The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dallas game a big argument for the young Studs from Utica

*Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

All true.  But we did win, and a couple guys (who are constant targets of abuse here) had really good games - Guddy and Jake.  Seeing these two play so well gives us hope for a better future.  

and i have seen jake for 50 games now

there were a couple of good games in there

way way more poor ones

but you are now fully on the jake bus after 1 game ? really ?
and next game he'll disappear again

or do what he did against the oilers

and with guddy ..well it's nice to see him show up for a game as well

he's been here for 130 games and manages to play in 1/2 of them

and now has had 1 truly good game

a great investment there

let's see if he can give us 3 more before the trade deadline

or will he end up on the injured list again

hard to know how to bet that outcome .. 50 - 50 at best i think 

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

man i sure can tell

burn down the team entirely after losses

but damn we can remake this lot when they put in 1 good performance

the whole group here needs some meds to control the bipolar approach to this team

Not sharing. :angry:

1 minute ago, coastal.view said:

way way more poor ones

a great investment there

That’s all true.  I said “hope” for a better future, not expect one.  

53 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Hey Riff Raff

I am sorry I missed this quote in your posts before but this is what is missing from the Canucks game for sure. Gotta have this element to the game.

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres

Lol

i had that as a sig for a while.

one of the best posts for sure.

14 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

Leave Demko out of it then, makes no sense to subject him to this kind of game that's being played 75% of the time

To me, it's not about bringing Demko or any other players up because they will somehow earn a fulltime spot.  It's to give them a carrot for toiling away in the AHL, traveling on buses and give them a taste of what awaits if they can take the next step.  It gives most a boost in income and a shot in the arm that they are part of the NHL team. 

It also gives management and the other NHL players to get to know them better and see how they perform in the big league. 

For a team that is not making the playoffs, it injects some enthusiasm amongst the disappointment.  It gives fans something to look forward to...I mean, Eriksson may be a good defensive player and reliable vet but I would rather watch some kid enthusiastically trying to make a statement at this time of the season.

For those saying it could hurt their development I say BS.  These kids live and breath hockey.  They are hungry to make the league and want to compete and know where they stand.  They need to know where they stand and a stint in the NHL is the best way for them to experience that other than just what their AHL coach tells them. 

This is, of course, complicated until the deadline as vets with potential to be traded, need to be played and showcased bit after the deadline, no harm in sharing the experience with our prospects. 

31 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

To me, it's not about bringing Demko or any other players up because they will somehow earn a fulltime spot.  It's to give them a carrot for toiling away in the AHL, traveling on buses and give them a taste of what awaits if they can take the next step.  It gives most a boost in income and a shot in the arm that they are part of the NHL team. 

It also gives management and the other NHL players to get to know them better and see how they perform in the big league. 

For a team that is not making the playoffs, it injects some enthusiasm amongst the disappointment.  It gives fans something to look forward to...I mean, Eriksson may be a good defensive player and reliable vet but I would rather watch some kid enthusiastically trying to make a statement at this time of the season.

For those saying it could hurt their development I say BS.  These kids live and breath hockey.  They are hungry to make the league and want to compete and know where they stand.  They need to know where they stand and a stint in the NHL is the best way for them to experience that other than just what their AHL coach tells them. 

This is, of course, complicated until the deadline as vets with potential to be traded, need to be played and showcased bit after the deadline, no harm in sharing the experience with our prospects. 

What a great way to also sit vets who take a game off here and there to get a different perspective on the game for a change too. I for one would enjoy seeing Hank or Dank or Lui be given the night off and a rookie be inserted for a game or two. Something to look forward to in a long season such as this one. A very good idea indeed.

10 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ya, the flavour of the month is young, skilled, fast (and usually small).....Gudreau, Marner, Pettersson etc.  In order for these guys to be effective, they're going to need players with some jam who can also play with pace

Gaudette, Lind, Archie (although less skilled)

I wish others would see this also. So many different aspects  to the game and speed and skill is just one of them. Same with well rounded players such as a Jamie Benn. They are not so one dimensional and can adapt to many different types of hockey styles. Really hoping we build a well balanced hockey club who can play all aspects of this great sport we love to watch and have players up and down the lineup who can adapt to these changes.

Yes, it was nice to see some physical play and results from the bottom six. Especially the call ups.

My favorite aspect was the Edler-guddy pairing though. They played very well off eachother, looked strong, calm and focussed. Controlled the play in our end and kept chances to the outside for the most part.

Stech was real good too. Hutton looked like rookie Hutton again, that was nice!

It's a good time of year to be giving the prospects sniffs of the nhl, then giving them homework before sending them back to Utica for the playoffs.

People talking up Eriksson's corsi and defensive play are forgetting about the impact a $6m player is supposed to have. 

It was nice to see a solid game from Virtanen (who's already a Canuck, not a Comet FWIW) and Boucher... but it was one game. One game against an opponent who quite clearly 'played down' to us/didn't show up.

Hardly seems a resounding argument for much of anything more than that you can't take any team lightly in the NHL. 

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

way way more poor ones

a great investment there

Go back to scouting timbit hockey. Clearly you aren't ready to make the jump to the big league yet, it's better to let you marinate down there for another decade. 

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Pretty much everybody in the organization has been called up for this.  I remember Demko being recalled twice to earn a NHL paycheck.  Boucher, Goldobin, Chaput, Megna even.  I think the only people who haven't yet are Holm and Chatfield, who probably deserve a look, and will probably get one after the trade deadline.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

It was nice to see a solid game from Virtanen (who's already a Canuck, not a Comet FWIW) and Boucher... but it was one game. One game against an opponent who quite clearly 'played down' to us/didn't show up.

The thing about these comments is they are easy to make

i wont argue against the idea that dallas didn't come as prepared as they could have been, but the reality is the canucks have been terrible for 25 games save for a half dozen when the team as a whole found their stride.

How do you prepare for inconsistency? Most likely by taking the average and applying that to be the whole

The team played to their potential and it was much better than 95% of the games this year.

to say they only won because dallas was bad takes away the fact that the canucks didn't let dallas play good

44 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Pretty much everybody in the organization has been called up for this.  I remember Demko being recalled twice to earn a NHL paycheck.  Boucher, Goldobin, Chaput, Megna even.  I think the only people who haven't yet are Holm and Chatfield, who probably deserve a look, and will probably get one after the trade deadline.

I agree on Holm and am excited to see how he plays at the NHL level.  He chose Nucks over other interested teams and I believe is on a 1 year contract so if he doesn't get a look and some opportunity, he will be gone, I would assume. Worth taking a look at.

43 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

you don't just throw them into the fire though.   at least for your coveted goalie.

Throwing him into the fire would be asking him to take on starter duties or making him team Captain at 19.

Spending time with the big team in practise and a game or two is nothing like that.

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

well I'm not of the mind this tire fire is the best for him.   they have been losing 6 and 7 of 10 all season long, with many games of 4 and 5 goals being let in, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from that...  Preseason yes

With the season out of reach I see the remainder of the season similar to pre-season where guys are playing to prove they belong or to show they deserve a look next year.  Don't see how it would hurt Demko to get a look any more than it would other prospects.  Likely hurts Utica more than anything,

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

your hope is based on 1 game

your hope then has to ignore all the other games

which one would normally factor in as well

*hands you a pair of blinders*  enjoy :wub:

You seem to be confusing "hope" with "expectation".  Maybe this will help.

Definition of hope

hoped; hoping
intransitive verb
1 : to cherish a desire with anticipation : to want something to happen or be true
  • hopes for a promotion
  • hoping for the best
  • I hope so.

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

The thing about these comments is they are easy to make

i wont argue against the idea that dallas didn't come as prepared as they could have been, but the reality is the canucks have been terrible for 25 games save for a half dozen when the team as a whole found their stride.

How do you prepare for inconsistency? Most likely by taking the average and applying that to be the whole

The team played to their potential and it was much better than 95% of the games this year.

to say they only won because dallas was bad takes away the fact that the canucks didn't let dallas play good

You're arguing things I never said. 

Archived