The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kinder Morgan Pipeline Talk

kingofsurrey

5 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I'm unaware of that, but I do know our coastal waters from Hecate straight down are some of the most dangerous in the world.

I live on the beach with waters that reach 14 knots on big tide swings and that kind of water is not something you want daily tanker traffic in. IMO 

Here's another thing about these waters, is if there ever was a spill in 14 knot waters, you could never contain it as it would be spread out of hand in minutes, with nothing to stop it as your containment system would wash away with the spill.  My area is a shipping graveyard, and the bottom is littered with boats and ships.  eg. last year a 50 foot seiner went down, and a sportsfishing boat, no survivors.

We get 10 foot  standing  waves here daily on the main shipping route when the tide is incoming with a south easterly blowing, with that a spill would be churned into the sea and would no longer be on the surface making it impossible to contain.  Even if you used Corexit it would fail to attach to the oil with the amount of turbulence in the water here.  

Yah, but what about me getting cheap gas.....     I never like Fin and his circle of friends anyways.....

Wild salmon.... who cares... Costco sells some crappy farmed stuff that tastes like cardboard.....

Climate change....   it's just a myth....

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, but what about me getting cheap gas.....     I never like Fin and his circle of friends anyways.....

Wild salmon.... who cares... Costco sells some crappy farmed stuff that tastes like cardboard.....

Climate change....   it's just a myth....

the salmon thing is real  theres been salmon canned in prince rupert for 120 years , not 1 single can has been canned in rupert for 3 years , not 1 can! , now that is a product of the fresh fish market , as globally the canned market has tanked and theres warehouses fully stocked with canned salmon (long shelf life) But salmon stocks are Down ,considerably. which effects the southern orca.

Edited by chon derry

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

the salmon thing is real  theres been salmon canned in prince rupert for 120 years , not 1 single can has been canned in rupert for 3 years , not 1 can! , now that is a product of the fresh fish market , as globally the canned market has tanked and theres warehouses fully stocked with canned salmon (long shelf life) But salmon stocks are Down ,considerably. which effects the southern orca.

How about canning candied salmon?  That would be amazing!!!!

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Millenials don't even own can openers.... too much work for the lazy kids...  LOL

Yup salmon stocks on the fraser rivers and its tribs  are collapsing.....  So sad to see.

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Millenials don't even own can openers.... too much work for the lazy kids...  LOL

Yup salmon stocks on the fraser rivers and its tribs  are collapsing.....  So sad to see.

yup , when you put that into the conversation and how it relates to KM , Its the deaf ears it falls on that gets me, and with the new proposal on the north ,again , it does alleviate some of those concerns but it switchs it to a more environmentally sensitive area ,so whats better ? you can be sure notley doesnt care where A pipeline goes ,just as long as it goes...….. 

Edited by chon derry
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Either way.  It's sad we are not going to have our fish anymore.  Rising ocean temps are changing things for a lot of sea creatures. 

i'm not gunna be without  :bigblush:  then i'll be dead and it wont matter , but that mindset is part of the bigger problem.

• Upvote 1

A story about my ex-neighbour, who sold a lot of his property to my grandfather, who then left it to his daughter and her husband. My Aunt continues to work the creek to this day.

Unfortunately a hydro sub station was built up creek and now when it rains the creek flash floods with in minutes.

Nowhere near as many fish as there used to be, at one time it was so noisy the racket would wake you up at night-60 feet from the creek.

The Frank Jenkinson part starts 15 minutes in.  So simple and cheap that governments don't believe it. National Film board Of Canada,  "The Man Who digs Fish"

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/westland/items/1.0048248

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Having a stockpile of canned salmon would be great!  

up here theres always some one giving halibut ,crab, salmon ,trout , clams  you do tend to take it for granted ,but in my time 58 yrs I have seen that generosity shrink.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

A story about my ex-neighbour, who sold a lot of his property to my grandfather, who then left it to his daughter and her husband. My Aunt continues to work the creek to this day.

Unfortunately a hydro sub station was built up creek and now when it rains the creek flash floods with in minutes.

Nowhere near as many fish as there used to be, at one time it was so noisy the racket would wake you up at night-60 feet from the creek.

The Frank Jenkinson part starts 15 minutes in.  So simple and cheap that governments don't believe it. National Film board Of Canada,  "The Man Who digs Fish"

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/westland/items/1.0048248

ive got 2 of his books ,

Frank lived so long every one, including him, had no idea other than over 100. Was into his 90's before he agreed to a homeworker coming in twice a week to help him a bit.

Lived so long he woke up one morning completely pain free as his arthritis just gave up.

His  solution is so damn simple it really irks me that every politician I've talked to about  it just says "Great Idea" but none of them will actually get it going. :mad::mad:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

This morning I woke up to hear that a speaker at a pipeline supporters rally was saying something like 'Oil puts tofu on your plate!'.

I'm not sure where I stand on the pipeline, I'm one of those that thinks the world as we know it won't be around in a hundred years. I don't have kids. That said, I plan to retire on the coast. I have a couple acres of waterfront on the Island and I love wildlife. I know, apparently there's not much risk to the waters...according to some, a  lot of risk according to others...

I would really like if the bullying and name calling stopped. The tofu dig was obviously a shot to people from BC or the west coast?

So, for me it's like walking by an argument and one of the people spits on me. Take a guess who's side I will immediately be on?

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

This morning I woke up to hear that a speaker at a pipeline supporters rally was saying something like 'Oil puts tofu on your plate!'.

I'm not sure where I stand on the pipeline, I'm one of those that thinks the world as we know it won't be around in a hundred years. I don't have kids. That said, I plan to retire on the coast. I have a couple acres of waterfront on the Island and I love wildlife. I know, apparently there's not much risk to the waters...according to some, a  lot of risk according to others...

I would really like if the bullying and name calling stopped. The tofu dig was obviously a shot to people from BC or the west coast?

So, for me it's like walking by an argument and one of the people spits on me. Take a guess who's side I will immediately be on?

Both sides are saying things that aren't needed. It's no debate Alberta oil benefits all Canadians in many ways. If people like @kingofsurrey had his way where would governments get all the lost revenue from? And how would we replace the thousands of jobs and the 10s of thousands of trickle down jobs?

People are very frustrated right now because we are getting so little for our oil because of a lack of pipelines. The money lost to the US is insane, nearly a hundred billion. Pretty sure that money is needed for our vets, seniors, military, defecit, etc.

Btw the world will be here in a hundred years. Don't believe Gore and his ice caps stories. He sure made himself look stupid.:lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Forestry, mining, fishing, manufacturing, service industries - many of whom never got bailouts the way oil has -  put clothes on their kids backs and beef on their plates too, but some people in AB seem to forget that there's an entire country out there contributing to everyones general welfare. 

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

you want to see some real Albertan oil patch attitude go to youtube 'danger cats' some of it I can understand and agree with but, mostly the guy could bust into flames and I wouldn't take a leak on him.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

where would governments get all the lost revenue from?

What lost revenue?

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

And how would we replace the thousands of jobs and the 10s of thousands of trickle down jobs?

And which jobs are being lost here? As far as I know this discussion is about additional pipelines, not shutting down what we already have.