The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

23 hours ago, cyoung said:

Very unlikely. We don't have many pieces worth trading that would give us that kind of return

I could see us dealing Edler at the dealine as a rental, then bringing him back for a couple more years in the offseason.  He is our highest value tradable asset, not  sure if he would return a first though.

19 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I could see us dealing Edler at the dealine as a rental, then bringing him back for a couple more years in the offseason.  He is our highest value tradable asset, not  sure if he would return a first though.

Ya, exactly. Tough for teams to drop a 1st on him. Although his value is trending in the right direction. 

On 10/18/2018 at 11:39 AM, Qwags said:

I'm hoping we can get another 1st round pick. Preferably to draft one forward and one D-man.

I think the only way that happens is if it involves trading our 2020 first round pick.  Sort of like when Burkie got the extra pick so he could draft both Sedins.

I don't feel there are any other pieces on our roster that we would be willing to part with that would actually fetch a first round pick.

54 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I think the only way that happens is if it involves trading our 2020 first round pick.  Sort of like when Burkie got the extra pick so he could draft both Sedins.

I don't feel there are any other pieces on our roster that we would be willing to part with that would actually fetch a first round pick.

If we’re out of it and are willing to move valuable vets like Sutter retained or Tanev I think both those guys could garner 1rst round picks from playoff teams. I don’t think Benning would do these types of deals but if we’re looking like another bottom 5 team at that point I think it could be worthwhile trades to look into.

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

If we’re out of it and are willing to move valuable vets like Sutter retained or Tanev I think both those guys could garner 1rst round picks from playoff teams. I don’t think Benning would do these types of deals but if we’re looking like another bottom 5 team at that point I think it could be worthwhile trades to look into.

I would be shocked if either of those guys could land a 1st round pick at this point in their career.

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I would be shocked if either of those guys could land a 1st round pick at this point in their career.

It’s laughable what some gms give up at trade deadline. Some gms go crazy to try and save their jobs.

-Tomas Tatar for a 1rst, 2nd and 3rd

-Rick Nash for a 1rst, Ryan Lindgren, Ryan Spooner and Beleskey.

• Upvote 1

Well one thing for sure is that if there is a year to accumulate picks, it’s this year. That’s one thing tradewise that Benning has yet done very well or often. I thought at the beginning of the year that if MDZ had a better year then last year he would be getting a third maybe a 2nd at best. But now that he’s in the press box I don’t think he could fetch us a 5th. But the season has barely begun, so there is still time to turn things around. We know what Judd and his scouting can do with the picks they already have, let this be the year we get a stockpile of picks somehow...someway...

PLEASE JIMBO GET MORE PICKS! 

FC54F77D-E6B2-496D-9450-3740C5AF03EC.jpeg

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Well one thing for sure is that if there is a year to accumulate picks, it’s this year. That’s one thing tradewise that Benning has yet done very well or often. I thought at the beginning of the year that if MDZ had a better year then last year he would be getting a third maybe a 2nd at best. But now that he’s in the press box I don’t think he could fetch us a 5th. But the season has barely begun, so there is still time to turn things around. We know what Judd and his scouting can do with the picks they already have, let this be the year we get a stockpile of picks somehow...someway...

PLEASE JIMBO GET MORE PICKS! 

FC54F77D-E6B2-496D-9450-3740C5AF03EC.jpeg

That's been the mindset at the start of the last number of years and Benning hasn't delivered on that front. I don't see any reason why that would change now. 

Players that were drafted in the 1st round by picks that were moved last year(excluding trading down) include: Dobson, Farabee, Miller, Bernard-Docker, Beaudin, Lundqvist, Sandin and Veleno. A quarter of the picks in the 1st round changed hands and we weren't on the receiving end of any of them. 

I get that we don't have many expendable assets that would return a first, but there are other ways to get value back. We could have been using our cap space to get more picks by taking back some contracts, but that never happened. 

For this year, I'd like to see Edler moved for the maximum return, which is hopefully a 1st at the deadline. I don't think we should trade Tanev now that we have two young left-handed defensemen in the system (Hughes and Juolevi) and he would be a great partner for either of them. Then re-sign Edler in the summer. 

• Upvote 1

On 13.10.2018 at 8:35 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Im hoping we can add another quality right shot defence protect to our group. Here are some potentials

- Moritz Seider

- Anttoni Honka 

- Kaedan Korczak

- Victor Soderstrom

- Martin Hugo Has

- Lassi Thomson 

Would be nice if we could get one of these guys with our second. 

Seider and Korczak both bring a physical side 

Love this proposal !

You seem to be an hockey expert.

Kid is playing well in the top league in Germany with the team currently sitting at the top of the rankings.

Newhook is kind of all over the place within the top ten in rankings. I saw him as high as #2 in the preseason ranking and also around 8-10. To be honest, the latter is probably a better bet just based on the fact that there are so many good centers. Newhook is listed as a C/LW but is really more of a winger.

On 20/10/2018 at 8:46 AM, Horvat is a Boss said:

Everything he does looks so transferable to the NHL. The puck protection is very good, and that's a skill that I believe allows young players to make the NHL soon after being drafted. The agility on his cuts down below the goal line is hard to defend. Obviously, wicked hands. He would, for me, complete our core group of forwards. The only question I have is how high would your jump for joy be if we drafted him?

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Newhook is kind of all over the place within the top ten in rankings. I saw him as high as #2 in the preseason ranking and also around 8-10. To be honest, the latter is probably a better bet just based on the fact that there are so many good centers. Newhook is listed as a C/LW but is really more of a winger.

22 on buttons most recent list. Seems to be falling quite a bit. Being in the bchl and under 6ft will have that effect.