The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

Just now, cyoung said:

Depends what people would give up for a potential number 1 goalie. Lol depends on the team.

Well of course.  At any rate his trade value would skyrocket in my opinion if he's lights out next year.  That's all I'm saying.  And if he's lights out do you really want to trade him at age 24?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well of course.  At any rate his trade value would skyrocket in my opinion if he's lights out next year.  That's all I'm saying.  And if he's lights out do you really want to trade him at age 24?

I have 0 interest in moving him, just saying his value is pretty good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Have to agree with this @Elias Pettersson, he's looked pretty damn good for an injury shortened cup of coffee at the NHL level, behind a porous and also injured D and has major pedigree to back that up. He has value IMO.

The closer we let it get to the ED, though, the more it alters market values. 

I don't think there is a big enough sample on Demko to get proper trade value for him.  He needs to play a full season as a backup and hit 20-25 games in my opinion before we can truly evaluate him and also maximize his trade value.  And if he is as advertised I would not trade him.  He's part of the young core and I'd rather keep him than Marky.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fleury was a #1 overall pick and a Stanley Cup Champion, absolutely no comparison between him and Marky. 

I didn't say they were the same. But Marky was also drafted (relatively) high (for a goalie) and highly touted. He might also have a cup or two if he'd likewise been blessed to play behind Sid, Gino and co.

Besides, I'd wager most teams would care more about how he's playing now vs where he was drafted.

So are they the same? No. That's not really my point though as you're the one that brought up his age. I don't think they'd have a problem AT ALL taking a 31 year old starter.

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's part of the young core and I'd rather keep him than Marky.

And fair enough, I'm not opposed to that at all. I leave that in management's capable hands to make that call.

But we still need to move a goalie sooner than later IMO. Going in to the ED with both is a mistake and the closer we get to it, the more it will negatively effect trade values.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I didn't say they were the same. But Marky was also drafted (relatively) high (for a goalie) and highly touted. He might also have a cup or two if he'd likewise been blessed to play behind Sid, Gino and co.

Besides, I'd wager most teams would care more about how he's playing now vs where he was drafted.

So are they the same? No. That's not really my point though as you're the one that brought up his age. I don't think they'd have a problem AT ALL taking a 31 year old starter.

You may certainly be correct, they may very well take Marky.  But I wouldn't want to trade Demko for that reason alone.  If Demko is lights out and Marky keeps playing well then I'd try to explore a trade for Marky prior to the ED.  If that's not possible then Benning needs to throw some draft picks at Seattle to keep Marky.  If that doesn't happen worse case scenario is we lose Marky and keep our potential young franchise goalie as well as all our other assets that would need to be exposed for the draft.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And fair enough, I'm not opposed to that at all. I leave that in management's capable hands to make that call.

But we still need to move a goalie sooner than later IMO. Going in to the ED with both is a mistake and the closer we get to it, the more it will negatively effect trade values.

Yes I do fully agree with you on that point...

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes I do fully agree with you on that point...

Yet...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Demko is lights out and Marky keeps playing well then I'd try to explore a trade for Marky prior to the ED. 

:P

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

But I wouldn't want to trade Demko for that reason alone.

Not really 'alone'. It's minimizing our ED exposure, course correcting it to more likely have a more readily available/replaceable 3rd line winger, or at worst, middling D taken instead, and maximizing trade value of assets before the ED starts compromising them.

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If that doesn't happen worse case scenario is we lose Marky.

So why lose him for free when we can...not do that? :lol:

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yet...

Not really 'alone'. It's minimizing our ED exposure, course correcting it to more likely have a more readily available/replaceable 3rd line winger, or at worst, middling D taken instead, and maximizing trade value of assets before the ED starts compromising them.

TDL is the earliest something like this is going to happen, The focus right now is the draft and making the playoffs next year. Speaking of the devil some scouts think Spencer Knight could be a Franchise goalie. Im sure Buffalo will be looking hard at him with their multiple firsts.

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

TDL is the earliest something like this is going to happen, The focus right now is the draft and making the playoffs next year. Speaking of the devil some scouts think Spencer Knight could be a Franchise goalie. Im sure Buffalo will be looking hard at him with their multiple firsts.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, aGENT said:

Problem being, if you wait until mid season next year, the pool of perfectly capable vet UFA's this summer capable of backing up for Marky/playing tandem for Demko will be the equivalent of picking through the leftover scraps in the bargain bin at a Black Friday sale.

Has to be either this summer, or next summer IMO. And next summer likely risks being to close to the ED and it's depressed trade values. But wherever Jim feels he can get the most bang for his buck...

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Has to be either this summer, or next summer IMO. And next summer likely risks being to close to the ED and it's depressed trade values. But wherever Jim feels he can get the most bang for his buck...

They arent going into next season without a number one goalie, Demko isnt there yet and there are no UFA #1 goalies interested in coming here without giving them a key to the bank. Maybe next year.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

They arent going into next season without a number one goalie, Demko isnt there yet and there are no UFA #1 goalies interested in coming here without giving them a key to the bank. Maybe next year.

Hence why I believe they'd move Demko.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dpn1 said:
VAN
5'10"
161 lbs
17.9 yrs
USA

DET
6'4"
207 lbs
18.1 yrs
Finland

PHI
5'11"
165 lbs
17.8 yrs
Russia

COLott.png
6'0"
180 lbs
17.8 yrs
Canada

LA
6'3"
176 lbs
18.2 yrs
Canada

I have to admit that it took 3 try's to get this result.  Wouldn't be great if this actually happened.  Here's hopping. :towel::canucks:

Its nice to see some are still optimistic about the Orca's chances. We usually move down in the Lottery, that seems to be a given.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yet...

There is no guarantee that Seattle will want to take Markstrom. Especially if he signs a long term extension with Vancouver.

I don’t think Benning is going to make his future goaltending decisions based solely on the expansion draft. He needs to extend Markstrom’s contract, presumably this summer, and then he needs to get a full read on Demko with hopefully a full injury free season next year in a backup role playing 20-25 games. 

Nothing will be decided until summer of 2020 at the earliest. If Demko is legit then he can look at moving Marky next summer. If Demko isn’t ready to be a full time starter after next year then I’m sure Benning will keep both goalies going into the 2020-2021 season and re-evaluate at the deadline. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

There is no guarantee that Seattle will want to take Markstrom. Especially if he signs a long term extension with Vancouver.

I don’t think Benning is going to make his future goaltending decisions based solely on the expansion draft. He needs to extend Markstrom’s contract, presumably this summer, and then he needs to get a full read on Demko with hopefully a full injury free season next year in a backup role playing 20-25 games. 

Nothing will be decided until summer of 2020 at the earliest. If Demko is legit then he can look at moving Marky next summer. If Demko isn’t ready to be a full time starter after next year then I’m sure Benning will keep both goalies going into the 2020-2021 season and re-evaluate at the deadline. 

At which point we trade at depressed value or lose one for free.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

At some point you have to gamble on one of the goalies. The earlier you do this the greater the return will be. If you wait until next trade deadline you compete with the market of teams that are out of the playoffs and selling and if you wait until next offseason you have like 4 other teams with good backups that they’d rather deal for something than potentially lose for nothing. I’m okay with either guy but I’d personally roll the dice on the youth in Demko. I’d trade Markstrom this summer at the peak of his value.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

At which point we trade at depressed value or lose one for free.

So what exactly is your proposal?  Tarde Markstrom this summer and go with a green Demko as a starter?  Trade Demko while not having even played a full NHL season as a backup?  You just got hired to replace the fired Jim Benning.  You're on the clock...

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

At some point you have to gamble on one of the goalies. The earlier you do this the greater the return will be. If you wait until next trade deadline you compete with the market of teams that are out of the playoffs and selling and if you wait until next offseason you have like 4 other teams with good backups that they’d rather deal for something than potentially lose for nothing. I’m okay with either guy but I’d personally roll the dice on the youth in Demko. I’d trade Markstrom this summer at the peak of his value.

Those are fair points.  So Markstrom is gone and you are rolling the dice with Demko next year?  What if he flops as a starter?  What if he gets another concussion?  I guess you would end up being fired by Aquilini at that point so it probably wouldn't matter...