The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

On 5/27/2019 at 4:07 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That guy’s killing it in second tier German pro, scoring nearly a point per game last season for the “Ice Pirates” of Crimmitschau.

Was he not part of an academic cheating scandal at Harvard, and I can't recall the Canucks giving him an offer?

On 8/4/2019 at 4:05 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Both are 1999 born so ineligible by age for the 2020 tournament.

What is the rule regarding the birthdate? I've heard some people say that players are eligible as long as they are 19 at the start of the Tournament, I've also heard that you have to be 19 throughout the whole thing.

Either way Hoglander will miss out on eligibility in his draft+2 season by a few days. I remember being disappointed by that a couple years ago with Dahlen (they have the same birthday)

• 1 month later...

Madden and Northeastern playing their season opener tonight vs. Union. Currently leading 2-1 in the 3rd. Madden no points.

Recent Canucks pick, and Huskies Freshman, Aidan McDonough isn’t in the lineup tonight.

Game is streaming on On-Hockey but due to dodgy legality of that site in some jurisdictions, I’m not giving a link.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Huskies complete the sweep this weekend with another 2-1 win over Union.

Madden held scoreless again, but not for lack of trying. He led all skaters with 9 shot attempts and 5 SOG, went 4-0 on the dot, blocked 3 shots, and finished +1.

Play by play guy tried his best to give Madden a goal tonight too:

EDIT: Aidan McDonough was again left off the game lineup.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nope. He’s from one of the other Hughes hockey families. There are a bunch of different ones, actually.

Quinn’s brothers are Jack and Luke.

There’s another set of Hughes brothers named Cameron, Ryan, and Liam.

Riley Hughes’ father Kent and his uncle Ryan (1990 Nordiques 2nd round pick) both played.

Then there are at least two other prospects out there named Jack Hughes. 

The list goes on and on. 

One might say that there’s a “Hughes“ number of kids named Hughes that play high level hockey. 

Luke is going to be a absolute beast 

1 hour ago, Snapshot85 said:

Luke is going to be a absolute beast 

Luke's apparently a Quinn 'clone' in the way he plays, and some say he has even better skating, which is hard to fathom. Also is already taller. 

If we could somehow get Luke, our D would be insanely deadly. 

1 hour ago, Laheys Liquor said:

Luke's apparently a Quinn 'clone' in the way he plays, and some say he has even better skating, which is hard to fathom. Also is already taller. 

If we could somehow get Luke, our D would be insanely deadly. 

Yup, Luke is already 6 foot and seems to be still growing, he skates just well as his brothers (and as you note, some people even say he’s the best skater of the three), plays a very similar game to Quinn, and he’s currently leading all USNTDP U17 defencemen in scoring/scoring rate with 10 points (5G 5A) in his first 11 games (USDP+USHL) of 2019-20.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yup, Luke is already 6 foot and seems to be still growing, he skates just well as his brothers (and as you note, some people even say he’s the best skater of the three), plays a very similar game to Quinn, and he’s currently leading all USNTDP U17 defencemen in scoring/scoring rate with 10 points (5G 5A) in his first 11 games (USDP+USHL) of 2019-20.

I remember the Stastny brothers (Peter, Marion, and Anton) playing for Quebec.  They were all super good.  It would be really cool to have the three Hughes boys here.  Get ‘er done JB

• Thanks 2

Just a reference for the younger guys, Alf. How good were the Stastny's?:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5156

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5154
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=5155
This was after they had already had careers in Czechoslovkia and International hockey.  Marian Stastny was the eldest of the brothers (3 years older than Peter) and had the more goals in a single season in Czechoslovakia) But Peter had the better and longer NHL career.  Great players all.

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

When is his draft year?  Gotta think that he will be a top 5 pick. 

On 10/12/2019 at 4:03 PM, Quantum said:

I expect Madden to sign his ELC this March and play his first few NHL games at the end of this season. This kid's a steal. 

I think it would be better for him to go and help the Comet's in a long playoff run.  They need Center depth.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

When is his draft year?  Gotta think that he will be a top 5 pick. 

at least 2 years from now. Very unlikely we will have a top pick then. But maybe we miss the playoffs and win the Lotto into top 3...Nah Gary Bettman!

0pts in 2gp for Madden so far. Not sure if he goes pro this spring, if anything maybe for a Utica contract. Wouldn't be the worst thing to have him play 3 years of College tho, guy needs to put on some weight, got loads of time to hit the gym in College to try and achieve that