The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Any Victoria/BCHL viewers able to offer some insights having watched Jérémie Bucheler this season?

Seems to tick a lot of boxes for a target in the middle rounds. Good size (6’4”, 200), RHD, and the limited scouting I’ve seen says he skates well, plays with pace, good vision, strong offensive tools, and a good stick defensively. Putting up some solid numbers this season (albeit on a stacked team). He’s a second year draft eligible. Ranked in and around the 100s on some lists. Committed to Northeastern for next season.

Watching some old scouting video packs of Bucheler, I can see why he was so highly touted and went #15 overall in the 2016 QMJHL draft. Ended up playing in the USHL for his draft season, and I’m not sure what happened there, but his numbers were pretty unimpressive and he passed through last year undrafted. This season, after moving over the BCHL, he seems to have rebounded and be back on track with his development.

Plus, like I mentioned earlier, he’s heading to Northeastern next season. That’s a quality NCAA program and one that has definitely served us quite well lately.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Any Victoria/BCHL viewers able to offer some insights having watched Jérémie Bucheler this season?

Seems to tick a lot of boxes for a target in the middle rounds. Good size (6’4”, 200), RHD, and the limited scouting I’ve seen says he skates well, plays with pace, good vision, strong offensive tools, and a good stick defensively. Putting up some solid numbers this season (albeit on a stacked team). He’s a second year draft eligible. Ranked in and around the 100s on some lists. Committed to Northeastern for next season.

Watching some old scouting video packs of Bucheler, I can see why he was so highly touted and went #15 overall in the 2016 QMJHL draft. Ended up playing in the USHL for his draft season, and I’m not sure what happened there, but his numbers were pretty unimpressive and he passed through last year undrafted. This season, after moving over the BCHL, he seems to have rebounded and be back on track with his development.

Plus, like I mentioned earlier, he’s heading to Northeastern next season. That’s a quality NCAA program and one that has definitely served us quite well lately.

Seen him play a couple times, he's definitely a beast out there compared to his competitionn but honestly he didn't stand out too much to me in the times that iv watched but not always a bad thing.

Players that stuck out for me in the five nations are zegras with seven points, cam york was very good off the rush, turcotte was a two way beast, and podkolzin was podkolzin. Kid has a great shot. Caufield definitely reminds me of debrincat. Sucks that alot of the skill guys like hughes weren't there, but overall, good tourney.

6 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I can't help but think Dach is gonna slide a bit heading into the end of the year here if he doesn't start producing. Imo Byram, Cozens, podkolzin, and possibly Zegras and boldy have moved past him already.

Already got turcotte ahead of dach. You can make case for the others except boldy. Love boldy, but he is pretty much entrenched in the 8 to 12 spots unless he finishes off the year strong and just dominates at the combine to get up in the top seven.

• Cheers 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:29 PM, 40Dangles said:

My picks assuming we're not top 2 (Hughes/Kakko)

1. Byram

2. Boldy (LW)

3. Broberg

4. Seider -  If later in those who don't make the playoffs or somehow we manage another first and he's available

Gotta be a handful of dudes ahead of seider and broberg. Dach, Cozens, Turcotte etc. If we are selecting 10+ they can justify the broberg pick and 15+ seider. 

With that being said, if JB likes a guy, he will pick him. I just don't see us going way off the board.

Edited by cyoung

10 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Assuming Canucks pick between 10 and 15:

(LW) Boldy (if he's still available)

(LW/C) Krebs

(LW) Kaliyev

(RD) Soderstrom

(RD) Seider

Agree except for Seider. Not that I’m saying no just haven’t seen him play and from what I’ve read and heard his offensive ceiling is low. 

Soderstrom or or any of those wingers would be ideal 100% I agree.

i don’t care of Kaliyev is 1 dimensional right now. Cause that skill set is NHL level big time. Best release in draft IMO

Krebs is the top LW in the draft imo even tho I think boldy is a stud. If they switched roles / teams I think the opinions on them would be more then switched as well and Krebs would be a top 5 guy.

Soderstrom haven’t watched but Ryan B gave some great insight on him and Broberg on SN650 and really highlight the differences in their skill sets. Really hope we don’t draft Broberg.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:22 PM, cyoung said:

I can't help but think Dach is gonna slide a bit heading into the end of the year here if he doesn't start producing. Imo Byram, Cozens, podkolzin, and possibly Zegras and boldy have moved past him already.

Zegras is going to go very high, fact he’s a C and his play continues to trend upwards are big draft day differentiators 

Byram is going to go 3-6 dependent on the team in those positions for sure. Like if Aves pick 3 I’d bet big money they take him at 3.

• Upvote 1

Canucks have some decent D prospects percolating - Hughes, Juolevi, Brisebois, Chatfield, Woo, Rathbone and maybe even Tryamkin will return.

I added a couple of RDs to my wish list but in reality, I hope the Canucks don't take a Dman with the 1st. Canucks need high level wingers for Horvat and Pettersson. I'm not sure how Dahlen and Lind will continue to develop, and whether or not they'll one day be impactful top 6 players in the NHL. I really like Lockwood and Madden as well, but they're more bottom 6 players.

Krebs/Kaliyev - Pettersson - Boeser

This line would be great.   

7 hours ago, smithers joe said:

benning has said that where they will be picking, that there will be some good defenseman available. was he tipping his hand, or just making a statement?

Haha, Benning probably tipped his hand. He's so transparent, luckily it's worked for them the last few drafts.

15 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Assuming Canucks pick between 10 and 15:

(LW) Boldy (if he's still available)

(LW/C) Krebs

(LW) Kaliyev

(RD) Soderstrom

(RD) Seider

The rankings show that Kaliyev is one of the most controversial players in the 2019 draft, according to Corey Pronman of The Athletic.I’ve had scouts argue to me that I’m crazy if I don’t have him in my first round, and others say I’m crazy if I do (have him in my first round)”.

12 hours ago, smithers joe said:

benning has said that where they will be picking, that there will be some good defenseman available. was he tipping his hand, or just making a statement?

Buy that 100%.

Jim loves top pairing D-Men.

He has the chance to pick one in this years draft.

100% confident that Jim and his team will make the right call, especially with the newly added expertise from outside the org ::D.

25 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Total rubbish. Sounds like 5th hand information from HF boards. Facts are JB was transparent 2014/ 15/ 16. It ended there.

In 2014 it didn't matter. The 'big 5' were just that. We picked 6th. No need to fool anyone. If anyone in the top 5 picked off the board we could take whoever dropped down. ( they didn't.....thank goodness. We would have had dal Colle ! )

In 2015, our pick was in the 20s. No-one cared about our wish list. Too much happens before you get to pick #23 !

In 2016 JB got burned. Dubois was our guy. JB let everyone know. Don't think it changed anyone's pick, but the optics were bad,

In 2017....JB never mentioned Pettersson. It was Glass, Mittelstadt, Vilardi etc.. Never Pettersson.

in 2018, I have no idea who JB was expecting to be available. He talked about Bouchard, Kotkaniemi, Dobson iirc. Don't think he gave anything away.

Now that the team is in a mini slump, the JB bashers are starting to pound their chests and howl at the moon !

In 2016 JB stated his top 5 had one defensemen in it and it was extremely obvious that was Juolevi.  The only was dubois was expected to drop if oilers also passed on him. He was a bit of a long shot. But the team pre draft talked about how they needed a center or a defense, So it was pretty easy narrow it down to those two player and rule our a guy like tkachuk. 

In 2017 pre draft they invited Pettersson to Vancouver to have a further interview. He was the only one that did that and even met with the twins. 

In 2018 JB talked about how important skating was and the need for defense. So it was easy to narrow that down to hughes. He even talked about how impressed he was with Hughes at the World Cup and that the one concern (his size) wasn’t actually a concern. Sure we didn’t know Hughes would drop but it was obvious who he was taking if he was on the board. 

I’m surprised you took that comment as a negative or a bash on JB, the way I read it, it was nothing like that. So what if JB lets it out which players he likes the most. It’s not like other teams are going to throw out their own lists and take the guy early just because JB likes him. How is the a JB knock? As a fan I like that he does, as it gives us an idea into the direction they are going. 

• Upvote 1