The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

13 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Chances are they don't trade either goalie, they are trying to make the playoffs next year and Bennings job could be at stake if they dont. We dont have great goalie depth and if one of our goalies get injured it could end our season without the other. Demko is the goalie of the future, the only way we trade him is if Mikey D proves he can be an NHL #1 goalie. I would move Markstrom at trade deadline next year if Demko takes the reins and they can find a really good vet backup.

The issue with that is that we’re going to get way below market value for one of them, whereas we could potentially get a top ten pick at this draft. You either take the risk, or lose value. 

This is why he’s saying make the deal now. 

12 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

The issue with that is that we’re going to get way below market value for one of them, whereas we could potentially get a top ten pick at this draft. You either take the risk, or lose value. 

This is why he’s saying make the deal now. 

I dont think you are getting a top 10 pick for Markstrom is the problem (hes 29 and his stats aren't top 15 in the league for goalies), and i would be surprised if they are willing to give up Demko this early. The best way to build a team is from the net out.   

Schneider had the second best save percent in the league, under 2.00 GAA and was younger and got a 9th overall pick. Even then New Jersey probably regrets the trade. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think you are getting a top 10 pick for Markstrom is the problem (hes 29 and his stats aren't top 15 in the league for goalies), and i would be surprised if they are willing to give up Demko this early. The best way to build a team is from the net out.   

If we stay as is for the ED, we will almost certainly lose one of them for nothing. People will have Benning’s head if that happens

5 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

If we stay as is for the ED, we will almost certainly lose one of them for nothing. People will have Benning’s head if that happens

Markstrom is a UFA before that, so who knows what happens. Will most likely be a deadline deal if they cant ink him to a reasonable number. 

16 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Schneider had the second best save percent in the league, under 2.00 GAA and was younger and got a 9th overall pick. Even then New Jersey probably regrets the trade. 

Behind a bottom 3rd of the league team and arguably bottom 5 D core...  

As for building from the net out, as I said elsewhere, that's great in theory until you either lose one for nothing in the ED or trade them below market value due to ED market pressures.

People seem to want to act like the ED isn't coming or going to efffect GM decisions making and it's a bit baffling...

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Behind a bottom 3rd of the league team and arguably bottom 5 D core...  

As for building from the net out, as I said elsewhere, that's great in theory until you either lose one for nothing in the ED or trade them below market value du to ED market pressures.

People seem to want to act like the ED isn't coming or going to efffect GM decisions making and it's a bit baffling...

I think we are going to lose a good player in ED either way, losing a 31 year old Markstrom inst the worst scenario possible, especially if Demko is ready to be a starter. Means we probably keep a Lind, Pearson, Leivo, or Virtanen. 

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Markstrom is a UFA before that, so who knows what happens. Will most likely be a deadline deal if they cant ink him to a reasonable number. 

Right, precisely why we need to make a decision on which of the two goalies we're keeping between now and next TDL.

Problem being, if you wait until mid season next year, the pool of perfectly capable vet UFA's this summer capable of backing up for Marky/playing tandem for Demko will be the equivalent of picking through the leftover scraps in the bargain bin at a Black Friday sale.

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

I think we are going to lose a good player in ED either way, losing a 31 year old Markstrom inst the worst scenario possible, especially if Demko is ready to be a starter. Means we probably keep a Lind, Pearson, Leivo, or Virtanen. 

I would FAR rather lose pretty much every one of those players. Wingers are comparatively easily replaceable and less valuable.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Looks like we're pretty much locked into 9th overall position

Well, maybe VAN is 9th - before the lottery. They could drop 3 spots again, as that seems to be the way things go around here. So, might be picking #12?

At that spot, I'm hoping for:

Boldy

Soderstrom

Newhook (left shot, maybe he can play LW?)

Suzuki (left shot, maybe he can play LW?)

Kaliyev (he's from NY, so no Russian worries)

Caufield (super elite scorer, but he's so small and I fear he'll struggle in the NHL. His head is at the same level as most other NHL players' shoulders. Future concussions?)

Brink (only 17 years old, 34 goals in 41 USHL games. He's going to be good)

Edited by NUCKER67

Good write-up on Soderstrom (Elite Prospects)

An uber competitive two-way defenceman that thinks the game at the highest level, Victor Söderström is the complete package. A naturally gifted skater, his ability to traverse all three zones is best described as smooth and effortless. He never looks disinterested and it's always apparent just how badly he wants to win. His vision and awareness is outstanding, allowing him to play a responsible yet dynamic brand of hockey. He's a dangerous puck-carrier with a great shot. Defensively, he makes good decisions quickly and consistently, never looking out of place when pitted up against the other team's top players. He pressures the opposition and limits options, never getting in the way of his goalie. All-in-all, Söderström's competitive instincts allow him to take full advantage of his offensive ability and defensive prowess. He's a game-changer. (Curtis Joe, EP 2019)

Looking at his stats though, they don't appear very impressive. (7 pts in 44 games, and a -11) Doesn't seem to be about the points for him, as much as it is his skating and hockey IQ. My only real concern is taking a Euro Dman with the 1st (mid pick). I think I would prefer to have an elite goal scorer for Petey's wing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I would FAR rather lose pretty much every one of those players. Wingers are comparatively easily replaceable and less valuable.

I dont think Benning is going to trade his job for a late first, just to lose an additional NHL third line player come ED

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looking at his stats though, they don't appear very impressive. (7 pts in 44 games, and a -11) Doesn't seem to be about the points for him, as much as it is his skating and hockey IQ. My only real concern is taking a Euro Dman with the 1st (mid pick). I think I would prefer to have an elite goal scorer for Petey's wing.

As we know stats aren't everything. Keep in mind he's a 17/18 year old playing in one of the top leagues in the world against grown adult professionals.

Kids game is made for the NHL and I think there's a very high chance we pick him this draft. Outside of Hughes, Kakko, Byram and Turcotte I think he's my preferred pick. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I'm not sure where the 'Schneider bombed' narrative comes from, but NJDs needed a #1 goalie and got 6 solid #1 seasons from Schneider. He has had troubles coming back from injury this season, but this year doesn't mean they won't get more good years from him.

6 solid seasons? I'll give you 3. By the 4th season he was at 2.82 with a .908 and It only got worse from there. I was a massive Schneider fan and was devastated when we traded him for a draft pick. But that trade ended up being a home run. I'll take the backbone of our team over 3 seasons of high level hockey from Cory anyday.

By all means I truly hope he comes back and has more solid hockey in him. But I can't agree that they got 6 solid seasons from him by any means.

28 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good write-up on Soderstrom (Elite Prospects)

An uber competitive two-way defenceman that thinks the game at the highest level, Victor Söderström is the complete package. A naturally gifted skater, his ability to traverse all three zones is best described as smooth and effortless. He never looks disinterested and it's always apparent just how badly he wants to win. His vision and awareness is outstanding, allowing him to play a responsible yet dynamic brand of hockey. He's a dangerous puck-carrier with a great shot. Defensively, he makes good decisions quickly and consistently, never looking out of place when pitted up against the other team's top players. He pressures the opposition and limits options, never getting in the way of his goalie. All-in-all, Söderström's competitive instincts allow him to take full advantage of his offensive ability and defensive prowess. He's a game-changer. (Curtis Joe, EP 2019)

His points are better than it looks for a U18 player in SHL. Karlsson had 10 pts in 45 gms in his draft +1 season. 

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think Benning is going to trade his job for a late first, just to lose an additional NHL third line player come ED

Markstroms value has spiked this year and surely people are taking notice. His save percentage is incredible considering he’s been behind a horrible d-corps for much of the season. Another thing, look at his GAA. Relatively high, right? Well having a GAA like that while maintaining a .913 save percentage shows just how many shots and chances against he gets per game. His 1 v 1s are incredible, he’s calm and collected. I would say he’s worth a top 13 pick at the very least, especially to a team like Edmonton. 

14 hours ago, R3aL said:

Well I think ur undercutting Krebs skating ability. It’s top notch. Especially since his puck control and stick handling while accelerating are very impressive imo 

i agree Krebs is a better facilitator/playmaker with his hockey iq and vision. 

Boldy said something on the radio today, that his ability to read plays is natural to him but he has to thank his linemates who think the game on a similar level and are in the areas he anticipates.

krebs does not have that. Krebs linemates do not think the game anywhere near the level he does and people need to understand this.

hard to rank the euro dmen for me just haven’t seen them enough so I’ll just trust management and our scouts

Yeah that's inarguable. I don't even know if Kootney won 15 games this year. Perhaps I was undercutting his skating ability, I guess I mean he doesn't have the Hughes/Zegras type speed but most these guys don't. 

The comparison's I've seen are Konecny & Point. Now Point played on a better team but had 30+ goals & 90+ points in his draft year. I don't think Krebs will be as good as Point is RN, but he could be better than Konecny. Although out of the 3rd he might be 3rd in terms of shot/goal scoring. 

Its just hard to evaluate him being on such a poor team. But I don't doubt he'll be atleast a solid 2nd line player. I've seen alot of people (like you) that think highly of his upside.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I personally think Jacob Markstrom is one of the best goalies in the NHL. Playing behind one of the worst defensive groups in the NHL. 

So many goals were scored because Gudbranson, Pouliot, Del Zotto, Biega, was out of position. Edler and Tanev clearly held this defensive group together and with their absence being injured it clearly showed where the issue was. 

Demko has not played enough NHL games for us to know that he can take over as a #1 goalie or handle a full season as a starter.  How many games did Markstrom steel, how many shoot outs. He is way better than Luongo was when he was playing for us. Markstrom has size and uses it efficiently, he has fast reflexes and comes up with huge saves. He loves to battle and is a good leader in the locker room. Markstrom has earned the #1 goalie spot for this team. We will fight for the playoffs next season. Once our defensive group is improved we will be in a much better position. 

A lot of teams out there are jealous of our goaltending. Its one of the only things going right for this team. Leave it in place. We can always sign a free agent forward. 

:lol: No he's not.