The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

You were highest on Boqvist weren't you?

I think several of us were high on Boqvist, because we thought there was zero chance Hughes would fall to us.  Hughes will be an NHL superstar.  Boqvist has a chance to be a star, but he is also highly bustaroo material.  If we didn’t get Highes, I would have been happy with Boqvist.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, Smith, Bouchard...in that order.

I was Dobson, Smith, Boqvist and Bouchard in that order with several forwards I would have taken before Boqvist and Bouchard.   I didn't have any concept of Hughes being available at 7.   Kudos to those who saw that happening.

13 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Had him and Dobson basically even, marginally behind Hughes. Dobson slightly ahead given his lower risk factor.

Defended the Boqvist 'hate' a lot, so I can see why you'd have gotten that impression.

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I was Dobson, Smith, Boqvist and Bouchard in that order with several forwards I would have taken before Boqvist and Bouchard.   I didn't have any concept of Hughes being available at 7.   Kudos to those who saw that happening.

But like Rob, I really didn't think Hughes was going to be available when we picked. Figured he'd be gone 3-5. Drafted him at 4 in my own fantasy league (those three I had rated at 4, 5 and 6).

Boqvist's probably the riskiest of the bunch but if he puts it together, he could easily be as good/better as Hughes. Almost as fast/crafty of a skater, better shot, arguably a a better athlete and with more time (younger) to improve. Hughes probably has a slight edge on IQ (though Boqvist is no slouch) and Hughes seems to have more 'drive' (some of that could be the almost 1 year age difference too). But he's certainly less of a sure thing.

• Cheers 1

All I can say is of all the picks we have made in for as long as I can remember this is the pick I was most excited about right from the second We picked him.  Boeser and Petterson grew on me but I was excited right away with Hughes.  

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Had him and Dobson basically even, marginally behind Hughes. Dobson slightly ahead given his lower risk factor.

Defended the Boqvist 'hate' a lot, so I can see why you'd have gotten that impression.

But like Rob, I really didn't think Hughes was going to be available when we picked. Figured he'd be gone 3-5. Drafted him at 4 in my own fantasy league (those three I had rated at 4, 5 and 6).

Boqvist's probably the riskiest of the bunch but if he puts it together, he could easily be as good/better as Hughes. Almost as fast/crafty of a skater, better shot, arguably a a better athlete and with more time (younger) to improve. Hughes probably has a slight edge on IQ (though Boqvist is no slouch) and Hughes seems to have more 'drive' (some of that could be the almost 1 year age difference too). But he's certainly less of a sure thing.

Agent,  watching as much of the summer series as I could, Bomqvist has a long way to go to catch up to Hughes. He has the tools, better shot, not as good at skating, but his overall game needs to grow a lot.  

Like many I thought Hughes would be long gone by the seventh pick.  I didn’t follow him too closely but Bomqvist is a project, he is really young and has time so in a way Chi was the prefect spot for him. 

I wanted Dobson followed by Walhstrom and Bouchard equally at seven.  Bouchard fell a bit for me at the end.  Hughes has surpassed them in my mind, but JB sold me at the draft. Chi knows a thing or two about drafting too, so what do I know. 

1 minute ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Agent,  watching as much of the summer series as I could, Bomqvist has a long way to go to catch up to Hughes. He has the tools, better shot, not as good at skating, but his overall game needs to grow a lot.  

Like many I thought Hughes would be long gone by the seventh pick.  I didn’t follow him too closely but Bomqvist is a project, he is really young and has time so in a way Chi was the prefect spot for him. 

I wanted Dobson followed by Walhstrom and Bouchard equally at seven.  Bouchard fell a bit for me at the end.  Hughes has surpassed them in my mind, but JB sold me at the draft. Chi knows a thing or two about drafting too, so what do I know. 

Yup risky and project. HIGH ceiling though.

8 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So Hughmes, Dombson, then Bomqvist... with Boumchard way behind.

Dahlin

Svech

Zadina

Hughes

Dobson

Boqvist

Kotakaniemi

Whalstrom

Tkachuck

Smith

Farabee

Bouchard

Veleno

Hayton

Bokk

Kaut

Kupari

Kravstov

Miller

Noel

• Upvote 1

I know we shouldn't set expectations but what are everyone's expectations for him to achieve next year in the NCAA? What would you consider above expectations or below?

Adam Fox had 28 points in 29 games last season (2nd NCAA year)

Zach Werenski had 36 points in 36 games (2nd NCAA year)

Hughes had 29 points in 37 games (1st NCAA year)

I'm putting expectations of him having a minimum of point per game so 37 points in 37 games. Anything above 40 points I would consider that blowing my expectations out of the water. I would be pretty disappointed if he only had 34 points. I'm also hoping he works on his shot this summer and can improve dramatically on his goal totals. Hoping for about 8-10 goals

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

I know we shouldn't set expectations but what are everyone's expectations for him to achieve next year in the NCAA? What would you consider above expectations or below?

Adam Fox had 28 points in 29 games last season (2nd NCAA year)

Zach Werenski had 36 points in 36 games (2nd NCAA year)

Hughes had 29 points in 37 games (1st NCAA year)

I'm putting expectations of him having a minimum of point per game so 37 points in 37 games. Anything above 40 points I would consider that blowing my expectations out of the water. I would be pretty disappointed if he only had 34 points. I'm also hoping he works on his shot this summer and can improve dramatically on his goal totals. Hoping for about 8-10 goals

How about adding 10 lbs of muscle while maintaining the skating.

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

That might have been me?

I had Boqvist as 2knd best D.  Amongst a wealth of v good options. Also, I was very high on Dobson & Hughes.  Had Wahlstrom mixed in. I liked Smith close behind. Not sure I was brave enough to pick him top 10. Could have danced a jig with any of these...

I also would have had Huhes 2knd among D though, in a mock draft. How I thought it would go down? Versus my opinion.   

5 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A lot have Schaller in opening lineup...think he is probably on shelf until mid-November as a best guess.

Beating a dead horse...  (not yours)

There will usually be two forwards & a D on the shelf. At least, if not more? Who need to be in the line up to start. So we paper down Gaudette & Pettersson, etc..  Put everyone on the IR. Then call up the deserving rookies for opening night! Variations of it happen every year!

I missed Schaller being injured altogether at my end. 

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Dahlin

Svech

Zadina

Hughes

Dobson

Boqvist

Kotakaniemi

Whalstrom

Tkachuck

Smith

Farabee

Bouchard

Veleno

Hayton

Bokk

Kaut

Kupari

Kravstov

Miller

Noel

That’s a solid list. Very close to what I had as well. 

After watching Hughes fitting right in at the World Championship I moved Hughes into the 3rd spot ahead of Zadina.

Also, I love that you had Miller in your top 20. I definitely would’ve picked him in the top 20. I think he has an insane amount of raw talent and that with his swag personality and confidence on the ice that he’s going to shine in NYC. 

• Upvote 1

Benning was hopping he could draft a mobile puck carrying defence man who could walk the line and quarterback the power play. 

He got exactly that and now our team has one more piece crossed off. 

We still need a top pairing RD and a physical top 6 LW with skill 

• Upvote 2