The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I think a better comparison would be Anthony Mantha for Lavoie. Virtanen was a physical wrecking ball in juniors, with a good shot. Lavioe can play physical but that’s not really in his game, rather he creates scoring chances with his skills. 

Good comparison man although i do think lavoie has a better defensive game then mantha at this age.

I’ve been watching Lavoie a lot this year. That JV comparison is not accurate at all, lol. He definitely has a place on this team. His hands are great and he has a sniper’s shot. Would be over the moon if we somehow landed him in the first round.

1 minute ago, Isam said:

If he didnt have high hockey sense then he wouldnt have been invited constantly to team canada. 

Just like Julien Gauthier? These type of players are the trap picks that teams get sucked into making. 

Virtanen, Crouse, Gauthier, Tippett etc

So many better options.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Looks like the Cnaucks are going to pick in the 8-12 range.

One of Zegras, Krebs, Brink, Soderstrom, Heinola, Dorofeyev should be there

Think brink is  going 18 to 22. Warmed up alot to your boy dorofeyev.

Just now, R.Dahlin26 said:

Just like Julien Gauthier? These type of players are the trap picks that teams get sucked into making. 

Virtanen, Crouse, Gauthier, Tippett etc

So many better options.

Again. He is nowhere near the one trick pony like those guys. He has played great man.

It is gonna be a good year. This draft is gonna be tough to prognoticate. Alot of disagreements are gonna happen, but at the same time, alot of great propects are going to be known on this board. Alot of opinions are going to be changing constantly. Good times.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sold on Lavoie. I don't know if he's a surefire top 6 forward. I think he's more of a 10-20 prospect than top 10.

He can move well once he gets going, could improve acceleration. He's got a decent shot but not comparable to Mantha. I wonder how much being so much bigger at this level plays into his success. Saw todays game vs Charlottetown. He didn't stand out quite like I thought he might judging from his recent statline. 

• Upvote 2

Quick draft question 

is the draft position based solely on points or are the lower spots reserved for playoff teams ? 

If if you make the playoffs do you pick 15-31 ? 

I ask ask because of the division we are in if we sneak into the playoffs we would pick 15th if that’s the case however if we were to just miss the playoffs we would pick 11th

my example is if the season would end today 

basically if we make the playoffs we could potentially drop 4-6 draft positions 

24 minutes ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Quick draft question 

is the draft position based solely on points or are the lower spots reserved for playoff teams ? 

If if you make the playoffs do you pick 15-31 ? 

I ask ask because of the division we are in if we sneak into the playoffs we would pick 15th if that’s the case however if we were to just miss the playoffs we would pick 11th

my example is if the season would end today 

basically if we make the playoffs we could potentially drop 4-6 draft positions 

The 16 teams that make the playoffs start drafting after all the non playoff teams have picked ( barring trades ).

As of today, we are just out of the playoffs, but there are three eastern teams with records better than us, so we would be pick #12.

If we make the playoffs, we are almost certainly 16th in points. If we are out after the first round, our pick would be #16 ( 1st after the 15 non playoff teams. )

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

My Top 3 (outside of the Top 8, which is where I think they'll end up):

BOLDY (LW) - Duel threat (pass/shot), Goal scorer with great vision

KREBS (LW/C) - Skates well, excellent vision. Creative and shifty.

KALIYEV (LW) - A LW Brock Boeser. 

I imagine the Top 8 will be (any of these guys would be even better):

Hughes

Kakko

Cozens

Dach

Turcotte

Zegras

Byram

Podkolzin

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes

Kakko

Cozens

Dach

Turcotte

Zegras

Byram

Podkolzin

Id say thats a fairly safe bet. Wouldn't be surprised if Canucks went after Soderstrom as well considering there was a Canucks coment that said there would be some good D in that area we were picking

A Boldy-Pettersson-Boeser line though...damn

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes

Kakko

Cozens

Dach

Turcotte

Zegras

Byram

Podkolzin

I was calling Boldy early on in the process! I’m a huge fan! I’d take him before Dach, Turcotte and Zegras so I’m not to sure if he makes it around 10 where we could finish. Krebs I think could be a fantastic pick as if he were on a better team could have another 10-15 more points and would likely move up a couple spots in the rankings. Kid has like no support and plays on one of the worst teams in the WHL.

On 2/16/2019 at 12:34 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

I read an report about Lavoie and the writer views him as Virtanen 2.0.:

When watching the tape I couldn’t help but think of Jake Virtanen, a fast skater with size who can dominate weaker defenders in a Major Junior league, there were even some bad things that popped up in both Lavoie and Virtanen’s game. There is just that one thing that is missing from their game, that quick trigger passing and the ability to think the play out before it even happens.

All and all I was curious about the big winger before going in-depth into him but now that I have done that I don’t think there is a place for Lavoie on this team, I could be wrong but I don’t know if he will be much more than a good third line scorer. With the right team he could find his way into a top six but as the Canucks have Kole Lind, Brock Boeser and Virtanen in their pipeline I wouldn’t wasted a first round pick on Lavoie.

Sam Cosentino - SportsNet - Oct. 2nd: "Has size and strength that will make him a physical force once he fills out. Is a snipe show who doesn’t mind the play turning physical. Lackadaisical lapses  :picard:creep into his game from time-to-time, but those should become less frequent with age and working under new Halifax bench boss Eric Veilleux."

Really I think lavoie skating is his weakness!? Unless I just have watched games where he hasn’t exhibited skating as a strength strange 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes

Kakko

Cozens

Dach

Turcotte

Zegras

Byram

Podkolzin

Not the exact same top 8 order but I agree on the 8.

also think if we pick outside of that Krebs/Boldy/Kaliyev are fantastic winger options for us very high on them as well! 

And for D in that range soderstrom seems to be the guy.

so as long as we pick top 12 I think we are going to get a very solid prospect.