The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

8 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

IQ? :huh:

You have to be awfully smart?

To beat a guy who is bigger, stronger, faster? More skilled than you.  There are some out there. But not that many.

I would even put intensity, compete & battle level ahead. There are only so many (Pettersson, Adam Oates?) IQ guys wiith the knack for making a play no one else can see? And I'm doubly sure its hard to guarantee that such IQ translates to the next level. But lots of guys make it? That bust D in front of the net, and wont leave. Come out of corners with the puck. Back check, or fore check like demons, and their team controls the play because they win the puck.  

I'm not sure Ovechkin is that smart, for example... Johnny Hockey? Tanev is smart! Magnificent at closing angles, closing to a puck! Does he have any dangles? A big shot??

IQ is a point of difference. Not what gets you there. 

* Asterisk.  I do believe a measure of intelligence goes farther for a D man. More of your plays are made under pressure. And under pressure where you don't have time, or space. So understanding how plays evolve, what is likely to be low risk. Is an advantage?

But even then? Doughty is not that smart? He thrives, because you cant stop him! He's evasive, and strong, balance. Cannot be knocked off nuthin! His skill is holding people off the puck. Smart?

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

You have to be awfully smart?

To beat a guy who is bigger, stronger, faster? More skilled than you.  There are some out there. But not that many.

I would even put intensity, compete & battle level ahead. There are only so many (Pettersson, Adam Oates?) IQ guys wiith the knack for making a play no one else can see? And I'm doubly sure its hard to guarantee that such IQ translates to the next level. But lots of guys make it? That bust D in front of the net, and wont leave. Come out of corners with the puck. Back check, or fore check like demons, and their team controls the play because they win the puck.  

I'm not sure Ovechkin is that smart, for example... Johnny Hockey? Tanev is smart! Magnificent at closing angles, closing to a puck! Does he have any dangles? A big shot??

IQ is a point of difference. Not what gets you there. 

* Asterisk.  I do believe a measure of intelligence goes farther for a D man. More of your plays are made under pressure. And under pressure where you don't have time, or space. So understanding how plays evolve, what is likely to be low risk. Is an advantage?

But even then? Doughty is not that smart? He thrives, because you cant stop him! He's evasive, and strong, balance. Cannot be knocked off nuthin! His skill is holding people off the puck. Smart?

Your comment about speed, speed, speed made me smile because I thought of AV.

All these things are important but look at it this way, there is no substitute for natural ability but what can a player improve upon through training and practice?

Speed?  Bo Horvat has proven that a mediocre skater can become a good skater

Size?  You can't grow taller but you can add weight to a point

Puck skills?  Practice, practice, practice

Shot?  same

IQ is the one thing that you can't improve.  People develop until about age 23 but we're judging draft picks against their peers.

Drive and the will to improve can be learned in a good culture

I'm not saying that you can draft a Petersson every year but if a player can't understand the game to a certain level, read the play, be creative, they just won't be effective playing with top players even if they have all the speed and skill.  So like you say, they have to at least match IQ but if they have great skills and can't match the game mentally, they will be left behind.  At the risk of getting flamed, I think that IQ is the one thing that is holding back Virtanen for example.

It is what is between the ears that makes a player top 6 or not.

I put IQ first, followed by speed, skills, shot, size is down my list

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Don't forget Madden, and Lind...…..so I checked Beecher....ok! I can get behind that

I also like Seider….it complete many things picking him.....

I love Grewe……...but we have Madden, who I hope get that position

So Lets take Korczak in the 2nd...….big boy, solid one on one, over all sold defensively, can put up points...…..

I’d be down for that! I also have Karlsson as a better chance to make the NHL than Lind. Y’all are sleeping on this guy. 

Beecher - Petey - Boeser 

Pearson - Bo - Madden 

Mrazek - Gaudette - Karlsson

MacEwan

Hughes - Seider 

Juolevi - Korczak 

Tryamkin - Stetcher

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

I think that IQ is the one thing that is holding back Virtanen for example.

I was here. Not meaning to be instant to the response to breath any extra intensity to our discussion.

Jake lacks any elite ability to handle the puck. Particularly under pressure. He does not either beat guys. Except in open ice with speed. Nor put guys on his hip while pivoting or changing direction while maintaining control. Like on the cycle. To create time or space. You could call that lack of IQ?

But he makes, for the most part, good defensive reads. Jumps into lanes & steals pucks. Plays angles on the forecheck and in passing lanes. These say he thinks the game. 

Just more so lacks puck skills and physical tools. 

IQ of course separates a Pettersson. But he is also evasive. And dazzling with the puck. Beats guys routinely. Protects the puck, fends guys off, despite a perceived lack of strength. Like similar body shaped Sedin's. But with even more speed. You say drive and the will to win ''can be learned?'' In the right culture. I agree. But having the balance, and hand / eye coordination, reflexes, core strength, agility. Are all physical gifts as much, and / or more than mental. 

And I also trumpeted compete and battle level, above IQ? Drive being inbred almost. The will to win? An innate ability to force yourself through obstacles.

I suppose you could argue that includes mental ones?    

• Upvote 2

Really curious who's going to end up taking Podkolzin and Caufield. These don't sound like Benning type guys. If I had to guess, I could see a list of:

1. Kakko

2. Hughes

3. Byram

4. Dach

5. Turcotte

6. Cozens

7. Zegras

8. Krebs

9. Boldy

and if these guys are gone, then he goes with Soderstrom.

• Upvote 2

Taking Soderstrom could be wise. Canucks need serious help at RD, and having another elite mobile Dman would certainly help the offence. I've liked a few of the Swedish players (Soderstrom, Broberg, Bjornfot, Grewe, Hoglander)

Top 6

Ferland - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Grewe

Top 4

Tryamkin - Hughes

Juolevi - Soderstrom

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I was here. Not meaning to be instant to the response to breath any extra intensity to our discussion.

Jake lacks any elite ability to handle the puck. Particularly under pressure. He does not either beat guys. Except in open ice with speed. Nor put guys on his hip while pivoting or changing direction while maintaining control. Like on the cycle. To create time or space. You could call that lack of IQ?

But he makes, for the most part, good defensive reads. Jumps into lanes & steals pucks. Plays angles on the forecheck and in passing lanes. These say he thinks the game. 

Just more so lacks puck skills and physical tools. 

IQ of course separates a Pettersson. But he is also evasive. And dazzling with the puck. Beats guys routinely. Protects the puck, fends guys off, despite a perceived lack of strength. Like similar body shaped Sedin's. But with even more speed. You say drive and the will to win ''can be learned?'' In the right culture. I agree. But having the balance, and hand / eye coordination, reflexes, core strength, agility. Are all physical gifts as much, and / or more than mental. 

And I also trumpeted compete and battle level, above IQ? Drive being inbred almost. The will to win? An innate ability to force yourself through obstacles.

I suppose you could argue that includes mental ones?    

I  would argue that due to the structured nature of pro sport, game IQ is what determines how effective a player might be in a given system; despite having or not having the intangibles such as skill, size and etc...   Just will or competitiveness without IQ is incomplete when it comes to pro hockey because of its structured nature but in a pick up game were individual play is much more emphasized it can be more effective.  Although, there are always special circumstances that are organic in nature in which the system breaks down and instinct takes over.  Great discussion and first time posting but long time reader....

• Like 1

With the buzz that Schenn might be re-signed and used as the #6 Dman, what becomes of Tanev? I have a feeling they'll trade him for another 2nd this year. Lots of good players should be around. If this happens and they go with the forward at #10, maybe they'll take back-to-back Ds with the 2nds. Be great to get both Thomson and Korczak.

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Soderstrom would be bad.  Broberg will be taken already.  

? please explain. From the reporting i've seen he sounds like he'd be a great fit on this team. 

• Upvote 1

From my minimal viewings and all I've heard and read, Soderstrom seems like a Tanev type, a very "safe" player with minimal offensive upside.

Can anyone who's seen him more give their opinion on this? If it's true, I'd rather pick a Dman who's more risky and has a higher ceiling.

Regardless though, I feel we're taking a forward who will drop out of the top 9.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Really curious who's going to end up taking Podkolzin and Caufield. These don't sound like Benning type guys. If I had to guess, I could see a list of:

1. Kakko

2. Hughes

3. Byram

4. Dach

5. Turcotte

6. Cozens

7. Zegras

8. Krebs

9. Boldy

and if these guys are gone, then he goes with Soderstrom.

Podkolzin sounds more like a Benning guy than Tryamkin. What makes you think he isn’t a Benning guy?

• Upvote 1

Just now, N7Nucks said:

Podkolzin sounds more like a Benning guy than Tryamkin. What makes you think he isn’t a Benning guy?

Just the whole Russian thing, and the uncertainty he'll actually play in NA. Of course, I don't know what Benning thinks, but Pod seems like a risky pick, and I'm not sure Benning can afford to take many risks with the #10.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just the whole Russian thing, and the uncertainty he'll actually play in NA. Of course, I don't know what Benning thinks, but Pod seems like a risky pick, and I'm not sure Benning can afford to take many risks with the #10.

I’m sure that would get sorted out in the interview process. Podkolzin’s only real comment on the NHL was he wanted to stay in Russia until he’s NHL ready. I think the Russian thing is overblown. Also 2 years to develop in Russia is no different than drafting Caufield and letting him develop 2 years in College. Hell he could stay longer and leave us for nothing. But there’s no “college problem”. 

Honestly I doubt we’ll have to worry anyway, I don’t see Podkolzin dropping to us.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I’m sure that would get sorted out in the interview process. Podkolzin’s only real comment on the NHL was he wanted to stay in Russia until he’s NHL ready. I think the Russian thing is overblown. Also 2 years to develop in Russia is no different than drafting Caufield and letting him develop 2 years in College. Hell he could stay longer and leave us for nothing. But there’s no “college problem”. 

Honestly I doubt we’ll have to worry anyway, I don’t see Podkolzin dropping to us.

I've wondered why some Europeans prefer to stay and play in Europe, when their goal is the NHL. Wouldn't they want to get comfortable with the smaller ice as soon as possible, life in NA and play against pre-NHL (AHL) competition?

I just realized that he's probably too young to play in the AHL. So, it makes sense that he would want to stay and play in Russia against better opponents. More will be revealed at the interviews though. Maybe he has every intention to come to NA after the 2 years and rip it up?

Edited by NUCKER67

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I've wondered why some Europeans prefer to stay and play in Europe, when their goal is the NHL. Wouldn't they want to get comfortable with the smaller ice as soon as possible, life in NA and play against pre-NHL (AHL) competition?

I just realized that he's probably too young to play in the AHL. So, it makes sense that he would want to stay and play in Russia against better opponents. More will be revealed at the interviews though. Maybe he has every intention to come to NA after the 2 years and rip it up?

Euros/Russians can play in the AHL right outta their draft year, I think. That may just be a misconception from playing NHL games. Lol. I think it's only the CHL drafted players that have to go back to Junior.

I think smaller ice surface is a bit overrated as well. Petey adjusted very quickly to the smaller ice. His trouble is the same with all kids, the 82 game schedule can be brutal. Asking 17 year old kids to flip their lives upside down is a lot to ask especially when there is no real downside to developing and maturing at home. We see star level talent develop in their own leagues and transition to the NHL all the time. Boeser, Hughes, Petey all had no trouble not developing in the AHL and College is not a superior league to SHL or KHL. Personally I think the competition of KHL is better than the AHL too. So other than ice surface the downside to KHL does not outweigh the positives to him just being comfortable at home against comparable talent to that of the AHL. At least in my opinion.

57 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

? please explain. From the reporting i've seen he sounds like he'd be a great fit on this team. 

Too much like that guy we had a couple years back, Larson.  He's this draft's Littlegren.  Very high bustaroo coefficient.  

• Like 1