The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dallas game a big argument for the young Studs from Utica

*Buzzsaw*

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Play Goldy, bench Eriksson. Eriksson needs to be sat to contemplate whether he wants to compete and play hockey anymore. Guy has been so poor since coming here.

Trade Vanek, Guddy, Nilsson, Dowd and Hutton and lets see what we have in the pipeline. Post deadline lineup

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-Granlund-Boucher

Sedins-Sutter

Archie-Gagner-Virtanen

Gaunce, Eriksson

Edler-Stetcher

Holm-Tanev

Pouliot-Biega

Del Zotto

Markstrom

Bachman

Play these guys and get a good feel for who can play at this level next year.

He has 6 million reasons to play hockey.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that the breaking of a KHL contract is not as simple as Benning talking Tryamkin into coming back. Yakateringburg have way more say in where their player can or can't go. There are NHL provisions build in to many contracts, but the KHL team has total control. If Benning has a trunk load of cash, a return might be in the cards.

Agreed, I don't want a Russian who is persuaded to come here I want one whose ambition is to play here. As I have said before, this team is going to be good, it's just a pity Tryamkin wants the rest of the team to do the heavy lifting while he sits at home and APPARENTLY watches his value go up.

9 hours ago, Fanuck said:

It's one game versus a team that took the afternoon off.

Make no mistake - BoHo and Boeser are driving this bus for the foreseeable future and I don't see that changing no matter who you bring up from the farm or from any other level of hockey. 

This end thread.

8 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Sure.  Next year.

There's no sense rushing players into what's left of this season.  They are probably better off in the playoffs in Utica than they are getting a little ice time in the NHL.

What about the Utica guys who deserve some NHL salary for a couple months?

9 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Play Goldy, bench Eriksson. Eriksson needs to be sat to contemplate whether he wants to compete and play hockey anymore. Guy has been so poor since coming here.

Trade Vanek, Guddy, Nilsson, Dowd and Hutton and lets see what we have in the pipeline. Post deadline lineup

Baer-Bo-Boeser

Goldy-Granlund-Boucher

Sedins-Sutter

Archie-Gagner-Virtanen

Gaunce, Eriksson

Edler-Stetcher

Holm-Tanev

Pouliot-Biega

Del Zotto

Markstrom

Bachman

Play these guys and get a good feel for who can play at this level next year.

Man that's rich.

If Goldy could work half as hard as Ericsson on this team he would already be in the line-up. Pray you never get a coach's job because if you don't value graft and application you wouldn't be in it long.

I am one who spoke out against Loui but it was because I thought of him as too soft, never because I didn't think he would work his ass off. Both aspects have been confirmed imo.

3 hours ago, bp79 said:

I agree for the most part with your post as I often do, but when it comes to Louie its time that people stop basing him on points alone, which he currently sits at .5ppg. And start measuring what he does on the other side of the puck. He leads the team in blocked shots for forwards. 2nd in Corsi, 3rd in possession. 3rd amongst forwards in + -. Is he worth 6 mill? no! But people forget at the time we were not the only ones vying for his service.IIRC CDC was ecstatic that we signed the most sought-after UFA forward and the guy who was finally going to give the twins A legit triplet. Sure it hasn't worked out the way we hoped., but I am so sick and tired of hearing about his 6 mill.. First of all not our money. Second of all it no way hinders us from spending more next season. What do we have like 20 mill plus whatever the cap rises to? If he was getting paid 4 million A year I doubt all this bitching would ensue. So I ask you fellow CDC fans. Who gives A a flying fluckie how much our Mob connected thug owners pay someone. 6 mill was what the going rate for him at the time, our owner stepped up and paid it, story closed turn the page people. At least it's not the Looch contract

2nd and third in those categories on this team?  Big whoop.

everyone knows why he was brought here and it hasn't happened.  Why the excuses for this guy?  Cut bait and burry him however you can.

you say the six mill doesn't matter.....I'm sure it does to those who sign the cheques......

paying torts

paying luongo

and now paying an underperforming loui.

it all adds up....."not your money" works both ways.

10 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Obviously Dallas had a bad game... goaltenders were both poor.

But you can't score unless you have players who have the skills and dangle who can take advantage.

Reid Boucher has that skill and dangle... he is a finesse player who when he gets the puck on his stick, will make the opposing goalies life difficult.

Boucher has been spending his season down in Utica piling up the goals and points, what he did against Dallas was no accident. 

On the other side of the coin you have Darren Archibald... no goals but he did notch a point and he was a physical presence all night long with a team leading 4 hits.  With Virtanen on the same line and just behind with 3 hits, this line was wreaking havoc all night long.  And those were not mild hits.. they were full throttle bone jarring slams.   Dallas defense was clearly hasty... hearing the tiptoe of little feet... no perfect breakout passes were dealt to the Dallas forwards.  I like Archibald, he has jump... he plays hard all the time and his size and physicality add a dimension which the Canucks have too little of.

All in all, the 'Utica + Jake" line had 5 points and a big plus in the hit balance.  Gotta wonder if this line might be the slightly less high scoring, but clearly more physical counterpart to the 'Killa Bees'?

Now it is true the Sedins and Vanek had a decent game... but they were not the key.  And while the Horvat line was also good... they were not the deciding factor either.

Nope, it was the young studs plus Jake who got the game going in the Canuck's favour and who kept the pedal to the metal.

All in all... while I hate to see guys go down with injuries... I don't think the team made a bad trade...   Granlund and Gagner for Boucher and Archibald.

And we still have Goldy waiting in the wings.

Maybe time to give the young Studs a longer term shot?

I thought that line was Boucher, Dowd and Virtanen? 

Archie was playing with Sutter and Erikson

Hey Riff Raff

I am sorry I missed this quote in your posts before but this is what is missing from the Canucks game for sure. Gotta have this element to the game.

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres

17 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I thought that line was Boucher, Dowd and Virtanen? 

Archie was playing with Sutter and Erikson

You are 100% correct. I don't believe Virtanen or Boucher were on the ice at the same time as Archie even once last night. I guess the OP's point still kind of stands, all 3 were pretty effective last night. 

2 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

He would be the only one that comes close.  But he, more than anyone else would benefit from playing in the playoffs in the AHL over playing meaningless games in the NHL.  His payday is coming, just not yet.

Fair enough, my only argument is that Demko has already been a part of tournaments and playoff series in the past. It’s not new to him so I don’t think it would make too much difference, but that’s just me.

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

wow all these words after 1 win

following 4 straight lossess

and against a team that really did not show up ?

1 game provides no basis for any argument

it just gets you to notice a little bit

we can argue after they win 4 in a row

then there is some basis to argue

This is CDC.

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

wow all these words after 1 win

following 4 straight lossess

and against a team that really did not show up ?

1 game provides no basis for any argument

it just gets you to notice a little bit

we can argue after they win 4 in a row

then there is some basis to argue

All true.  But we did win, and a couple guys (who are constant targets of abuse here) had really good games - Guddy and Jake.  Seeing these two play so well gives us hope for a better future.  

Got to agree with fanuck. DAL looked terrible, make no mistake. It was nice to get the win, Markstrom gets the shutout, and the younger guys contributed and played a good game. But it was one game, the Canucks are not a very good team this year. It was nice to finally see some goals. Other than Vanek's goal, I really didn't notice the vets all that much. They played a real solid game, but can they sustain that effort every game? Maybe Markstrom should call them out more often.  

Archived