The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Who should we expect to be called up ? Six d-men only and the Canucks play a day sooner than the Comets ! Doesn't really make sense. I believe that we will add that 23rd roster spot. If that means a Comet's call up, I'd guess that Sautner would be the likely option.

Sautner hasn't skipped a beat since re-joining the team. He is an absolute menace to forwards that try to get near the net. He is mobile and defends well and will most likely be called up. Offensively he's not going to blow you away, but he plays a sound solid game and is more refined than Brisbois. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Upvote 1

Canucks appear to have signed G Michael Leighton

February 19, 2019, 9:25 AM | Ryan Biech

With the Family Day weekend in the rearview mirror, it appears that the Canucks have added some more goaltending depth.

Leighton was a professional tryout with the Comets on January 15th and has won his last six straight starts after starting the year at 1-2-0. He is now 7-2-0 with 3.06 GAA and 0.899 SV%.

Why there is reason to believe that the Canucks have signed him to a deal is because he was placed on waivers this morning and the organization is waiving him to send him back to the Comets. If he was still on the PTO, then there would be no reason for him to be on waivers.

It appears that the Canucks are insulating themselves further in net to ensure that they don’t run into issues for the last parts of the season. With Jacob Markstrom going through some nagging tightness and Thatcher Demko still working his way back from a knee injury, there was no harm in getting some more depth there. Once everyone is healthy, the Canucks will have the Markstrom and Demko tandem in Vancouver and then newly acquired Marek Mazanec and newly signed Michael Leighton for the Comets. That’s if everyone can get back to 100% health.

At the very least, they give a stable presence for the Comets in case injuries come back through the Canucks.

The official announcement, term, and financials should be released at some point later today.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, TomatoPieFan said:

Leighton one-year, two-way, has to clear waivers by Wednesday for assignment to Comets.

Sautner OTW back up and Brisbois back to Comets. 

Well it's 6:50 PST Wednesday. Usually these transactions are known at 6am. I love CapFriendly ( even removed my ad blocker ) but they seem much quicker when TML are involved in any way.

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Well it's 6:50 PST Wednesday. Usually these transactions are known at 6am. I love CapFriendly ( even removed my ad blocker ) but they seem much quicker when TML are involved in any way.

Waiver claims can be made up to 12 noon EST the following day after a player was placed on waivers. (That is if the player was placed on waivers by 12 noon the previous day.  Benning had a habit of announcing that he was going to place someone on waivers around 3:00 to 4:00 pm EST earlier this year which gave the rest of the league about 45 hours to think about a claim rather than the mandatory 24 hours.)

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

No Dahlen, Lind or Gadjovich in the line up tonight.

Matt Sekeres says its for precautionary reasons....Canucks are close to dealing all 3 of them...

Odd to see all 3 scratched but lots of extra bodies I guess, rest needed or just poor last game?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Matt Sekeres says its for precautionary reasons....Canucks are close to dealing all 3 of them...

Odd to see all 3 scratched but lots of extra bodies I guess, rest needed or just poor last game? 

Matt Sekeres is is full of  #%&##. All three are likely out with the flu. According to Corey Hergott's post game post in CA, Gadjovich is day to day and Dahlen and Lind are both ill. Good old Toronto media transplants sure do like to stir the pot though.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Cheers 1

On 2/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, Attila Umbrus said:

Sautner hasn't skipped a beat since re-joining the team. He is an absolute menace to forwards that try to get near the net. He is mobile and defends well and will most likely be called up. Offensively he's not going to blow you away, but he plays a sound solid game and is more refined than Brisbois. 

Agree entirely, his game is more refined, but he does have another year of pro hockey under his belt.  Defensively, he reminds me of a more physical, left shooting Tanev.  He always has good position, good gap control, and makes good outlet plays.  Great to see him healthy.

Edit

Actually, this is Sautner’s fourth year in the NHL.

Edited by Ray_Cathode

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Agree entirely, his game is more refined, but he does have another year of pro hockey under his belt.  Defensively, he reminds me of a more physical, left shooting Tanev.  He always has good position, good gap control, and makes good outlet plays.  Great to see him healthy.

Edit

Actually, this is Sautner’s fourth year in the NHL.

You mean AHL?

6 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Matt Sekeres is is full of  #%&##. All three are likely out with the flu. According to Corey Hergott's post game post in CA, Gadjovich is day to day and Dahlen and Lind are both ill. Good old Toronto media transplants sure do like to stir the pot though.

Dahlen and Lind are out with unspecified illness and Gadjo has an upper-body injury.

Comets blow a 3-0 lead and lose to the amerks in ot. Comets are missing a boatload of players between callups and illness, and did well to get a point. 

Amerks and crunch are obviously the top teams, and it looks like with the sabres missing the playoffs that the amerks will get reinforcements for the playoffs.

The comets will need everyone back in order to compete as the team on the ice last night was pretty weak and was out played pretty badly at times. 

Surprisingly  they could have won this game but kulbakov let in some longer range wristshots that need to be stopped at this level.  Expect Leighton to get the bulk of the starts down the stretch......

Trade deadline in a few days, hopefully Benning will not rape the comets as he has in the past deadlines. With Bellville charging hard, the comets are a long ways from a sure playoff spot. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dungass said:

Dahlen and Lind are out with unspecified illness and Gadjo has an upper-body injury.

Lind and Dahlen missed practice this week as well because of illness.  Gadjovich was injured during the WBS Penguins game when he was shoved into the net.  None of these players were held out of the game last night because of pending trades.

• Upvote 3