The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jake is clearly faster than even McDavid.  We all saw evidence of that.  Is Hughes even faster? 

Virtanen is the only guy I saw actually pull away from McDavid on a rush last season.  I think McDavid was near the end of a shift, but it was still something to see!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

OJ is a better player, because he’s more skilled and has a way higher hockey Q than those other two.  I think OJ appears to be a better skater, because of his elite skill, and hockey sense.  None of these are even close to Hughes, of course. Sergachev can't play D, and Chyrchrun only had 20 points in a season so far. Juolevi will be so much better than these two bums.

Hmmm....there is not enough homerism from you Alf. No worries, I got your back. FTFY.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree - it is a bit of a silly comparison as they are totally different players.   Dahlin is such a complete player with a D-first mentality and Hughes is a breed apart that simply is hard to define.   

I don't agree on the career thing - I think Dahlin will have a HOF career in almost all likelihood.   Not sure that is in Hughes' future but I do think, and have said a few times, when both careers are done that Hughes will have more "Highlight of the Night" moments.   Think to Lidstrom and how many "edge of your seat moments" you can recall from his career but he is in the top 3 all time discussion as a Dman in NHL.    That is a good Dahlin comparable as far as his ceiling.    Hughes I have a hard time coming up with a comparable - kid is simply something different but above all, damn exciting.    

Simply put, I was glad the Canucks didn't win the lottery this year because I wanted Hughes. And have taken a lot of flak for saying so. If Hughes is the we expect then he is the best player in the draft because he will be that Rob Niedermeyer type that you can't defend. Those players only come around every decade or so.  Dhalin is a stud of a defenseman and will be a top pairing guy. Hughes will be a top pairing guy and will give defensemen fits because of the Phil Housley factor. If Bobby Orr was in the draft he wouldn'd go first over all either. So it looks like the draft sped the Canucks rebuild up with two great players one this year EP and Hughes next year. And for the camp thinking Hughes won't want to be on the highlight reel Canucks next year.....He will get to feed EP and Brock Boeser.  

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

OJ is a better player, because he’s more skilled and has a way higher hockey Q than those other two.  I think OJ appears to be a better skater, because of his elite skill, and hockey sense.  None of these are even close to Hughes, of course.

What I recall from the pre draft analysis is that OJ was touted for his skating, IQ and passing.  The description of his skating was ‘smooth, flawless’ He had great technique.  As for other d men, who cares other than FTG.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

What I recall from the pre draft analysis is that OJ was touted for his skating, IQ and passing.  The description of his skating was ‘smooth, flawless’ He had great technique.  As for other d men, who cares other than FTG.  

You are the one that brought up other D when you falsely claimed he was ranked the “best” D skater in the draft. That’s on you bringing up the comparisons other D men. All I did was call out your claim. 

For someone who spent the 3 months leading up to the draft bashing Quinn Hughes. Saying he’s too one dimensional (you would rather take a forward than him), he too small, too weak, can’t battle and that you can’t see his game translating into the NHL.......as well as arguing with the people who did praise him, you sure did a 180 flip.

How can someone be so opinionated prior.... but yet with the snap of JB’s fingers you got on your knees and worshiped. It’s almost like he as a cult like following. Anything’s he says becomes gospel. If all you do is follow. Why provide an opinion at all. Why not just wait till he speaks before you state your beliefs. What good is YOUR opinion if it is so easily persuaded to contradict itself in mere minutes. Either way enjoy the plate of crow, every point Hughes gets with us, just remember he’s the guy you didn’t want. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

•  

6. Olli Juolevi (D)

•  

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button

RANK AND SCOUTING REPORT

2016 RANK HOCKEY SENSE COMPETITIVENESS SKATING HANDS DEFENSIVE PLAY
6 5/5 5/5 4/5 3/5 4/5

1/5 Poor 2/5 Adequate 3/5 Good 4/5 Very good 5/5 Excellent

For Hughes I would go with 

HOCKEY SENSE COMPETITIVENESS SKATING HANDS DEFENSIVE PLAY
  5/5 5/5 5/5 4/5* 3/5

*4/5 because I am including his shot under hands (5/5 for puck skills and 3/5 for shot)

Edited by Bure_Pavel

16 hours ago, Kauna said:

Virtanen is the only guy I saw actually pull away from McDavid on a rush last season.  I think McDavid was near the end of a shift, but it was still something to see!

Virtanen has McDavid's number. From crushing hits to breakaway speed. Keep your head up Connor.

As for Hughes, I really hope he has an outstanding year at Michigan. Unfortunate that he won't be playing with his brother, but it will buy him an extra year to develop. If he's this good now, how good will he be at the start of next (2019/20) season? Hoping he can improve his shot, but his skating, stick-handling, awareness and hockey IQ is top notch.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Virtanen has McDavid's number. From crushing hits to breakaway speed. Keep your head up Connor.

As for Hughes, I really hope he has an outstanding year at Michigan. Unfortunate that he won't be playing with his brother, but it will buy him an extra year to develop. If he's this good now, how good will he be at the start of next (2019/20) season? Hoping he can improve his shot, but his skating, stick-handling, awareness and hockey IQ is top notch.

Ya, this year should be good for him. If he can increase his strength and round out his shot and defensive play he will be better for it in the long run. 

19 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

OJ was never touted as the best skater. I followed those D all year long during that draft and debate non stop with people. Not even the extremely pro Juolevi poster would say he was the best skater. it was always well known that sergachev and chychrun were superior skaters 

Were they better skaters? (honest question)

I recall Juolevi as a great skater. But correct, never to the extent he was considered the top of his draft class. Simply the ''mobile D concept'' as skating goes... I think (correct me if need be) the same applies to Ty Smith this year, albeit he is a bit more nimble.

I also only recall Chychrun & Serg as BIG guys who could skate. Serg with some agility that gave him added junk, ability to undress opposition. Chychrun with some man child strength, win battles, clear the net. I liked that!  Debated Chychrun as 2knd or 3rd in the draft, pre-draft. And I liked Serg, yet did not know where he fit. Was excited we simply got a top D, wanted a top D desperately. Was going to roll with a GM's superior knowledge of who it was, when we selected OJ? That's how I felt at the time!

But Quinn by comparison was considered the single fastest player in the draft. And with electric agility. Even more so, was going to enter the NHL directly in the conversation among the fastest guys in the NHL? I don't recall that conversation applying  to any D OJ's draft year.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Were they better skaters? (honest question)

I recall Juolevi as a great skater. But correct, never to the extent he was considered the top of his draft class. Simply the ''mobile D concept'' as skating goes... I think (correct me if need be) the same applies to Ty Smith this year, albeit he is a bit more nimble.

I also only recall Chychrun & Serg as BIG guys who could skate. Serg with some agility that gave him added junk, ability to undress opposition. Chychrun with some man child strength, win battles, clear the net. I liked that!  Debated Chychrun as 2knd or 3rd in the draft, pre-draft. And I liked Serg, yet did not know where he fit. Was excited we simply got a top D, wanted a top D desperately. Was going to roll with a GM's superior knowledge of who it was, when we selected OJ? That's how I felt at the time!

But Quinn by comparison was considered the single fastest player in the draft. And with electric agility. Even more so, was going to enter the NHL directly in the conversation among the fastest guys in the NHL? I don't recall that conversation applying  to any D OJ's draft year.

Yup.  Hughes is the best skating Dman (while possessing the puck) since Orr.  

Just now, Alflives said:

Yup.  Hughes is the best skating Dman (while possessing the puck) since Orr.  

To be seen and determined with time. There have been some other greats, Housley, Niedermeyer first to mind...

But yeah, pretty exciting.

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

To be seen and determined with time. There have been some other greats, Housley, Niedermeyer first to mind...

But yeah, pretty exciting.

Housley had Hughes’ puck skills, but not the dynamic speed.  Niedermyer had the speed, but not the puck skills.  Orr had the whole package, which is why I make that direct comparison.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1