The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Kevin Bieksa

40 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Such short memories around here.  He was done 2 years ago when traded, but nostalgia apparently trumps ability.

yah, part of me would like him to retire as a Canuck.

I think he'd be fine filling in for 25-30 games for the inevitable injuries and he'd be a good influence on the kids, thats all. But Biega is probably ahead of him on the depth chart now :P

Ultimately?

This would be a contest of Bieksa & Bulldog for 4th in RHD depth?   >>>>  Tanev, Stecher, Gudbranson, Bieksa / Biega

It is even more likely to keep us from hanging on to a LHD?   >>>>  Edler, Juolevi, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Hutton

NOW;

Number one; we will have an injured D!

Number two; we can start Juolevi in Utica.    

And of course Juolevi, if deserving, could still play the majority of the year in Vancouver. So really it is unlikely to cost us anything?

Number three; If Julolevi's play demands a start in our top 4, and nobody is hurt?  It means, one or more of our D will end up on waivers. Which is not so bad, is it??  And honestly, I don't think the world will stop if our 9th D is claimed.

Including Bieksa on waivers!  Like everyone else, he would have to make the team???But is exactly a mentorship type signing Benning has referred to? Bieksa add's no speed, but Vanek did not either. And he is a beast in the gym, at practice, positive in the room.  Barring a better signing I'm neutral > not opposed as a summary.

6 minutes ago, InTheCrease said:

Every time and ex Canuck is a scratch, there is a thread started to bring them back cheap. 

I know.  With a few phone calls we could have Bieksa, Burrows, and Hansen all back for next to nothing.

11 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

I know.  With a few phone calls we could have Bieksa, Burrows, and Hansen all back for next to nothing.

And that is what those guys have left in their game, next to nothing.

Respect for their past play, do not want them back.

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I salute the great soldier's work Kevin has done for the franchise but he was essentially way past his prime when Benning dealt him to the Ducks.  I'm shocked Benning was able to actually get a 2nd round pick AND not take any salary back in the deal.  Great trade.  And again, I bow to all the blood & sweat Kevin gave to the team but it was time to move on.  Give him a front office job with the Canucks when he retires as repayment.  Might be a good coach someday (D).

This. Bieksa was already slowing down when we moved him. His last season wasn’t great, and he’s even older and slower now.

• 5 months later...

I was going to make my own proposal, but searched and found this! 

If I was the Canucks I would sign this guy right now, he is still an unrestricted free agent and yes he doesn't have much left, but it's what he brings to the team his physicality and standing up for teammates which is way more important right now imo, not how well he can play D anymore. I'd have Bieksa playing over Pouliot easily, and I would have MDZ and Bieksa switching games back and forth, depending on the matchups on which teams are more physical.

Bieksa is at the end of his career. A player coach in Utica definitely, skate one last lap around Rogers arena and hand his jersey... maybe.

Would I welcome him as our next team president... maybe.  His pressers would flummox the media.  He is way to witty for the blowhards to handle. 

On a PTO next pre season or as part of a bigger trade this year for depth. Sure. 

Would LD love to have Bieksa as part of the management more than any player from the past core. He and Malhotra are guys that you keep around. 

Archived