The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Am I the only one who looks at all these US National Development team players with a little trepidation? I wonder if Jack Hughes (and maybe Alex Turcotte) are even better than anyone expects, and a lot of the overwhelming success the others are getting is mostly from who they are playing with.

Last year it was Wahlstrom who was drafted quite high, and had a disappointing D+1 years - when he didn't have Hughes to feed him anymore. I bet a few of Caufield, York, Boldy, Zegras, etc. will end up going higher than guys who end up being superior players.

So personally, when the USDP guys are ranked similarly to the WHL and Euro guys, I lean to the latter.

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Am I the only one who looks at all these US National Development team players with a little trepidation? I wonder if Jack Hughes (and maybe Alex Turcotte) are even better than anyone expects, and a lot of the overwhelming success the others are getting is mostly from who they are playing with.

Last year it was Wahlstrom and Farabee, both of whom were drafted quite high, and had disappointing D+1 years - when they didn't have Hughes to feed them anymore. I bet a few of Caufield, York, Boldy, Zegras, etc. will end up going higher than guys who end up being superior players.

So personally, when the USDP guys are ranked similarly to the WHL and Euro guys, I lean to the latter.

In what world did Farabee have a disappointing D+1 season?

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

In what world did Farabee have a disappointing D+1 season?

Sorry, I meant to contrast Wahlstrom and Farabee going in, and then just got lost in my own post. That's what I get for posting before my 2nd coffee.

Farabee would be a good example of the two. However, I seem to remember Philly taking him at 14 as considered a bit of a reach. Wahlstrom had much higher numbers of the two, and was the higher ranked prospect at pretty much every source. But it seems in retrospect that a lot of it was Hughes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

A lot of talk about Poldkozin 

however if he slides a bit I don’t think he makes it past Edmonton 

he was ranked 3rd overall all year and Holland has had success with Russians 

most likely BPA at 8th as well

I would expect some serious Yakupov gag reflex.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Sorry, I meant to contrast Wahlstrom and Farabee going in, and then just got lost in my own post. That's what I get for posting before my 2nd coffee.

Farabee would be a good example of the two. However, I seem to remember Philly taking him at 14 as considered a bit of a reach. Wahlstrom had much higher numbers of the two, and was the higher ranked prospect at pretty much every source. But it seems in retrospect that a lot of it was Hughes.

Farabee at 14 wasn’t a reach.

he was a top 15 prospect for sure and some were even higher on him.

hes a very good winger prospect. PPG in college first year is great too.

wahkstrom had an issue with his college staff or teams mates or something tried to leave the season early but couldn’t and he didn’t have the best year, but finishing in the AHL he looked good. 3 pts in 5 regular season games and 4 pts in 5 playoff games. Kids a goal scorer

Both are still high end prospects so I’m not sure exactly what you mean about them.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, groovy said:

I would expect some serious Yakupov gag reflex.

Don’t think yak will influence Edmonton’s decision. New sheriff in town, players aren’t comparable asides from Russian heritage.

if he’s the bpa on their board and available he’ll be drafted.

i hope he gets taken before our pick though.

Podkolzin + Broberg are two guys I hope get taken before our selection.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Farabee at 14 wasn’t a reach.

he was a top 15 prospect for sure and some were even higher on him.

hes a very good winger prospect. PPG in college first year is great too.

wahkstrom had an issue with his college staff or teams mates or something tried to leave the season early but couldn’t and he didn’t have the best year, but finishing in the AHL he looked good. 3 pts in 5 regular season games and 4 pts in 5 playoff games. Kids a goal scorer

Both are still high end prospects so I’m not sure exactly what you mean about them.

Guess we'll see. I just have difficulty saying for sure that the complimentary guys on the USDP team can drive play as effectively as the top-ranked WHL forwards (who are already demonstrating that they don't need help - particularly Dach).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Guess we'll see. I just have difficulty saying for sure that the complimentary guys on the USDP team can drive play as effectively as the top-ranked WHL forwards (who are already demonstrating that they don't need help - particularly Dach).

If my personal rankings are any indication (:lol:) you won't have to worry much about them. I'm guessing we're picking between Dach, Boldy, Cozens and whichever D the Canucks have ranked highest if we stay at 10. So you'll likely only have Boldy to 'worry'about ;) 

23 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

After watching the playoffs I would say the best big defenseman available to many small D and you wont win the same as last year.  

Blues Dmen did a great job last night containing Boston and winning board battles.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

sorry for sounding harsh... my post is about my thoughts of Podkolzin. 

Where are highlights from this season. Oh wait he doesn’t have any. One good tournament from last year against boys which is the source of all 4 of his highlights.

i wouldn’t be surprised if Podkolzin isn’t drafted in the top 20. I don’t see any GMs having him as there 1st choice. He’s more like their 3rd or 4th choice. Once he’s still not drafted by #12 the Dman will start being drafted before him.

Even the Goalie Knight will probably be drafted ahead of Podkolzin IMO.

i really really hope he is drafted top 9 so it opens up another player at 10.

But unfortunately I’m pretty sure he won’t be.

The following link provides some context into the numbers Pod put up this year, which seem lacking due to his playing in 3 different leagues (2 of which were adult), so the sample size makes it difficult to get a proper read on his abilities.  Whenever he played in international tournaments against players in his age group, he excelled.  

This link will explain the circumstances around the lower numbers and to why pro scouts believe Pod is projecting as such a high pick.

https://dobberprospects.com/prospect-deep-dive-vasili-podkolzin/

There are some awesome game highlights on the web.  The first thing I notice about him is his great stick handling at blazing speed.  He blows by the opposition and has a tremendous shot. 

There's a reason this kid has sat in most scouts top 3 for the past two years.  I think this guy would elevate Bo's line into a #1 (point wise) and will be doing so in a couple of years.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It’s tough - sometimes doing it on your own is better sometimes playing with high end players is better. There’s examples of both failing and succeeding so hard to judge what is better you know.

I get what you are saying though 

Edited by R3aL
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, J-P said:

Not saying Bo is a 3C, just that he could be a 2-3C on a deep contender  (think Pittsburgh). 

It would work like this: 1-3C plays 16-20 mins a night depending on matchups, if offense or defense needed etc. 

This season Gaudette played 11 mins average (as a “3C”) and Beagle about 15 mins, so imagine the difference...

But agree that Bo’s at least a 2C on pretty much every team in the league and that Zegras on the wing would also be an option. 

Bo’s talent would be wasted on the third line. He’s a workhorse and is bordering on becoming Bergeron 2.0 if he can up his defensive game slightly (which is already great just not selke level). A guy who has 70 pt or more talent (which he’s shown given his ppg and trajectory) plus great everywhere else should be in your top 6 and seeing as much ice as possible. I know you’re not saying he’s a 3c, but I’m saying you never put him there because he’s just too good to be there.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The following link provides some context into the numbers Pod put up this year, which seem lacking due to his playing in 3 different leagues (2 of which were adult), so the sample size makes it difficult to get a proper read on his abilities.  Whenever he played in international tournaments against players in his age group, he excelled.  

This link will explain the circumstances around the lower numbers and to why pro scouts believe Pod is projecting as such a high pick.

There are some awesome game highlights on the web.  The first thing I notice about him is his great stick handling at blazing speed.  He blows by the opposition and has a tremendous shot. 

There's a reason this kid has sat in most scouts top 3 for the past two years.  I think this guy would elevate Bo's line into a #1 (point wise) and will be doing so in a couple of years.

I stand by what I posted earlier. I hope he is drafted top 9 so Canucks have one more better option at 10.

i really don’t see him as any GMs first choice. IMO GMs are making other plans that don’t include Podkolzin. The Team that will eventually pick him will be a team that didn’t think he would be there.

he is no teams Plan A.

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Take Podkolzin, we have a similar year to last, miss the playoffs just barely but improve, get another high pick, maybe even win the lottery! Then add in full time the next year, Tryamkin, OJ,Podz! Cup a cometh!

Ferland Petey Boeser

Podkolzin Bo Virtanen

Baer Guadette Pearson

Leivo Beagle Rousell

Elder Tryamkin

Hughes Tanev

Juolevi Stecher

Schenn/Woo

Demko

Edited by 18W-40C-6W