The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

Tavaras would bring out window of opportunity one or two years sooner as well as make it longer.

As many of said he would be the immediate Captain here

in EDM he will never overshadow or be better then McDavid

in TOR he will never overshadow Mathews and hard to say who is better

but Tavaras doesn't seem to be high in Vanity so he prob wouldn't care about above scenarios.

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

This thread is just such a weird read.  Cant believe so many people think the Canucks are in the right position to be bringing in a guy like Tavares.  Makes no sense for the Canucks,  and it makes no sense for JT.

So it doesn’t make sense for a team who needs a franchise center, to bring one in?

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

So it doesn’t make sense for a team who needs a franchise center, to bring one in?

Not at max years, for max money(which is what it would take) for a guy who's almost 28.  Sure I'll pay 28 year old JT 12 million.  But I dont want 35 year old JT at 12 million when we will have Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, and whoever else needing pay raises.

The canucks best course of action is to continue building through the draft.  adding Tavares isnt the answer.

On 6/19/2018 at 12:56 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Bringing John here would be a great start to helping this team become much better, but giving the team a chance to win the cup next year not a chance. This team would really need to sign a legitimate #1 Goalie, and revamp the D if they even were to consider having a shot at the cup next year, but John alone wouldn't be able to do it unfortunately. Sadly we just don't have the assets to compete enough yet to sell it to a star player like John.

I see what youre saying but I'm pretty optimistic if we did land a star like John we could become a playoff team and once you're in... roll the dice and pray for a Cinderella run.

We have 4 goalies.... one of them can become a #1 maybe? Anders, Marky, Demko, Dipietro ? Anders did win gold recently for Sweden....

Bring in John and both him and Brock should get 100+ points and automatically become the biggest offensive threat in the division?

Then pray for Elias to also get 100+ somehow and maybe OJ becomes good?

Im tired of seeing a losing team :(

1 minute ago, apollo said:

I see what youre saying but I'm pretty optimistic if we did land a star like John we could become a playoff team and once you're in... roll the dice and pray for a Cinderella run.

We have 4 goalies.... one of them can become a #1 maybe? Anders, Marky, Demko, Dipietro ? Anders did win gold recently for Sweden....

Bring in John and both him and Brock should get 100+ points and automatically become the biggest offensive threat in the division?

Definitely have some good optimistic there, but I feel your frustration. Making playoffs now yes I could see that adding John, but that's only if everyone stayed healthy for a year and it seems like year after year that's not possible with this group, but with the defense and Goalies we have right now it wouldn't last through the playoffs to the Stanley cup, unless Demko shows something special but that's a gamble but definitely worth hoping.

It just won't happen with John coming here unfortunately, as much as I wish he would be a Canuck, it won't happen. Maybe 2-4 years down the road, when or if the Canucks do turn into a more complete stronger team who can push for the playoffs year after year to be able to sell it better for a trade for Tavares. That's also if he doesn't win a cup or make it deep into the playoffs with what ever team he signs with.

33 minutes ago, apollo said:

Cheer for Vegas then.

43 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Cheer for Vegas then.

I tried this playoffs... but I realized... I genuinely don't care about any team not named "Vancouver" winning the cup.

It's something else when our boys do well and win games. The joy I got from Vegas winning games was like 0.2% of what joy I've gotten over the years from seeing the Canucks win.

6 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Not at max years, for max money(which is what it would take) for a guy who's almost 28.  Sure I'll pay 28 year old JT 12 million.  But I dont want 35 year old JT at 12 million when we will have Pettersson, Boeser, Demko, and whoever else needing pay raises.

So he should go to a team that is already paying those big contacts?  Or a bad team with no quality prospects?

3 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So he should go to a team that is already paying those big contacts?  Or a bad team with no quality prospects?

This is what I don’t understand

why is there talk of him going to the oilers? They need wingers so Leon can play center. Also cap?

The leafs need defence more than scoring. Also cap?

Nashville can make a play but the playoffs showed they need to have a better bottom pairing

Vegas can make a push but they have a really good team and they have a few spaces to fill and a few raises to make, they would be better off focusing on keeping their roster and slowly adding and NOT throwing money around to try to get over the Stanley cup. We all saw what changing the roster to compensate for the loss did to the canucks

The sharks, well tavares said he didn’t want to be in a fish bowl market

but in all honesty, they are an older team and in 3-4 years will be off loading assets to start a rebuild. Tavares also won’t put them over the top and getting stuck with an aging team for the rest of his career won’t get that cup

The leafs could make a serious push, but I think it would be in their best interest to save that dough for Doughty Carlson or Karlsson and a guy like Tanev. They score enough but they lack defence

That leaves teams like the Canucks and the Sabres who are both look to be in the playoff picture in 2 years

Why can’t people do a little digging?

2 hours ago, apollo said:

I tried this playoffs... but I realized... I genuinely don't care about any team not named "Vancouver" winning the cup.

It's something else when our boys do well and win games. The joy I got from Vegas winning games was like 0.2% of what joy I've gotten over the years from seeing the Canucks win.

Damn that’s a great answer. 

8 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

The canucks best course of action is to continue building through the draft.  adding Tavares isnt the answer.

At that time the cap will be a 100 million and you will have a top 2 centre making 3rd line centre money.:o

1 hour ago, Wanless said:

This is what I don’t understand

why is there talk of him going to the oilers? They need wingers so Leon can play center. Also cap?

The leafs need defence more than scoring. Also cap?

Nashville can make a play but the playoffs showed they need to have a better bottom pairing

Vegas can make a push but they have a really good team and they have a few spaces to fill and a few raises to make, they would be better off focusing on keeping their roster and slowly adding and NOT throwing money around to try to get over the Stanley cup. We all saw what changing the roster to compensate for the loss did to the canucks

The sharks, well tavares said he didn’t want to be in a fish bowl market

but in all honesty, they are an older team and in 3-4 years will be off loading assets to start a rebuild. Tavares also won’t put them over the top and getting stuck with an aging team for the rest of his career won’t get that cup

The leafs could make a serious push, but I think it would be in their best interest to save that dough for Doughty Carlson or Karlsson and a guy like Tanev. They score enough but they lack defence

That leaves teams like the Canucks and the Sabres who are both look to be in the playoff picture in 2 years

Why can’t people do a little digging?

You conveniently left out a lot of other teams that could use and badly need JT.

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You conveniently left out a lot of other teams that could use and badly need JT.

The point im trying to make is that people are talking about him only going to a contender or to the most mentioned teams

I think the teams that are poised to turn the corner towards the playoffs and have space are going to be the front runners 

12 minutes ago, Wanless said:

The point im trying to make is that people are talking about him only going to a contender or to the most mentioned teams

I think the teams that are poised to turn the corner towards the playoffs and have space are going to be the front runners 

He aint signing in Buffalo.

39 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

He aint signing in Buffalo.

You don’t quite get it. 

Hes likely not going to a contender, they can’t afford it

Hes likely not going to a team that is old

Hes likely not going to a team without a future

That leaves teams that have prospects that are about to enter the NHL and also has a few young players to grow into a better team

buffalo is one of those teams, so are the canucks 

the only contender i can truely see getting him is Winnipeg 

20 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

This thread is just such a weird read.  Cant believe so many people think the Canucks are in the right position to be bringing in a guy like Tavares.  Makes no sense for the Canucks,  and it makes no sense for JT.

I agree and disagree.... if your only vision is to bring in Tavares your right bad call but that is a pretty short sighted vision for an NHL GM, maybe a fan on a message board type vision but not an NHL GM's

However if you also had a line on a decent Dman say an outstanding Dman maybe Karlsson (as we have been linked 2) now those 2 immediately change where we stand and put us in playoff contention. Its not un-realistic as we have the cap space and i believe with another couple value added additions we could be in a very good place.

But Getting just 1 of those 2, either one, does not make sense getting both absolutely does.

On 2018-06-20 at 9:56 AM, DrJockitch said:

3 Mil, I think you are underestimating the market.  Remember the Leafs are not just a huge local market they are a national market.  3 Million likely underestimates the benefit to him by several fold.  He could easily make that in endorsements in Vancouver.

I don't think he is too worried about playing second fiddle to Matthews or McDavid or anyone else.  It is just too easy to say Crosby+Malkin, Gretzky+Messier, Lemieux+Francis.  If he is really looking to win this is a better problem to have.  That being said, as much as I think McDavid is amazing, as long as Chia is there,wouldn't consider it if his goal is to win.  Would also need to move Draisaitl for a number one D and at the same time find taker for Lucic.  Does anyone have confidence that Chia could find a number one D man even dangling Draisaitl.

Just can't see him signing here.  SJS, Toronto, Montreal (he would fix a lot of ills on that team and hey Carey Price), Nashville, the list goes on of better teams than us that could use him.  If Nashville wants to move RJ to make room for him, please give us a call.  If Panarin is really on the outs, CBJ would be intriguing but not sure they have the budget.

3 mill.. Stamkos would have made more... he's more marketable..

Tavares is local kid but not as flashy a player... Barzal kid would make 5 +.. 

He's perfect 1C/2C on Stanley Cup team in today's NHL..

Crosby Malkin

Kuznetzov Backstrom

Tavares Mathews

23 hours ago, Wanless said:

You don’t quite get it. 

Hes likely not going to a contender, they can’t afford it

Hes likely not going to a team that is old

Hes likely not going to a team without a future

That leaves teams that have prospects that are about to enter the NHL and also has a few young players to grow into a better team

buffalo is one of those teams, so are the canucks 

the only contender i can truely see getting him is Winnipeg 

las vegas says hi - they have huge available cap space and are clearly a contender

so does san jose

dallas as well is prepared to create cap space to sign him

toronto is clearly interested

Archived