The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

5 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

What I liked about Boucher's goal was actually Jaseks play. He looks like he might get a chance before the season end if he keeps that up.

In the Springfield game (....the one streamed on FB ) I thought Jasek was very noticeable. Nothing on the scoresheet, but very good.

Was surprised that he gets the only assist on the 3-1 goal. Kero seems to be a big part of the play !

41 minutes ago, Connor comet said:

Palmu apparently headed back to Finland due to lack of ice time in Utica......

I think that is a mistake at his stage in development. If his experience playing in Finland has not managed to help him get more ice time I don't see how going back is going to help. Imo he needs to get his head down and make the most of the opportunities he DOES get and use the practice sessions to improve.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

I think that is a mistake at his stage in development. If his experience playing in Finland has not managed to help him get more ice time I don't see how going back is going to help. Imo he needs to get his head down and make the most of the opportunities he DOES get and use the practice sessions to improve.

I don't disagree, but this isn't the worst thing for him. He'll be able to play big minutes over there and potentially beside Kakko. 

In the end this opens up spots for Lind and Gadjovich to play more often and hopefully begin to play themselves into AHL speed.

• Upvote 1

By Ben Birnell

Thursday

Posted at 10:31 AM

Rookie forward Petrus Palmu has left the Utica Comets.

Palmu, who had been in his first professional season in North America, has signed to play with HC TPS in his native Finland after struggling to stay in the Comets’ lineup.

Comets General Manager Ryan Johnson confirmed the move involving Palmu Thursday morning. The team, which plays in the top league in Finland, announced Palmu’s addition on social media.

“All parties are on the same page,” said Johnson, who has noted this season that the AHL is a tough league for young players.

The 5-foot-7, 179-pound wing played for TPS last season, totaling 17 goals and 19 assists in 59 games en route to winning Rookie of the Year. He had also been described as defensive-minded.

However, the 21-year-old Palmu -- who is signed to an NHL deal with the parent Vancouver Canucks -- had been in and out of the the lineup this season with the Comets as he made the transition to the pro game in North America. He had his moments in appeared in 12 games with the Comets and had one assist, but appeared to trying to find some consistency in his game. He had gotten some power play opportunities in games he played. He Other players -- including those on AHL deals with the team -- had been seen more regular time ahead of Palmu.

He had practiced with the team Tuesday and was a healthy scratch for the Comets’ 5-2 win over Providence on Wednesday. Comets head coach Trent Cull and Johnson had said this season the transition to the AHL is different for each player.

you know it's a small thing, but i have kids palmu's age coming home for the holidays this weekend and i can tell they are homesick as hell and i recall i was there once myself.   it is a tough time of year to be a 20 year old kid on another continent who is struggling to find a footing.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, krutovsdonut said:

you know it's a small thing, but i have kids palmu's age coming home for the holidays this weekend and i can tell they are homesick as hell and i recall i was there once myself.   it is a tough time of year to be a 20 year old kid on another continent who is struggling to find a footing.

true, but he did spend a few years in the OHL, so he's no stranger to North America.  Ultimately, it's what's best for his hockey development that matters and if he's going to get more, higher quality ice time, then that's what's important. 

It certainly didn't hurt Dahlen to go back last season.

Up 1 - 0 in 1st intermission on a great goal by Zack MacEwen, his 13th

Had  back to back PP's, but couldn't do anything with the man advantage, against the last ranked PK in the AHL

Demko in goal - his 100th career pro start (99 in AHL, 1 in NHL)