The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Way to early to make heads or tails of who is going where, but if the Canucks pick 3-7 do they take best Defender available or BPA? They do need to get another first pairing defender (with size) to round out the D corps, but another first line centre would be perfect, tough call this year. Im really interested in what is going to happen at the draft this year. I am praying its the final top 10 pick they make in a long while (barring a trade pick up) 

On 2018-09-26 at 4:52 PM, Nancouver said:

Would love to see benning make a trade for a late 1st and take nolan foote.

Can't see him falling that low, unless we get a top 15 pick. He may drop tho. 

Edited by cyoung
Add

7 hours ago, cyoung said:

Well supposedly that list is a consolidated industry ranking but who knows. There’s still a full season ahead before the draft so rankings will change quite a bit from now until then. One can dream.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, canuckpuckluck15 said:

Way to early to make heads or tails of who is going where, but if the Canucks pick 3-7 do they take best Defender available or BPA? They do need to get another first pairing defender (with size) to round out the D corps, but another first line centre would be perfect, tough call this year. Im really interested in what is going to happen at the draft this year. I am praying its the final top 10 pick they make in a long while (barring a trade pick up) 

Lots of good centres this draft. I would look to solidify that 1-2-3 punch in this draft with Pettersson-Horvat-2019 Drafted Centre. That would be a deep centre core similar to the penguins and Capitals.

• Upvote 1

I am super pumped for this draft. I am probably going to fly back to Vancouver to watch it. Regardless this looks like it will be a good one:

1. The Hughes storyline cannot be beat for obvious reasons
2. Byram - A BC boy who plays for the Giants getting drafted by the Canucks in Vancouver? Also Vancouver in need of another top D, this is a great match. 
3. Kakko - This is the type of player who often goes 1st in a draft that doesn't have a clear cut guy (2017, 2014, 2011?, 2006 etc). High level skill with good size. Drafting a point per game player in Vancouver would always be remembered fondly. 

Cozens and Dach would make nice consolation prices. 

Also with Tag Bertuzzi looking like he is going to go late first/early second I would love to move our 2nd up a few spots and snag him late in the 1st. Although you can only imagine the pressure he would be under so I doubt we will draft him unless his final ranking is mid 20s and he is still available in the 2nd round. 

Here is hoping Edler can waive his NTC so we can get another quality draft pick. Del Zotto, Hutton, Pouliot, probably won't even be tradable - maybe get a 4th round pick tops. 

• Upvote 2

On 27/09/2018 at 11:45 PM, cyoung said:

Depends though. I expect york vlasic and honka to make a bigger push throughout the season, which might let foote drop a little.

On 8/24/2018 at 4:01 AM, dpn1 said:

In reference to Honka,  I find it hard to base opinions on players just by watching highlights on the interweb :).  The tendency is to think they will are always going to look like they are in those Highlights.  Over estimating their ceiling and ending up being disappointed that they are not what you expected.

I agree. To assess the prospects accusatory, we need compilation of their "lowlights". 

7 hours ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

My top 5 right now. 

Jack Hughes

Kaapo Kakko

Dylan Cozens

Vasili Podkolzin

Kirby Dach

I'm thinking I'd love all 12 of these guys in this order currently lol

Hughes

Cozens

Kakko

Dach

Byram

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Boldy

Lavoie

Krebs

Broberg

Kaliyev

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, R3aL said:

I'm thinking I'd love all 12 of these guys in this order currently lol

Hughes

Cozens

Kakko

Dach

Byram

Podkolzin

Turcotte

Boldy

Lavoie

Krebs

Broberg

Kaliyev

Damn, somebody is a believer in kaliyev. No love for ryan suzuki?

Edited by Isam

As a Canucks fan, I am naturally pessimistic . I am now 85% to 90% convinced that Elias is a franchise centre with potential similar to Evgeny Kuznetsov. Elias is still 19, about to turn 20. 

With this in mind, I no longer feel that the team needs to draft Jack Hughes or another elite centre. We should anticipate the cap issues associated with a forward heavy as well as a centre heavy lineup. Toronto is a case in point. 

In theory, as a winger, Alexis Lafrenière may be a better fit than Jack Hughes. I would however be ecstatic if Jack Hughes is a Canuck, even though they may have to pay Elias a centre's salary to play on the wing (like Nylander).

My gut feeling is that Vancouver will draft in a top 3 position. Hopefully they do not draft a Russian in the first round, I don't want any dramas...

• Like 1

Hughes may be better suited to wing anyway.  Will always prefer a centre to a winger in the draft but Kakko, and some of the D are damn tempting.  Would nice to get the choice of the group though with some lotto luck.  A core that includes both Hughes brothers, Bo, Brock, Elias and Demko would certainly be amazing to watch.  That is a hair on fire attacking offensive team

Elias, Bo and Gaudette already are a pretty nice core in the middle.  

If going to spend money on a position it should be C.  Toronto doesn't have a problem with overspending at C, they have a lack of quality D problem.  

Not to worried about the wingers if the C position is solid.  They are easier to find and fill in if the centres are good.  

Look at Pit, they keep bringing in these new wingers and they do well because they are playing with quality.  They move away and aren't the same.  

• Like 1