The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Referendum this fall: How We Vote

Cpt.Clutch

BC is having a referendum this fall on how we vote.  For information on voting styles, visit here:

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/howwevote/voting-systems/

Personally, I am still mostly uninformed about the multiple styles so I wanted to create a spot where I can see the opinions of others and we can learn from each other.  

At the very least, I hope we all read the information on the link (it’s Government website, so no one is making money by linking it) and get some information before we vote. 

Good link.

I'm not as concerned about the specific type of voting as I am about setting up rural and northern areas to be irrelevant in their say. If the system ends up being such that its always the lower mainland that dictates who's in government thats not good for our province overall imo. I know most of the population is there but we also have a right to representation in areas outside of Vancouver and those shouldn't be systematically excluded. FPTP has its problems but exclusion of these areas isn't one of them. So whatever system they pick it needs to allow for a similar kind of say these areas have now. 

I would really like to see the modelling of how the seats would change for each type of system before I pick one. 

51 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

BC is having a referendum this fall on how we vote.  For information on voting styles, visit here:

https://engage.gov.bc.ca/howwevote/voting-systems/

Personally, I am still mostly uninformed about the multiple styles so I wanted to create a spot where I can see the opinions of others and we can learn from each other.  

At the very least, I hope we all read the information on the link (it’s Government website, so no one is making money by linking it) and get some information before we vote. 

Our voting system is broken so change is LONG overdue. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Good link.

I'm not as concerned about the specific type of voting as I am about setting up rural and northern areas to be irrelevant in their say. If the system ends up being such that its always the lower mainland that dictates who's in government thats not good for our province overall imo. I know most of the population is there but we also have a right to representation in areas outside of Vancouver and those shouldn't be systematically excluded. FPTP has its problems but exclusion of these areas isn't one of them. So whatever system they pick it needs to allow for a similar kind of say these areas have now. 

I would really like to see the modelling of how the seats would change for each type of system before I pick one. 

Personally I would vote to keep the same system if there isn’t detailed information about how new ridings will be drawn up.  I don’t want to vote for a system i like, but then have it work backwards the way the ridings are setup. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Good link.

This times a thousand.  I fear electoral 'reform' is going to leave those of us east of Hope hopeless (yes I did that on purpose ;)).

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Jimmy McGill @Warhippy @don lever will you guys even make it that far? I'm hearing the odd rumblings that Weaver might pull his support for this coalition? When is your next budget?

Hearing that reform, party status and foreign ownership are currently the end all be all for Weaver and if those needs are not met by the budget Weaver will pull his support.

NDP is throwing a lot at Shelly Cook in Westbank right now hoping she wins just in case.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Hearing that reform, party status and foreign ownership are currently the end all be all for Weaver and if those needs are not met by the budget Weaver will pull his support.

NDP is throwing a lot at Shelly Cook in Westbank right now hoping she wins just in case.

When is the budget hip?

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Absolutely.

I just wasn't sure if what I was hearing was accurate. Will have to follow B.C news more in the coming weeks.

It's actually going to be very interesting.  There's a 2 seat margin of error for the NDP, win or lose any two seats and it's moot for the Greens

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Warhippy watch the B.C liars offer him everything he wants to form a green/liar coalition. :lol:

They don't even have a leader yet and the government could fall. That would be hilarious.

Aaaactually.....

Probably not.  If there was a snap election called it doesn't matter who is in charge of the Libs right now.  ICBC being short almost EXACTLY the amount the BC Libs stole from it has pissed off a lot of people.  People who ever though they might hate the NDP are rightly pissed and know exactly who caused it.

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Aaaactually.....

Probably not.  If there was a snap election called it doesn't matter who is in charge of the Libs right now.  ICBC being short almost EXACTLY the amount the BC Libs stole from it has pissed off a lot of people.  People who ever though they might hate the NDP are rightly pissed and know exactly who caused it.

Oh I realise the BC liars don't want an election. Thats why I mentioned another coalition.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People who ever though they might hate the NDP are rightly pissed and know exactly who caused it.

I really want to agree with you,  but people knew exactly who was responsible for illegally stripping over half a billion dollars from our public education system and nobody gave a f#$k about that for a decade.   Or perhaps ICBC is the case where people only care when it hits them directly in the pocket book?

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Jimmy McGill @Warhippy @don lever will you guys even make it that far? I'm hearing the odd rumblings that Weaver might pull his support for this coalition? When is your next budget?

Weaver :picard:  the guy had the chance to really lead, he held all the cards and he pissed it away. I doubt he really has the guts to pull out anyway. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I don't think he has the leadership qualities to make a move like that. We'll see. 

Archived