The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1st overall pick (Discussion/Proposal)

KKnight

So with our approach to the offseason. Lets say we land gold in the form of the lottery ball and receive Dahlin. I think we should start getting aggresive. So lets go on with it. 

We receive Dahlin. 

Now we package at the draft:

Ottawa: Tanev, our 2019 1st, Virtanen, one other mid-tier prospect. 

Vancouver: Karlsson

Approach to free agency. We need more physicality in our top 6. So we sign: 

The hometown kid: 

Evander "stacks of money" Kane 

5 years at 6.5 a season. 

And 

Leo Komarov for the bottom six. 

Let the discussion begin....... 

And 

GO

Kane - Horvat - Boeser

? - Pettersson - Eriksson

Granlund - Sutter -  Komarov

Gaunce - Gaudette - Archie/Dowd

Edler - Karlsson

Dahlin - ?

Tryamkin - Stecher 

You had me at dahlin...:wub:

but seriously ott would ask for one of our untouchables (boeser, Horvat or pettersson)

im on the Kane train as of late cause he seems to have straighten out his life a tad off the ice. He had that practice incident but with no video it’s hard to say what exactly happened. But I wouldnt go higher than 6x6 for him.

komarov will be HIGHLY sought after and you would have drop loads of money to attract him to come here. I’m talking starting at 4m and possibly getting close to 5m for 5+ years. Love the player just don’t see why he’d choose van 

and tryamkin is gone, he isn’t coming back until at least 2020 at the earliest 

I like this game

win the lottery draft dahlin

through big money at tavares

sign Sbisa if he makes free agency

re-sign gudbranson 

pettersson - Tavares - boeser

baertchi - horvat - vanek

granlund - sutter - Erickson 

gaunce - gaudette - virtanen

edler - tanev

dahin - sbisa

juolevi - gudbranson

pouliot - stetcher

trade MDZ and Gagner

12 minutes ago, Wanless said:

I don't think Karlsson is wise

hes going to want top dollar and he is an offensive dman with average defensive skill who plays in the east. The west is a different animal and the forwards are harder to defend against

Id rather try for OEL

Agreed, I'd feel more comfortable going after OEL. You'd probably pay less and he's shown he can play out west.

now if spain should invade portugal 

i'd make serious modifications to your proposal

but if the canucks win the dahlin draft lottery

then the first thing they should do is invest a couple million dollars in lottery tickets

cuz clearly their luck will have changed

and we can use those extra lottery winnings to fund some massive free agent contracts

then offer both karlsson and doughty big bucks in the 2019 offseeason to join the canuck blue line

so they each can play with one of joulevi and dahlin

and edler and tanev can be our 3rd pairing dmen

and now for my next trick..... :P

43 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

now if spain should invade portugal 

i'd make serious modifications to your proposal

but if the canucks win the dahlin draft lottery

then the first thing they should do is invest a couple million dollars in lottery tickets

cuz clearly their luck will have changed

and we can use those extra lottery winnings to fund some massive free agent contracts

then offer both karlsson and doughty big bucks in the 2019 offseeason to join the canuck blue line

so they each can play with one of joulevi and dahlin

and edler and tanev can be our 3rd pairing dmen

and now for my next trick..... :P

I know its far fetched, but damnnnn i want playoff hockey man. 

If we win the Dahlin sweepstakes...

I think we stick with the rebuilding plan.  Boring? Yes.  Smart? Yes.

Even with Dahlin I think we aim to truly compete for the cup in 2-5 years.  Keep developing Boeser, Horvat.  Bring along Demko, Petterson, Juolevi, Gadjovich, Lind, Dahlen, Goldobin as they're ready.  Still gain a good 2019 player in the draft.  Slowly move on from veterans like Sedins (retire), Edler (trade), Sutter (trade).  Maybe throw a ton of money at OEL or Karlsson after next season, but don't trade assets to get them.  Tanev is probably the one guy I'd keep unless we can include him in a big trade for a young defenseman.

Then we'll have a few year window to really try to win it all. from 2020-2023 with guys like Demko, Petterson, Juolevi and more still on rookie contracts.

2 hours ago, billabong said:

You had me at dahlin...:wub:

but seriously ott would ask for one of our untouchables (boeser, Horvat or pettersson)

im on the Kane train as of late cause he seems to have straighten out his life a tad off the ice. He had that practice incident but with no video it’s hard to say what exactly happened. But I wouldnt go higher than 6x6 for him.

komarov will be HIGHLY sought after and you would have drop loads of money to attract him to come here. I’m talking starting at 4m and possibly getting close to 5m for 5+ years. Love the player just don’t see why he’d choose van 

and tryamkin is gone, he isn’t coming back until at least 2020 at the earliest 

Komarov sucks 

Here's a post of utter lunacy, assuming we get the 1st overall pick.

In another thread, I brought up an option that, completely changes this teams direction and, imo, sets us up for long-term success. But I didn't elaborate on how we get there. So here it is.

All deals are completed before draft day.

Are you ready?

We trade the first overall pick.

Yes, that's right. We trade Rasmus Dahlin.

Dealing the first overall pick brings us a boatload of assets; more like a supertanker really.

After poring over the offers (there will be a few), I go right to Buffalo where I get Casey Mittlestadt, their 1st rounder, 2nd rounder 2018, 2nd rounder 2019. 

They do this deal no matter where they are in position, even if they're 2nd overall as we simply imply we'll drop to 3rd or 4rth and let someone else take him. They do the deal. They cannot afford to pass up on a generational defender in Dahlin. Their season tickets, instantly, sell out, as does their building.

We then commit another act of craziness. 

We drop again.

If the draft were tomorrow, I go to Philly where I pick up Sam Morin, Travis Konecny, and their first rounder for Buffalo's pick.

At 12 (assuming they pick there) I draft Bode Wilde. He excels in all aspects of the game and will be an NHL star.

I then go to the NYI where I offer up Chris Tanev, Brandon Sutter and Jakob Markstrom for their 1st rounder, the higher of their two 2nd rounders, Kieffer Bellows, Ryan Pulock and Thomas Greiss. This deal makes sense for them as it fills all their major needs and rids them of a problem. All are also under contract for seasons beyond this one, offering payroll certainty which is, very important, given their current situation. Given the benefits to NY, I see the price being worth it.

With their pick I grab Jared McIsaac, another solid two-way defender, I feel is a lock to be an NHLer.

After all this, I'm still not done.

There's one more prospect I want before the second round. 

For this, I go to a team like Washington. Ovechkin is 32, Backstrom's 30, and TJ Oshie is 31. This puts 3 of their top 5 scorers over the age of 30. While not ready for a rebuild, they may be interested in a less invasive move to get younger without having to break it all down.

Sven Baertschi and one of our 2nds for their 1st rounder.

Acquiring Kieffer Bellows was deliberately linked to this move and affords us Baertschi. Washington keeps a pick and gains a young forward who will be around post Ovi.

With that pick, I take K'Andre Miller. A defensive prospect who brings the real sandpaper. A physical, imposing defender who excels in the defensive zone but can still put up decent numbers.

For my final act in this psychotic episode, I talk to Mr. Lamoriello about Kerby Rychel. I offer Olli Juolevi for him. I think he'd take the deal as their defense is still a work in progress and Juolevi projects to be a top four dman. Rychel is stuck behind a wealth of offensive talent and doesn't appear to be getting a shot anytime soon. Here he cracks the lineup as our extra forward, given every opportunity to prove his worth.

Wow, what a week leading up to the draft.

After all's said and done:

Bellows                    Horvat                    Boeser

Pettersson               Mittlestadt              Konecny

Gadjovich                Gaudette                Lind

Gaunce                    Dowd                     Virtanen

Rychel                      Granlund

Miller                    Wilde

McIsaac               Gudbranson

Morin                   Pulock

Biega

Demko

Nilsson

This group is young but all have one important thing in common. They all carry maturity beyond their ages and is the biggest reason I'm high on them.

This line-up is built for seasons of success. Their youth means control.  

This team is fast, gritty and plays all two hundred feet of the rink. It is built for the west and would be a juggernaut in the league and is a group I think is worth Dahlin.

IMO there is only one team that might trade the number one overall and that would be Arizona and it would only be because of some really deft manipulating of contracts and players.

Let's say Gudbranson is a player they could live with, Canucks sign him for 4 years at a 5 mil cap hit and then give him a signing bonus of 15 mil on July 1 and trade him July 2 to Arizona, they get Guddy with a 5 mil cap hit for 4 years at a cost of 1.25 mil a year. This is not retaining salary as it is a signing bonus due on July 1. The contract makes Guddy very tradable for them if they decide that route.

Do that with other RFA's to entice their participation, the GM would not like it necessarily but the owner would be relieved to save several million in salary especially if the Nucks trade 3 to 4 players doing the same in all instances. SB - 2.5 mil 3 yrs - 5 mil bonus, Granlund - the same, Virtanen - the same.

This would give the Yotes 3 forwards and Guddy at a actual cost of 3.75 mil/season with a cap hit of 12.5 mil helping them meet the cap minimum and looking better to fans. The other advantage for them is that these contracts are much more tradable.

The number 1 overall pick for 4 players and 30 million. Two first round picks still.

I am sure the NHL would stymy these kinds of structured deals although it may be harder because they already allow massive signing bonus payments for the likes of Suter, Parise, Weber and Subban. And of course there would be nothing stopping Arizona from taking the idea and shopping it around for an even better deal. About half the teams in the league would be out of the running just because of the insanity and money.

Archived