The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

3-1 going midway into 3rd and lose 3-5 vs last place Laval.  Defense would be mediocre in the ECHL. Grenier scored the tying goal. Can't move bodies out of the crease and standing around looking as teams take it to them.

Edited by TomatoPieFan

Question about Will Lockwood. Can he play in AHL post season ? I seem to recall that there is a difference between an ATO and PTO for post season eligibility. Signing an NHL contract has other Canuck issues attached to it ( ELC wise ), but where does an NHL contract differ ( AHL post season wise ) from ATO/ PTO ?

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Question about Will Lockwood. Can he play in AHL post season ? I seem to recall that there is a difference between an ATO and PTO for post season eligibility. Signing an NHL contract has other Canuck issues attached to it ( ELC wise ), but where does an NHL contract differ ( AHL post season wise ) from ATO/ PTO ?

To be eligible to play in the AHL this season (regular or post season) Lockwood would need to sign an AHL ATO contract for the remainder of this season and his NHL ELC starting in the 2019-20 season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

To be eligible to play in the AHL this season (regular or post season) Lockwood would need to sign an AHL ATO contract for the remainder of this season and his NHL ELC starting in the 2019-20 season.

I hope that he goes this route. He had a good season and stayed healthy. Time to make the leap and see how he does in the AHL. Then he can come to training camp get, see how that goes and maybe suit up in a couple pre season games and see how he does, maybe he surprises. But not the worst thing if he goes to Utica and starts off his pro career down their

I wish we would have just moved this team to Abbotsford.

Then maybe Esche and his group can purchase an ECHL franchise, and the whiny resident Comets fans around here can enjoy ECHL hockey like they truly deserve

• Wat 3
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It the team were in Abbotsford we'd just be hearing the same things from the supposedly whiny fans here. Team is fine in Utica and the reasons why have been beaten to death. Not sure what your beef with the Utica fans is, they're Comets first and foremost and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm glad they post here at all as they offer insight few of us on these boards can give.

the constant whine from Utica fans would be nice to do without.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It the team were in Abbotsford we'd just be hearing the same things from the supposedly whiny fans here. Team is fine in Utica and the reasons why have been beaten to death. Not sure what your beef with the Utica fans is, they're Comets first and foremost and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm glad they post here at all as they offer insight few of us on these boards can give.

I get the Utica first mentality and have no issue with it, but, c'mon, at least try and look at the forest through the trees.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I get the Utica first mentality and have no issue with it, but, c'mon, at least try and look at the forest through the trees.

It would probably be the easiest money I've ever made if I bet the the 2 - 3 whiny Utica fans would be replaced by 2X, 3X 4X whiny Abbotsford fans if they paid to watch this team play every night.  Do you seriously think that no one would criticize how the farm is managed if the only difference is where the team plays it's home games?

Edited by UticaHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

the constant whine from Utica fans would be nice to do without.  

It ain't just them though, that's just part of forums in general. Get enough people participating in one and you'll get that, happens year round on any regularly used forum. Happens on CDC with Canucks fans whining too. Is what it is.

4 hours ago, stawns said:

Some folks are gonna be more objective than others, I'd say most folks who bother posting in the prospects section have a solid idea of what the Comets are to be utilized for. We've got a very small contingent of Utica fans who tend to stick to one section and thread regularly, I dont understand the animosity. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

Would love to see those D pairings stick for a couple games.  Either way, sounds like some reinforcements will be heading to Utica soon. 

If Sautner plays next game it would be his 10th NHL game of the season and he would require waivers to be sent back to Utica - he was papered down at the TDL.  Don't think he would get claimed as he is not proven yet but roster limits are lifted and teams could be looking for playoff depth.

28 minutes ago, mll said:

If Sautner plays next game it would be his 10th NHL game of the season and he would require waivers to be sent back to Utica - he was papered down at the TDL.  Don't think he would get claimed as he is not proven yet but roster limits are lifted and teams could be looking for playoff depth.

The trade deadline is over, you can no longer add other team's players onto your roster.  That's why the roster limit is lifted, as you can't hoard players like you can earlier in the season.  Players that change teams after the TDL will have to wait until next season to play for their new teams.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

The Utica Comets are in dire need of getting some of their D-men back from Vancouver. They will be out of a playoff hunt in short order trying to field a back end consisting of mostly ECHL players.

No need to have Sautner or Brisebois here anymore, send them to Utica. Give this teves guy a shot and of course Squire Hughes!

• Upvote 1

The Comets actually played well for 2 1/2 periods Wednesday.  Amerks first goal was 8:48 in the 3rd. Amerks goalie Scott Wedgewood was tail of the game. PTO players Matt Petgrave (D) and Brandon Anselmini (D) held there own and contributed.

• Thanks 1