The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

16 minutes ago, TomatoPieFan said:

They were a dynamic duo on the same line during the Calder Cup run.  Conacher was just resigned by Lightning to a one year one way 700K.  He just got AHL player of the month too.

I'm not sure what that poster is saying?  He wants them to trade Baer for Conacher?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure what that poster is saying?  He wants them to trade Baer for Conacher?

That is how I interpreted that too.... NOT happening!

Well not unless you throw a late 1st or early 2nd round pick in as well lol

Edited by Kootenay Gold

24 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

There's a reason Ive had that guy on block for a long time...........that was one of his better posts, sadly.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

I suppose if you look at all undrafted or walk ons as (FREE) but are they?   Your getting rid of a player under contract that you see a future in.   Time will tell.

Its not going to help Utica that's for sure.  so if attendance drops in Utica because they are free falling from having a decimated team is that still free?  lol

Except that they clearly don't see a future in with Carcone.

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

not even.  Benning knows how hard it is to find players through the draft.  He wants the team to move forward and not continuously start over again.  Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser are not going to be under team control indefinitely.  Goldobin and Virtanen are already in their draft+5 so how many years until a pick in 2019 can become a contributing player.  Foligno when he got traded to Minnesota from Buffalo talked about how they knew that management was wasting their careers by trading players away.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Utica is a development team, if a person is going to be a fan of a development team, especially for an org doing a full rebuild top to bottom, then that's something that person needs to understand.  It's about the process more than the result.  

Vancouver has 5 collegiate players who will not play in Utica. That is a lot of potential talent not available to the Comets.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

Is there something wrong with the GM of the Utica Comets? How could it not have been foreseeable we needed more/better centres? I don't watch Comets games but how does the coach compare to Green? 

I'm not sure what you're saying here

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm not sure what you're saying here

the beef is that the canucks did not sign veteran ahl centres with offensive chops to shelter and bring along all the rookie prospects.   the result is they have a losing team and a chaotic environment for the rookies and a lack of what soccer guys would call "quality" to support the young guys.

i am pretty sure the canucks did it on purpose thinking they had enough depth at centre and not wanting to block prospects, and then sutter and beagle went down, gaudette and archie went up. and it all went to hell.  as for what has happened more recently, i initially thought the canucks were sticking to the plan because they liked the plan, but after they purposely waived archie and then exposed leipsic instead of sendin gaudette down i kind of think they are on a short budget leash in vancouver and utica due to the gagner situation and trying to shed contracts to make changes.

1 hour ago, mll said:

not even.  Benning knows how hard it is to find players through the draft.  He wants the team to move forward and not continuously start over again.  Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser are not going to be under team control indefinitely.  Goldobin and Virtanen are already in their draft+5 so how many years until a pick in 2019 can become a contributing player.  Foligno when he got traded to Minnesota from Buffalo talked about how they knew that management was wasting their careers by trading players away.

Baertschi's numerous concussion history is a concern; if I were Jim Benning, I would consider moving him at the TDL if the return for him was a quality minor league player and a mid 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft. This team is not going to be a cup contender for a couple of years yet so maximizing the depth of the prospect pool by moving a player whose long term viability is very much in question, to me , is a no brainer.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

they are practically the same quality of player albeit one player plays for the best team in the league with a stacked roster and its tough to crack the line up.

I don't buy that at all. Conacher is about to turn 29 years old - has played 189 NHL games, the bulk of which were between 2012-15 and has totals of 28 goals, 46 assists for 74 points

Baertschi is 3 years younger and has 269 NHL games to his credit and has totals of 60 goals, 68 assists for 128 points.

Baertschi was a 1st round pick and Conacher was an undrafted player..... kind of telling as to how the scouts evaluated them.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

No one was drafting players Conachers size then, that's why.    Baer's numbers are exploited as well similar to Anson Carter was.    Baertschi is overpaid if you look at comparables on Capfriendly   untradable

You were not talking about what they are being paid. You said: " they are practically the same quality of player". They are not even close!

2 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Baertschi's numerous concussion history is a concern; if I were Jim Benning, I would consider moving him at the TDL if the return for him was a quality minor league player and a mid 1st or 2nd round pick in this draft. This team is not going to be a cup contender for a couple of years yet so maximizing the depth of the prospect pool by moving a player whose long term viability is very much in question, to me , is a no brainer.

reason why he doesn't have that kind of trade value.  

38 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Since 2014.

yup   Oilers Panthers Sabres have been rebuilding for a decade.

They aren’t pretty and require fan patience...  like actual years of it.  Toronto pulled off a miracle and got some lottery luck....  but they were a laughing stock of the league for a good number of years.  But then they drafted with a skill focus and developed players slowly.  Then they started to see success at the AHL level. They didn’t rush their prospects, and as they’ve become ready, the likes of Bozak, JVR, Komorov etc get moved on from.  Of course they also won the draft lottery and convinced another elite C to sign long term...  

Stay patient!  Enjoy the pretty Petey plays from game to game, and hopefully WE get some lottery luck this spring!  

• Upvote 1