The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Draft - Canucks Second Round Pick [Discussion]

laddie

5 hours ago, Kanuck_Krazy said:

I agree with Samuelsson.  People talk about his toughness and size but watch Wahlstrom and Farabee's highlights.  You'll keep on seeing the name Samuelsson pop up.  I think he has more offensive potential.  Smart plays and passes.  

I am hoping his offensive potential goes under the radar, so as to see him fall to our 2nd round pick. I do feel like it's unlikely though. It'd be really nice to have an additional 1st, late 1st even. I really like Samuelsson. 

3 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I've heard good things of k'andrea Miller too

Another solid D prospect who some (THN has him at 40  BPA)don't think will go in the first round is another FIN in Ginning.  Plays a safe and rough stay at home defenseman role with a good first pass. ISCS has him at 17 though...

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

If we are comparing it to Kole Lind then we should be considering someone who should have gone around 23-26 last year, of those players it could be anyone, or nobody, but I hope one K'andre Miller or Samuelsson are still available.  Either would be a solid D prospect 

As I am a firm believer in long-term success being built through the draft, I see this one being a great chance to provide the backbone of our dcore 2-3 seasons from now. 

This being said, I've been talking up Miller for months. Some are saying that IF he develops his skills to max potential, he will be the most complete defender to come out of this draft (tried to find quotes again but without success).

Unfortunately, I don't think he's around in the second round. He is projected to go in the bottom half of the first round and I see no reason to think he won't.

Jett Woo might be around at our pick, but I'd be very interested in seeing JB trying to jump into the lower teens of the first round to get Miller.

Imo, with a little creativity, JB has the pieces to be able to jump up to get him. 

K’Andre Miller, Nils Lundkvist, Jonatan Berggren, Martin Kaut and Dominik Bokk are my hopefuls but are all pretty unrealistic as I’d take them all in the first round. Have a hard time seeing any guy fall that far. However if they do I’ll be sad if we pass on any of them.

More realistic guys I’m thinking Merkley (he’s not there because of talent), Beaudin, McLaughlin and Addison.

3 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

K’Andre Miller, Nils Lundkvist, Jonatan Berggren, Martin Kaut and Dominik Bokk are my hopefuls but are all pretty unrealistic as I’d take them all in the first round. Have a hard time seeing any guy fall that far. However if they do I’ll be sad if we pass on any of them.

More realistic guys I’m thinking Merkley (he’s not there because of talent), Beaudin, McLaughlin and Addison.

What about that Noel kid?  Could we trade high enough into the first round to get him?  Really like this kid.

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What about that Noel kid?  Could we trade high enough into the first round to get him?  Really like this kid.

Yeah he’s an intriguing prospect. I don’t think is offensive upside is as great as the forwards I’ve mentioned. He’s so big but from what I’ve seen he doesn’t play all that big which could change. For me there’s other players I’d rather have. I see him as out of our range anyway. He’ll probably go anywhere from 18-25 and that’d be my guess because of that u18 tourney and the size.

45 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

As I am a firm believer in long-term success being built through the draft, I see this one being a great chance to provide the backbone of our dcore 2-3 seasons from now. 

This being said, I've been talking up Miller for months. Some are saying that IF he develops his skills to max potential, he will be the most complete defender to come out of this draft (tried to find quotes again but without success).

Unfortunately, I don't think he's around in the second round. He is projected to go in the bottom half of the first round and I see no reason to think he won't.

Jett Woo might be around at our pick, but I'd be very interested in seeing JB trying to jump into the lower teens of the first round to get Miller.

Imo, with a little creativity, JB has the pieces to be able to jump up to get him. 

Actually he's projected in the 32-47 range...but I can help with some quotes: " by far the biggest x-factor in the draft, on the plus side he's an offensive wizard, will excellent mobility tailor made for today's game, on the other side of the ledger he's a black hole on defense and his attitude is being questioned." THN  

" at times he looks bored, when he's good he can be very good, when he's bad he's equally bad. PK Subban used to drive George Burnett over the edge some nights, they found a way to make it work" scout quote in THN

" To sum it up you have top five talent with baggage" THN.

He's a huge talent, with attitude problems and a big lack of willingness to play defense....but he can do it when he puts his mind to it.  I'd pick him and be ready to develop him properly, the upside is there for sure.

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

Every draft someone slips and others mover up, we got both Lind and JG last season, Lind slipped out of the first round and Jonah possibly too given some lists had him around 30.  

Hopefully Benning gets his guy(s) and we can get two good roster players out of it, with potential for more.

Archived