The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

On 23/08/2018 at 6:26 PM, wildcam said:

Very early for 2019 draft ranking lots can change..

1. Hughes  C 5'11 - 2. Cozen c 6'2 - 3. Kakko - 4. Podkoizin - 5. Brosberg 6'3 D - 6. Krebs c - 7. Newhook c

8 Dach c 6-'3 .. Vancouver Giants Byram D ranked 10...

Vancouver will get a very good prospect, like  Dach 6'3 C, Byram will be a very good D man..

Damn wildcam. Thought you would be riding newhook all the way as a number one pick or atleast a number two.

On 15.8.2018 at 6:47 PM, kenhodgejr said:

Anttoni Honka could be the perfect fit for us. We need a right shot defence man and he could be a solid top 4. I would love if we landed Kappo Kakko with our first and Anttoni Honka with our second or we trade up to get Honka

Dahlen Pettersson Kakko 

Baertchi Horvat Boeser 

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen 

Goldobin 

Gadjovich MacEwen Lind Jassek Palmu Lockwood 

Hughes Woo 

Juolevi Honka 

Tyramkin Stetcher 

McEneny Rathbone 

Sautner 

Brisebois 

Utunen 

I really like your posts, because they display a high level of hockey knowledge and they are well - balanced.

That said I don't share your opinion that Canucks get Honka with their 2nd. Trading up is very unlikely to happen because teams usually want to stay or the asking price is too high. My best guess is that Honka will go top 10 because:

He is a offensive defenseman and projects as a top 4 D-Man and a powerplay quarterback. Best examples for top end offensive defenseman selected in the top10  are Cale Makar was selected 4th overall in the 2017 draft, Quinn Hughes was selected 7th overall in the 2018 draft. Both are offensive defenseman.

Honka will definitely benefit from the team he will play. JYP was the best team in Europe. They won the final of the Champions Hockey League against the Växjö Lakers, the team Elias Pettersson played for last season. With keeping their key personnel I expect them to be a top team in Finland and Europe again next season. Everything is set for Honka to maintain his production or even improve his production in the next season if he stays health.

Given the positional needs the Canucks have I would prefer Honka over Kakko anytime. Canucks need a #1 D-Man, RHD desperately. Right wing is set with Brock (1st line), Kole Lind (2nd line, hopefully) and Jake Virtanen (3rd line).

It's quite interesting to see how many years the  top finnish D-Man prospects need to become NHL regulars. Even Julius Honka (drafted 2014) played a mere 40 games last season and cannot be considered as an NHL regular.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Hoping for a Top 10 pick this year:

1. Hughes
2. Dach
3.Cozens
4. Kakko
5. Krebs
6. Byram
7. Newhook
8. Podkoizin
9. Turcotte
10. Honka
HM: Lavoie, Robertson. Suzuki, Foote, Broberg

Canucks most likely play with the same blueline as last season. That gives you nearly a guarantee that the Canucks are going to finish at the bottom again. No worries ::D

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I really like your posts, because they display a high level of hockey knowledge and they are well - balanced.

That said I don't share your opinion that Canucks get Honka with their 2nd. Trading up is very unlikely to happen because teams usually want to stay or the asking price is too high. My best guess is that Honka will go top 10 because:

He is a offensive defenseman and projects as a top 4 D-Man and a powerplay quarterback. Best examples for top end offensive defenseman selected in the top10  are Cale Makar was selected 4th overall in the 2017 draft, Quinn Hughes was selected 7th overall in the 2018 draft. Both are offensive defenseman.

Honka will definitely benefit from the team he will play. JYP was the best team in Europe. They won the final of the Champions Hockey League against the Växjö Lakers, the team Elias Pettersson played for last season. With keeping their key personnel I expect them to be a top team in Finland and Europe again next season. Everything is set for Honka to maintain his production or even improve his production in the next season if he stays health.

Given the positional needs the Canucks have I would prefer Honka over Kakko anytime. Canucks need a #1 D-Man, RHD desperately. Right wing is set with Brock (1st line), Kole Lind (2nd line, hopefully) and Jake Virtanen (3rd line).

It's quite interesting to see how many years the  top finnish D-Man prospects need to become NHL regulars. Even Julius Honka (drafted 2014) played a mere 40 games last season and cannot be considered as an NHL regular.

Honka is my early favourite for us....but if he keeps up his points per 60 minutes production  next year (or at least relative to the higher league he will be playing in)...I think he ends up in the top 5 of the draft...maybe top 2.

It is hard to believe his ppg totals are so far above Joulevi's and Hieskanen's in the same league and he is almost 2 years younger...!

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Last year we got Hughes because teams reached for Centres in a D heavy draft.  Hopefully if pick in that 5-10 range, teams will reach for D in a centre heavy draft and we walk away with a top 6 guy like Cozens or Dach.  

Lavoie is also an intriguing prospect along with krebs. Actually do wish that someone overeaches for honka.

On ‎24‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, dpn1 said:

In reference to Honka,  I find it hard to base opinions on players just by watching highlights on the interweb :).  The tendency is to think they will are always going to look like they are in those Highlights.  Over estimating their ceiling and ending up being disappointed that they are not what you expected.

Fair enough but for those of us who aren't scouts it's the next best thing.  You can't scout based only off stat sheets.

Interesting thing is that Button holds the view that Broberg will be the best defenceman available for the 2019 draft (not Byram and not Anttoni Honka):

The World Junior Showcase and Hlinka Gretzky Cup are the perfect starting point to look ahead to the 2019 NHL Draft and this early 'Craig's List' provides a Top 5 right now going in.

5. Vasili Podkolzin, RW: He’s a complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player. He's competitive and smart, he can score and make plays and he kills penalties. He has some of the things that Pavel Datsyuk had - strong on the puck and maneuvres the puck in tight and you can't get it away from him. He's got that uncanny ability to open up the puck for great opportunities. This young Russian is a top-end talent for the 2019 draft.

4. Kaapo Kakko, RW: A really well-rounded Finnish winger who can also play the middle of the ice. He was one of the top players at the U-18 tournament earlier this past April as Finland went on to win gold. He can skate and he can think well on the ice. He's got an “unremarkable” quality, yet he's always in the middle of everything making smart plays. He could very well be at the World Junior tournament this December in Vancouver and Victoria.

3. Philip Broberg, D: The best defenceman available for the 2019 draft. He has exceptional skating ability and exceptional command of the game in every single regard. Offensively, he can move the puck up the ice with his skating, he's got great poise and makes great plays under pressure. Everything about his game screams top pair defenceman, if not a No. 1 defenceman in the NHL. His improvement in the last year has been tremendous and you saw that on display at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

2. Dylan Cozens, C: The WHL's rookie of the year last season is a five-tool hockey player. He can skate, make plays, he can shoot, he's exceptionally smart and he's highly competitive. His motor revs at high RPMs and he can play the game any way you want him to play it. Defensively and offensively, he has scratched the surface and is only getting better and he matures physically. He will not be around long at the 2019 draft. 

1. Jack Hughes, C: There's no doubt in my mind that there's any chance he'll be caught for No. 1. He led the U.S. to the gold medal at last November's Under-17 challenge and led the tournament in scoring. He then led the U-18 tournament in scoring in April and led the U.S. to the gold medal game. At last week's World Junior Showcase, he was nothing short of brilliant. He'll shatter records for points this season and will be on the World Junior team as the No. 1 centre for Team USA.

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Interesting thing is that Button holds the view that Broberg will be the best defenceman available for the 2019 draft (not Byram and not Anttoni Honka):

The World Junior Showcase and Hlinka Gretzky Cup are the perfect starting point to look ahead to the 2019 NHL Draft and this early 'Craig's List' provides a Top 5 right now going in.

5. Vasili Podkolzin, RW: He’s a complete winger with all the qualities that you want in a player. He's competitive and smart, he can score and make plays and he kills penalties. He has some of the things that Pavel Datsyuk had - strong on the puck and maneuvres the puck in tight and you can't get it away from him. He's got that uncanny ability to open up the puck for great opportunities. This young Russian is a top-end talent for the 2019 draft.

4. Kaapo Kakko, RW: A really well-rounded Finnish winger who can also play the middle of the ice. He was one of the top players at the U-18 tournament earlier this past April as Finland went on to win gold. He can skate and he can think well on the ice. He's got an “unremarkable” quality, yet he's always in the middle of everything making smart plays. He could very well be at the World Junior tournament this December in Vancouver and Victoria.

3. Philip Broberg, D: The best defenceman available for the 2019 draft. He has exceptional skating ability and exceptional command of the game in every single regard. Offensively, he can move the puck up the ice with his skating, he's got great poise and makes great plays under pressure. Everything about his game screams top pair defenceman, if not a No. 1 defenceman in the NHL. His improvement in the last year has been tremendous and you saw that on display at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup.

2. Dylan Cozens, C: The WHL's rookie of the year last season is a five-tool hockey player. He can skate, make plays, he can shoot, he's exceptionally smart and he's highly competitive. His motor revs at high RPMs and he can play the game any way you want him to play it. Defensively and offensively, he has scratched the surface and is only getting better and he matures physically. He will not be around long at the 2019 draft. 

1. Jack Hughes, C: There's no doubt in my mind that there's any chance he'll be caught for No. 1. He led the U.S. to the gold medal at last November's Under-17 challenge and led the tournament in scoring. He then led the U-18 tournament in scoring in April and led the U.S. to the gold medal game. At last week's World Junior Showcase, he was nothing short of brilliant. He'll shatter records for points this season and will be on the World Junior team as the No. 1 centre for Team USA.

Button flops around on his lists all the time. I think it was about three weeks ago I heard him say that Byram was guaranteed to be in the top 5 at the draft.

Looks like he's already changed his mind haha

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Button flops around on his lists all the time. I think it was about three weeks ago I heard him say that Byram was guaranteed to be in the top 5 at the draft.

Looks like he's already changed his mind haha

Gushes "I love Quinn Hughes" as a commentator in games, less than a month before the draft he had Hughes down around #11, then came on the radio to backtrack.  He loves his waffles.

Phillip Broberg would look so good on this team. His speed and skating is insane. He can shoot and create offence, carry the puck and quarterback the power play. Looks like a true #1D. Reminds me of Rasmus Dahlin. I predict he has a dominant season and his rankings challenge Jack Hughes for top spot. I still think Hughes goes #1 but Broberg has a good chance at going #2. 

Hughes Broberg

Juolevi Woo

Rathbone Stetcher 

On 27/08/2018 at 11:01 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

Russian did you say? noooooo

On 9/6/2018 at 10:04 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

This seems to know what he is talking about....until you realize most of the highlight moves on display in the video is not Jack at all ...it's Quinn (#43)....

Great Quinn Hughes highlights though....

Jack wore #43 for the USNDP  also. https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/5156/usntdp-juniors/2017-2018#players

If you look at the summer showcase for the WJC where they played together. Jack wore 19 and Quinn wore 24. 19+24=43. That number must hold some significance in the Hughes family.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1