The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

I think that Hughes, Cozens, Kakko, Podkolzin are all elite level FWD prospects.  I'd put Krebs, Turcotte, lavoie Dach in the next tier for now.  If we are picking in the 5-10 range I think I would lean toward takeing the best D, likely Broberg, Byram or Honka.

Vancouver, in my opinion, is set down the middle for a long time.

That being said, you can't turn down a player like Hughes. Could you imagine having a line of Hughes-Bo-Boeser? It would be the punch line part 2! Hughes as Toe Blake, the playmaking winger. Bo as Elmer Lach, the hard drive the net type of player. Brock as Maurice Richard, the pure goal scorer (not the speedster though). I would also not turn down Kakko, he is a very talented forward that would be foolish to pass on. But my absolute favourite player in the draft is Broberg. He and Hughes on the same pair together would be something special, and he comfortably plays on his off-side, which is important. I would also take Byram at 4, except IDK if he can play on his off-side, I haven't watched him that closely.

If we are trash this year and don't leave the draft floor with one of these players, I will be fuming. If we somehow compete and don't get one of these players, I'll be gucci

1. Hughes

2.Kakko/Broberg

3. Byram

On 2018-10-03 at 5:47 AM, Isam said:

Damn, somebody is a believer in kaliyev. No love for ryan suzuki?

I like him but I like those guys ahead currently , most likely will change lots of time and games to be played

and I really do like him ans boldy 

but to get 1 of hughes, Cozens, Dach would really solidfy us down the middle 

kakko looks like a home run winger and Byram would be a big piece to our blue line pipeline too

really this draft looks awesome hope we can add some picks!

I may be overthinking this but having 2 Hughes on the same team brings a lot of redundancy in terms of skill set as well as the same pitfalls. They are both elite play makers and puck distributors with less than elite shots. Both of them are of questionable size for 4 rounds of the Stanley cup playoffs. 

A big winger is currently in need to complement Pettersson once Eriksson's contract expires. At least 2 more elite prospects for D would be desirable. During the past 10 years, for reasons unknown to me, it seems that the league has not produced as many elite D as the number of elite F. 

• Like 1

I'm not going to dream about drafting Jack Hughes, because it won't happen. It would be great if it did, and of course they take Hughes, but I think the Canucks will be better than most expect (won't finish last) and they would need incredible luck to drop to the #1, which has never happened. Kind of like that bogus contest if a Canucks player scores 5 goals in a game lol Never happens.

I think the NHL takes pity on OTT and they get the #1. I'm sure they'd like to improve the rivalry between the Leafs and Sens.

I'll guess the Canucks pick around #8 next year. Too bad there aren't any great right-shot D expected in the Top 20. Only 1 LWer too, and the Canucks no longer have any LW prospects outside of the Canucks and Comets. Should be interesting.

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not going to dream about drafting Jack Hughes, because it won't happen. It would be great if it did, and of course they take Hughes, but I think the Canucks will be better than most expect (won't finish last) and they would need incredible luck to drop to the #1, which has never happened. Kind of like that bogus contest if a Canucks player scores 5 goals in a game lol Never happens.

I think the NHL takes pity on OTT and they get the #1. I'm sure they'd like to improve the rivalry between the Leafs and Sens.

I'll guess the Canucks pick around #8 next year. Too bad there aren't any great right-shot D expected in the Top 20. Only 1 LWer too, and the Canucks no longer have any LW prospects outside of the Canucks and Comets. Should be interesting.

Ottawa does not have a 1st rounder in 2019.  Lol

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Ottawa does not have a 1st rounder in 2019.  Lol

If I were a Sens fan, I'd be asking for that donated liver back. It's clearly not being used for anything worthwhile.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Kakko is really making an impression early. There's still a long way to go, but he's the consensus #2 right now like Svechnikov was behind Dahlin. J. Hughes and Kakko are probably closer than Dahlin and Svechnikov though.

Got cozens over kaako at two and hughes running the tables man at one. 

On 2018-10-05 at 8:53 AM, Maddogy said:

I may be overthinking this but having 2 Hughes on the same team brings a lot of redundancy in terms of skill set as well as the same pitfalls. They are both elite play makers and puck distributors with less than elite shots. Both of them are of questionable size for 4 rounds of the Stanley cup playoffs. 

A big winger is currently in need to complement Pettersson once Eriksson's contract expires. At least 2 more elite prospects for D would be desirable. During the past 10 years, for reasons unknown to me, it seems that the league has not produced as many elite D as the number of elite F. 

Patrick Kane has had no problems playing four rounds in the playoffs, having won a conn smythe as well as three Stanley cups, and Jack Hughes compares very favourably with him.

Hughes is the clearcut number one in my opinion, he is a line driver and makes everyone around him better, his puck control and skating is on another level than anyone, and he's just so damn shifty, having a couple guys like that on a team would make us very dangerous. 

I don't think we should be looking to compliment our team with specialty players (unless they're the BPA), it should be about drafting high values assets and the best players. The draft has always been a crapshoot. 

Edited by .Naslund

29 minutes ago, .Naslund said:

Patrick Kane has had no problems playing four rounds in the playoffs, having won a conn smythe as well as three Stanley cups, and Jack Hughes compares very favourably with him.

Hughes is the clearcut number one in my opinion, he is a line driver and makes everyone around him better, his puck control and skating is on another level than anyone, and he's just so damn shifty, having a couple guys like that on a team would make us very dangerous. 

I don't think we should be looking to compliment our team with specialty players (unless they're the BPA), it should be about drafting high values assets and the best players. The draft has always been a crapshoot. 

BPA is definitely the best strategy in the long run. The issue is not whether or not Jack Hughes is an elite player that would make the Canucks better. The question is whether we wish to be pinned down with the same situation that Toronto is in. If we get Jack I would be ecstatic, even though we may end up paying a disproportionate percentage of our cap space on forwards like Toronto. If we don't have the first overall pick for 2019, there are couple of D prospects with first pairing potential at this point.