The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Right but the proposal was Tanev and our first which will pretty much be a lottery pick. 

I'd rather keep Tanev and our lottery pick than to trade both for Nylander 

Yeah I hear you. It's a trade that some Leafs fans might actually go for. Offer them 2nd rounder and Tanev and they will say no way.

But I would not deal the 2019 lottery pick. I want our shot at Jack Hughes. 

19 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Everything Scott Wheeler said about Nylander is right.

Everything Scott Wheeler said about Tanev is wrong. 

But that's the kind of arrogance we will now see from the so called centre of the universe. This is why I don't cheer for other Canadian teams.

1 minute ago, Hugor Hill said:

That was us in 2011 haha!

didn't we make it out of the 1st round that year?

actually - lead the league in scoring and gave up the fewest goals in the NHL - something that has been done one other time in NHL history.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

didn't we make it out of the 1st round that year?

actually - lead the league in scoring and gave up the fewest goals in the NHL - something that has been done one other time in NHL history.

OK ok we WERE the best team that year.

The Leafs WON'T be the best team next year.

But they will think their team is.

Same attitude.

Just now, Hugor Hill said:

OK ok we WERE the best team that year.

The Leafs WON'T be the best team next year.

But they will think their team is.

Same attitude.

they could be the best team.....if they pony up for Chris Tanev :lol:

Just now, Hugor Hill said:

Sell it! lol!

I honestly just don't think the Leafs have the assets.  And by that, I mean the 'extra' or 'disposable' assets.

It's obvious that market would lose their minds if they spend an asset like Nylander to bring in a guy good enough to stabilize the right side of that defense.

Aside from moving a Nylander, what do they really have to spend?  

Are they willing to move Liljegren - at a prospect value - ie as a principal, but not full value - for an actual top 4 NHL D?  And add another piece they won't want to move?

I like Kapanen as well - but I think the Leafs have put themselves in a situation where they're really going to need their young ELC and RFA contracts to help fill out  a roster that has 17+ million tied up in Tavares and Marleau, and boatloads of money coming due to the Matthews, Marner, Nylanders....  That Marleau deal, now that they've also added Tavares puts them in a tight spot.

Toronto - top 6 aside - isn't  deep enough yet imo.   And they have the added complication of losing multiple good pieces this summer - JVR, Bozak, Komarov....Polak and Komarov were the bulk of their real grit (Martin is a buyout candidate).

In the end, I think a contender like Tampa, with a far deeper prospect pool imo - and a fuller roster with a lot of depth - are in a far better position to add a guy like Tanev.

I also think Tampa is realstically closer to a Cup than Toronto.

I get why the fanbase is so happy, but Dubas still has his work cut out for him.

If it were me, I might seriously consider moving Matthews tbh.

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I like Kapanen as well - but I think the Leafs have put themselves in a situation where they're really going to need their young ELC and RFA contracts to help fill out  a roster that has 17+ million tied up in Tavares and Marleau, and boatloads of money coming due to the Matthews, Marner, Nylanders....  That Marleau deal, now that they've also added Tavares puts them in a tight spot.

The Leafs won't have an issue with Marleau's contract.  They'll just ship him off to Robidas Island.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

The Leafs won't have an issue with Marleau's contract.  They'll just ship him off to Robidas Island.

you mean archipelago?  lol.

I like Marleau - always have - and he may live up to those terms - but it's still 6 million committed to a 38,39, 40 yr old.

I would have thought Dubas would be more active today - beyond Tavares.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

you mean archipelago?  lol.

I like Marleau - always have - and he may live up to those terms - but it's still 6 million committed to a 38,39, 40 yr old.

I would have thought Dubas would be more active today - beyond Tavares.

They did lose a lot of depth.  I'm assuming they're hoping that guys from the Marlies fill those spots?  (...you know it's a good plan when the word hope is in there)

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

They did lose a lot of depth.  I'm assuming they're hoping that guys from the Marlies fill those spots?  (...you know it's a good plan when the word hope is in there)

Some good young players - but not quite the same effect as guys like Komarov et al.  They lost a lot of glue today.

And the market really thins out after day 1.  There are a few good LHD left out there - but Dubas' ability to work the trade market may get tested early.

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

Toronto has had a crush on Chris Tanev for a long time now.   It's nowhere near just Kypreos.

Tanev is and has been a  "darling of the analyticz" community (your media's words) for good reason - and lots of Leafs-fluffers and Canucks haterz have drawn the line at Chris Tanev.

There's a reason Kypreos - or Friedman - or Dreger - or the Conehead - or a gaggle of your other media parrot this rumour - because it's no secret that the numbers geeks in your market has been pining for this guy for some time.

Do you really think Du(m)bas is the exception?   Pfft.  He's your analyticz kid guru.  Whether you like it or not there's very little chance he differs on this.

Don't be surprised if you're disappointed if a Tanev deal to Toronto ever happened.  You're not getting a player like this for some of the deluded returns that people who don't know how to analyze defensive hockey believe.

Anyhow - it's all good - we don't need to move Tanev - we don't need any small, skilled forwards.  We're not under immense pressure to break any windows open.

I think you guys should just stay put.  Don't add anything.  You've got everything you need to win a Cup.  Who needs Tanev?  Not Toronto.

Hey bud you should go back and read the post starting with its first word: “if” I’m a leafs fan. It’s called hypothesis. For the sake of obvious clarity I’m not. I’m a die hard ‘Nucks fan like the rest of us. Your use of the word “your” throughout your response is way off the mark. I’m a huge Tanev fan but he’s an undrafted pearl that has kept it simple and knows how to do his job. That being said he’s simply not worth trading away your second best point producer at 22. The freaking homerism on this site is both heartwarming and sometimes pretty silly.

Back to back 61 point seasons and just turned 22. Who the hell trades that away? For a defender that doesn’t score and can’t run a power play.  Wilie is a bit of a softie but he’s young and he’d be our top scorer two seasons in a row.

Would you trade Horvat for Orlov?

Boeser for Martinez?

Pettersson for hamonic?

etc etc?

a dialogue regarding young organizational cornerstones like these starts with Seth jones or Sergachev or maybe Mcavoy. 

If this trade materializes I will $&!# my pants. 

Btw Tanev if you’re reading this we’d be toast without you over the last couple years. You’re my boy! 

Would love to trade for Nylander, he be a perfect fit with Elias Pettersson , but ya  sorry to say but rather trade tanev now, than later, he always hurt it seems, very injury prone ....minus well get something for him before he becomes worthless which hes close to being.

And ya im not a fan of virtanen , kid has his moments, but is very inconsistent :( sucks really ....but life is life

Archived