The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour/Report/Speculation] The Official Erik Karlsson Thread (Keep it all here please)

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Kind of worries me that they made a play for Subban (if the rumors are true). That shows that Benning is trying to make a big play and is not afraid to part with a top 5 pick (which we could very well have again this year).

I'd blame that on Aquilini still trying to prevent a rebuild and forcing management to compete for a playoff spot when we aren't good enough.

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Kind of worries me that they made a play for Subban (if the rumors are true). That shows that Benning is trying to make a big play and is not afraid to part with a top 5 pick (which we could very well have again this year).

Karlsson would be a great player to have in a few years when this team can compete again, but not at 10-11 million dollars a year.

Well, better that than sweating on a golf course on trade deadline day. #gillis

On 2/8/2018 at 3:55 PM, WHL rocks said:

@aGENT

Just because someone doesn't agree with your point of view it means they are ignorant? great... 

Let me know when Canucks trade OJ and their 1st for EK. No way that gets it done and no way EK wants to play for a rebuilding bottom 5 team for the rest of his prime. 13 mill is just as rediculous. This team will never win with a 33 year old EK making 13 million. That's 5 years from now and earliest possible time this team could be a legit contender. 

Even if Pettersson turns out to be a 1C it will take 5 years for him to get to that spot. He's not even in the NHL yet. On top of that all the other prospects would have to absolutely turn out for this team to be a contender in 5 years. We are severely lacking on D and one Norris type Dman is not going to make you a contender. 

No contender could afford him. If we offer him a frontloaded contract worth $9 million a year he might bite. Especially since we have talented Swedish players on our roster and in our system. I imagine he'd be very excited about mentoring Pettersson. 

Ottawa would love to have 2 draft picks in the top 4, perhaps even back to back. That really decreases the value we'd have to add to the pick. It's quite possible we can keep Juolevi, and potentially pair him with Karlsson in the future. If we have to give up Juolevi, but keep Tanev, then we have two very solid right D--one who's very offensive, and one who's very defensive. Adding a Norris type Dman drastically improves our defense, and we have one of the best prospect pools in the league. We could become a contender very soon if we trade for Karlsson. 

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

No contender could afford him. If we offer him a frontloaded contract worth $9 million a year he might bite. Especially since we have talented Swedish players on our roster and in our system. I imagine he'd be very excited about mentoring Pettersson. 

Ottawa would love to have 2 draft picks in the top 4, perhaps even back to back. That really decreases the value we'd have to add to the pick. It's quite possible we can keep Juolevi, and potentially pair him with Karlsson in the future. If we have to give up Juolevi, but keep Tanev, then we have two very solid right D--one who's very offensive, and one who's very defensive. Adding a Norris type Dman drastically improves our defense, and we have one of the best prospect pools in the league. We could become a contender very soon if we trade for Karlsson. 

I agree that options for EK won't be abundant. It's possible that on July1st  of that summer Doughty, OEL, EK are all UFA. We an afford any one of them. Most contenders will begin tough to do so. Swedes love Vancity. I could totally see EK or OEL landing here. If we keep the assets we would of traded for them we will be a good up and coming team.

4 hours ago, rekker said:

I agree that options for EK won't be abundant. It's possible that on July1st  of that summer Doughty, OEL, EK are all UFA. We an afford any one of them. Most contenders will begin tough to do so. Swedes love Vancity. I could totally see EK or OEL landing here. If we keep the assets we would of traded for them we will be a good up and coming team.

The cap is going up between $3m-$7m this season alone.  Karlsson (and the other players you mentions) aren’t  UFA until after next season. one would expect the  cap to rise again at that point. That creates a lot of Cap space for any team looking to sign them. . I don’t think Vancouver’s current cap flexibility is much of an advantage over other teams 2 years down the road when they’ll  need new contracts.  

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The cap is going up between $3m-$7m this season alone.  Karlsson (and the other players you mentions) aren’t  UFA until after next season. one would expect the  cap to rise again at that point. That creates a lot of Cap space for any team looking to sign them. . I don’t think Vancouver’s current cap flexibility is much of an advantage over other teams 2 years down the road when they’ll  need new contracts.  

Maybe. But teams need to reup core players along the way. For example Kucherov could make close to triple what he makes now.  Mathews of the world etc. If your on the cusp of winning you will be spending to the cap and not waiting for UFA Dmen. We could easily have that cap space there.

Just now, rekker said:

Maybe. But teams need to reup core players along the way. For example Kucherov could make close to triple what he makes now.  Mathews of the world etc. If your on the cusp of winning you will be spending to the cap and not waiting for UFA. Dmen. We could easily have that cap space there.

And other teams will have UFA’s they don’t re-sign that they replace with younger. Cheaper players.  I’m just saying that a lot can happen in 2 offseason. Don’t expect those high end ufa’s To struggle to find a landing spot. If they even make it up UFA 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

And other teams will have UFA’s they don’t re-sign that they replace with younger. Cheaper players.  I’m just saying that a lot can happen in 2 offseason. Don’t expect those high end ufa’s To struggle to find a landing spot. If they even make it up UFA 

For sure, to expect them to be there would be wrong. But their agents will have narrowed down options if they are. Homework will have been done on who can afford you and for how much. A strong case can be made that OEL EK Doughty will be content to move on from their current teams. Even if traded a strong case could be made that they will want to test the market. With what we have coming off the books and fewer big re-ups of contracts we are poised to pounce. But like you said, no guarantee they will be there. 

5 hours ago, rekker said:

For sure, to expect them to be there would be wrong. But their agents will have narrowed down options if they are. Homework will have been done on who can afford you and for how much. A strong case can be made that OEL EK Doughty will be content to move on from their current teams. Even if traded a strong case could be made that they will want to test the market. With what we have coming off the books and fewer big re-ups of contracts we are poised to pounce. But like you said, no guarantee they will be there. 

I don't think Karlsson will make it to free agency. Ottawa will try to get something for him, so the question is if he'll resign. Although I get your point that we may as well wait to get any one of OEL, EK, and Doughty, instead of giving up assets. 

1 hour ago, NaveJoseph said:

I don't think Karlsson will make it to free agency. Ottawa will try to get something for him, so the question is if he'll resign. Although I get your point that we may as well wait to get any one of OEL, EK, and Doughty, instead of giving up assets. 

I agree that I don't see him staying in Ottawa or Ottawa affording him. 

Imagine if we got 1st overall, and got an offer from Ottawa including their top 4 pick, and Karlsson. 
Would you do it? I wouldn't because Dahlin would be under a rookie contract, and we could use him to lure free agents. 

Not to mention, Dahlin is a generational defenseman. 

But it's interesting to think about.

22 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Imagine if we got 1st overall, and got an offer from Ottawa including their top 4 pick, and Karlsson. 
Would you do it? I wouldn't because Dahlin would be under a rookie contract, and we could use him to lure free agents. 

Not to mention, Dahlin is a generational defenseman. 

But it's interesting to think about.

That is an interesting question. First reaction is yes. If we can extend him before the deal then yes. Add EK. Draft Tkachuk or a solid forward. Sure. 

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

That is an interesting question. First reaction is yes. If we can extend him before the deal then yes. Add EK. Draft Tkachuk or a solid forward. Sure. 

That was my first reaction too. Yes, get Karlsson, and draft Svechnikov, Zadina, or Tkachuk.

But then I thought about it...

Is it worth giving up a generational defenseman like Dahlin?

Dahlin and Pettersson seem destined to play together.

2 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

That was my first reaction too. Yes, get Karlsson, and draft Svechnikov, Zadina, or Tkachuk.

But then I thought about it...

Is it worth giving up a generational defenseman like Dahlin?

Dahlin and Pettersson seem destined to play together.

I know. It's a real interesting decision.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Just goes to show how much the first overall is worth. 

This year..  It's similar to McDavid or Mathews draft year 1st overall. 

Last year it would not get it done as the pick/player was not worth nearly as much. 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

If we had first overall, I'd say keep the 1st overall considering it's potentially a rookie Karlsson caliber player. Why take off potentially almost a decade of service on the team off a top d man?

Nobody is suggesting trading 1st OA for Karlsson. 

Archived