doesn't mean i want you taking a big dump in my pool.......

BC doesn't want to take on more risk for no reward. That would be foolish. 

Actually a majority of BCers support the pipeline.

88.9 a litre for fuel this morning.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

This just isn't true. Alberta and Canada are receiving very little because of not enough pipelines. You are sure making the Americans rich.

Canada receiving more is not really relevant to BC facing a massive Bitumen spill in our coastal waters.

Sorry but BC citizens need to think first about our own province / communities / industries.

Beautiful BC is our identity / slogan.  If Alberta wants to destroy its natural environment and pollute its own waters.... go for it. 

The saddest thing is that Alberta has even squandered most it previous oil royalties earned back in the day of high oil prices...

Is there a worse history of provincial government performance ... than that of Alberta's governments in the past ? Now Alberta is crying about gas royalties... 

Kind of ironic no ?

Do you drive a car?

This is a silly argument and I wish advocates of pipelines would stop using it because it manages to convince absolutely no one. As it stands right now I drive a car and can easily afford the price of gas. If you are trying to convince me that this pipeline is of benefit then why would you use an argument that does nothing to move me. Its simplistic and it may make you feel good but it puts people on the defensive and you will never get anywhere doing that.

There is definitely a good argument to be made that we can ensure that the pipeline gets built and make sure that measures are put in place to safeguard against the kind of disasters kos is referring to. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2