The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Tavares done with Islanders according to Sportsnet 590 Broadcaster (Toronto)

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Tavares is a top flight 1C. Matthews is a better 1C. That makes Tavares the Leafs' 2C.

Tavares is a top flight 1C. Horvat is a good 1C. That makes Tavares the Canucks' 1C.

Hopefully the meeting between the Tavares and the Canucks' camp goes best.

Lets be realistic?? Tavares would stay with NYI before he would want to come to Vancouver!!!

1. Sharks 2. Toronto 3. Vegas  4 NYI  5. St.Louis 6. N.J Devils...25th Vancouver

25 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Lets be realistic?? Tavares would stay with NYI before he would want to come to Vancouver!!!

1. Sharks 2. Toronto 3. Vegas  4 NYI  5. St.Louis 6. N.J Devils...25th Vancouver

Sorry, but as of right now Vancouver is more attractive than the Islanders. Call me biased or whatever but there are realistic points as to why Tavares would come here. Having nearly $30 million in cap space if the main one. 

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Sorry, but as of right now Vancouver is more attractive than the Islanders. Call me biased or whatever but there are realistic points as to why Tavares would come here. Having nearly $30 million in cap space if the main one. 

Not a sufficient argument though.  Ownership in NYI has always said they will pay him whatever it takes to keep him in NYI.  He's not going to free agency because of money.  Every insider insists that he wants to win.  

Tavares at the end of the season: 'It's tough to miss the playoffs.  It's another wasted opportunity'.  

He might play another 10 years (which brings him up to 37) - so another 10 opportunities to win it all.  It's not all that much.  He probably doesn't want to waste his chances on a team that is not immediately competitive.

The Islanders could score but they couldn't defend.  More blame has been put on coaching than on personnel - their defensive structure was a mess and a more detailed coach should improve that.  Will him and his agent really think that he is coming to a better situation in Vancouver. 

Canucks were the 2nd lowest scoring team from the blueline and were not particularly good at defending either.  There's no indication that they have high end Ds in their system other than maybe Juolevi, but opinion on him is rather divided on his readiness/upside.  Tavares is not going to assess the team as a fan - he's not looking for hope but a realistic view of where things are heading.  They'll get measured against what other teams can offer him.  

Vancouver is also a fishbowl market and Tavares doesn't particularly like media attention.  There is also the increased travel time - less time for family/friends and to recuperate.  

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

Tavares is a top flight 1C. Matthews is a better 1C. That makes Tavares the Leafs' 2C.

Tavares is a top flight 1C. Horvat is a good 1C. That makes Tavares the Canucks' 1C.

Hopefully the meeting between the Tavares and the Canucks' camp goes best.

True but this means that Vancouver will have to let go of Sutter or Gaudette since they are both Centers as well. Unless fans are perfectly having Sutter as $4 Million 4th line center. I say if Vancouver can trade Sutter and sign Tavares then I am all board giving Tavares 8 to 9 Million. 

Of course the other question is if Tavares even wants to sign with Vancouver.

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

I can't see the Devils being that high. Tavares has been with a team with unstable ownership his entire entire NHL career so far. NJD have some financial problem from what I understand. if anything I think NYR should consider signing Tavares

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

havent looked at the rest of the thread, but isnt sharks on a tight cap budget?.

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

True but this means that Vancouver will have to let go of Sutter or Gaudette since they are both Centers as well. Unless fans are perfectly having Sutter as $4 Million 4th line center. I say if Vancouver can trade Sutter and sign Tavares then I am all board giving Tavares 8 to 9 Million. 

Of course the other question is if Tavares even wants to sign with Vancouver.

TAVARES

HORVAT

SUTTER

GAUDETTE

No problem there.

A bigger problem in signing Tavares to me is that he would take precious development minutes at center for Pettersson; a position that is much more finicky than winger.

But it’s Tavares we’re talking about.

15 hours ago, Me_ said:

TAVARES

HORVAT

SUTTER

GAUDETTE

No problem there.

A bigger problem in signing Tavares to me is that he would take precious development minutes at center for Pettersson; a position that is much more finicky than winger.

But it’s Tavares we’re talking about.

Easy remove Sutter 3rd line and put petterson there

We will not draft a tavares potential player for many years

Amusingly enough, if Tavares did come here, I feel like he'd actually make a good player out of Loui. We could keep most of our other lines together without the juggle, Tavares gets a skill winger (whose confidence is somewhere around zero) and is definitely not on a one-man team - with Bo taking up the #2/ 1B centre spot it gives a wide open one-two punch up front.

Defence is suspect, but we go from toilet bowl to wild card contenders with a single add. That's not bad.

10 hours ago, brownky said:

Amusingly enough, if Tavares did come here, I feel like he'd actually make a good player out of Loui. We could keep most of our other lines together without the juggle, Tavares gets a skill winger (whose confidence is somewhere around zero) and is definitely not on a one-man team - with Bo taking up the #2/ 1B centre spot it gives a wide open one-two punch up front.

Defence is suspect, but we go from toilet bowl to wild card contenders with a single add. That's not bad.

Eriksson-Tavares-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Petterson

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen

Granlund-Gaudette-Reaves

Goldobin

Sign me up !

8 hours ago, Jayinblack said:

Eriksson-Tavares-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Petterson

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen

Granlund-Gaudette-Reaves

Goldobin

Sign me up !

I would try to put Petterson in the best possible position to succeed on offence so I would put him with Tavares. I also liked how Leipsic played with Horvat, and think Eriksson still has value as a defensive minded winger.

Petterson-Tavares-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Leipsic

Eriksson-Sutter-Virtanen

Granlund-Gaudette-Goldobin

Or we try to add a veteran model to Gaudette's line and put Goldobin in a more offensive role and go:

Petterson-Tavares-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Goldobin

Leipsic-Sutter-Virtanen

Granlund-Gaudette-Eriksson

Regardless though we would have one very skilled offensive line. A second line that can score and has a responsible Horvat on it. And our 3rd and 4th are defensive minded. We would also have a good mix of youth and veterans. 

23 hours ago, WishX said:

Easy remove Sutter 3rd line and put petterson there

We will not draft a tavares potential player for many years

Pettersson is a 1C. Putting him on as 3C would serve him in no way and neither would it the Canucks.

No way they sign Tavares to a 7 year contract if they believe Pettersson is a potential number 1 center (which I think they do)

All that would do is create a logjam down the middle in a few years, which I doubt they want.

It's nice to dream but I really don't see this being a possibility.

Archived