The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - VANCOUVER VS TAMPA BAY

Where'd Luongo?

Just now, DeNiro said:

Don't agree with MDZ. He started off great but has been pretty poor over the last couple months. 

Add to that Eriksson, Gagner, Nilsson, Prust, Larsen, and Burmistrov have all been fairly disappointing.

Letting Miller go was a big mistake as well.

I disagree about MDZ.  He's been fine.  Perfect no but he's been steady for the most part. 

3 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

lol you dont get it.  the goal off of Hanks turn over isnt exactly helping your goal tender out.

Thats one goal out of 5...

He's a big part of the reason why the team is where they are. When they were playing well he was killing them with soft goals. He's still good for one bad goal a game.

9 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Well, I didn't read all that on this thread but that comes up throughout cdc, as it should.  It's a discussion forum.

I honestly feel that with the place this team is in management should consider pretty much any option that could improve the team.  We only have about 3 guys that should be untouchable. 

Benning has assembled some good youth but his contracts and veteran choices are worthy if questioning.  Is he the right guy to pull it together now?  

This is the problem with what he started with.  Few assets to trade for value.  Benning has traded for reclamation projects and prospects mostly with draft picks.  He's also moved Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows and Hansen.  He let a few like Richardson slip through his fingers imo. 

If they're rebuilding and going to lose (everybody saw this was coming starting with Kesler) few free agents can be attracted.  You end up with guys who wouldn't get either a job period or you have to offer more term than you would like (Eriksson, Gagner)

Benning took a job that was hugely difficult.  The real improvement is going to be from drafted players and I would suggest that the team won't be really on the rise until Pettersson's D+3 year.  At that point, players like Baertschi, Granlund, Gudbranson etc will be the veterans who support them.

16 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Where do you think Gaudette and Demko were drafted?

Mid-round picks are always undervalued and massive for Rebuilding clubs. Let Brackett work his magic.

Tanev, Guddy, Vanek, Hutton, and Granlund should all be sold off. It's time to get this rebuild going!

The rebuild is already going and as much faith as I have in JB Gaudette (if he pans out) is still by and large the exception to the rule.  

If JB has proven he can pick out the diamonds in the rough anyways accumulating picks is hardly the be all and end all.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Thats one goal out of 5...

He's a big part of the reason why the team is where they are. When they were playing well he was killing them with soft goals. He's still good for one bad goal a game.

I commented after goal 3 which was a bad turn over. 

I wasnt commenting on Nilsson's season, youre the one having a huge fit about it. 

Just now, ilduce39 said:

The rebuild is already going and as much faith as I have in JB Gaudette (if he pans out) is still by and large the exception to the rule.  

If JB has proven he can pick out the diamonds in the rough anyways accumulating picks is hardly the be all and end all.

Only 6 picks heading into the 2018 draft, that is pathetic as a "rebuilding" team.

Sell off your UFA's and depth pieces for whatever you can. 

Do you understand how smart it is to go the route of volume drafting? More picks the better chances of hitting. 

Like what are you arguing here?

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We need to keep Tanev IMO.

He's the leadership on D you need. Sets a great example for the young guys. Those warrior players are hard to replace.

Try and find Tanev in the top 50 or even top 100 NHL defenceman rankings.Tanev wouldn't fetch much Canuck fans need a whiff of smelling salts to see what they have.

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

It will be very interesting to find out what the Sedins are going to do at end of year...I hope they decide to hang them up...for many reasons.

How much did Hank like getting his chicklets knocked out tonight?  He was back out there pretty quickly.  That's tough.

But ya, I see both sides of the argument and am torn both ways.  If they re-sign, I couldn't imagine them playing for more than 1 more year.  I don't see them being useful for more than 1 year.  But when you have to shelter your veteran mentorship group to keep them in the league.....and they're not getting any better

I think, with the Sedin's gone, who steps in?  Given that the options in free agency are likely bleak

Just now, panelguy said:

Try and find Tanev in the top 50 or even top 100 NHL defenceman rankings.Tanev wouldn't fetch much Canuck fans need a whiff of smelling salts to see what they have.

Rankings based on points? Probably not.

GMs and scouts who follow analytics know Tanevs real worth. He would be a huge addition to a contending teams second pair.

It would take a 1st and a prospect to get him at the deadline though.

20 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't like a lot of the signings to be truthful.  I get what Benning is trying to do.  It's pretty hard to attract anything better than the dregs of free agency to a rebuilding team.  Nobody wants to lose.

Eriksson - at the time I liked the signing, didn't like the term but to get a player with that history on a rebuilding team, it takes term.  I can't believe how badly it turned out.  Eriksson has produced about half what was expected.

Gagner -  never liked it.  Has been meh all around and we're stuck with him for 3 years

MDZ -  not wild about it but he has been ok.  I know -16

Vanek - has been fine

Miller - excellent

Vrbata - good and bad

Burmistrov - JB was taking a flyer that didn't pan out

I think the question some of us are asking is....based on this body of work, do you trust jb to put together the Ufa vets and manage contracts around our future youth?  

Early stages of a rebuild  the mistakes don't really hurt you but once the team is ready to trend up, the room for error gets much smaller.   

10 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Only 6 picks heading into the 2018 draft, that is pathetic as a "rebuilding" team.

Sell off your UFA's and depth pieces for whatever you can. 

Do you understand how smart it is to go the route of volume drafting? More picks the better chances of hitting. 

Like what are you arguing here?

I’m arguing that there is already an influx of talent ready to support the roster and our de facto second line is either retiring or maybe has one season left.  We need to keep guys who can still play.

We’re well past the “burn it down” and “stockpile picks” part of a rebuild - if support players are in their prime they have more value playing alongside the one of the best prospect pools in the league rather than being sold off for marginal returns. 

JB traded away a 4th for Pouliot - by all means move Vanek and maybe someone else to replace it but if a player is decent (and has a few years left in the tank) there is more value in keeping him than in random picks.

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’m arguing that there is already an influx of talent ready to support the roster and our de facto second line is either retiring or maybe has one season left.  We need to keep guys who can still play.

We’re well past the “burn it down” and “stockpile picks” part of a rebuild - if support players are in their prime they have more value playing alongside the one of the best prospect pools in the league rather than being sold off for marginal returns. 

JB traded away a 4th for Pouliot - by all means move Vanek and maybe someone else to get a chip or two but if a player is decent there is value in keeping him.

Trading guys like Vanek, Guddy, and Hutton is burning it down? Are you serious? Every year you see teams trading off UFA's and replacing them with new players in FA.

If we are a true rebuilding team we should be acquiring picks to build for the future. We should be building towards Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat/Demko's prime which is still 3-4 years away.

If you think we are close you are in for a rude awakening. I promise you that. We will be in the bottom for at least another 2 years after this one.

9 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Trading guys like Vanek, Guddy, and Hutton is burning it down? Are you serious? Every year you see teams trading off UFA's and replacing them with new players in FA.

If we are a true rebuilding team we should be acquiring picks to build for the future. We should be building towards Boeser/Pettersson/Horvat/Demko's prime which is still 3-4 years away.

If you think we are close you are in for a rude awakening. I promise you that. We will be in the bottom for at least another 2 years after this one.

I don’t mind moving Vanek and a D man this TDL, I just always gag at the “stockpile picks” line.  It sounds like advocating a fire sale and I think that’s dumb. If you just want to sell Vanek and one D we’re on the same page.  All of Vanek/Guddy/Hutton/Granny and that’s a lot considering the twins are still a huge question mark.  

I also don’t think JB should be specifically targeting picks - they’re all good but I’m fine with prospects or younger serviceable players as well.

I’d much rather try and insulate the young talent as it integrates or buy them time to cook.

5 hours ago, Bo fan said:

listened to a Trent Cull interview and he was talking about Holm. His opinion was his offensive game was good - good on the PP but needed to work more on defense to be a more complete d-man

yes, true, and as a corollary to that he probably needs to hit the weight room this summer too.  Get a little stronger.  

Archived