The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

23 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The rumour I heard is Tanev + b prospect + 2020 Vancouver 1st but Toronto wants a 2019 first. 

Van working the trade market to acquire another first and use that first with Tanev + to make it work

That would make sense! we definitely are not giving up our own first rounder.  Honestly, Tanev + B prospect + 2nd I would be more comfortable with.  Tanev is a piece they are missing.

12 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

That would make sense! we definitely are not giving up our own first rounder.  Honestly, Tanev + B prospect + 2nd I would be more comfortable with.  Tanev is a piece they are missing.

just do tanev for nylander, hortons contract

17 hours ago, oldnews said:

I honestly just don't think the Leafs have the assets.  And by that, I mean the 'extra' or 'disposable' assets.

It's obvious that market would lose their minds if they spend an asset like Nylander to bring in a guy good enough to stabilize the right side of that defense.

Aside from moving a Nylander, what do they really have to spend?  

Are they willing to move Liljegren - at a prospect value - ie as a principal, but not full value - for an actual top 4 NHL D?  And add another piece they won't want to move?

I like Kapanen as well - but I think the Leafs have put themselves in a situation where they're really going to need their young ELC and RFA contracts to help fill out  a roster that has 17+ million tied up in Tavares and Marleau, and boatloads of money coming due to the Matthews, Marner, Nylanders....  That Marleau deal, now that they've also added Tavares puts them in a tight spot.

Toronto - top 6 aside - isn't  deep enough yet imo.   And they have the added complication of losing multiple good pieces this summer - JVR, Bozak, Komarov....Polak and Komarov were the bulk of their real grit (Martin is a buyout candidate).

In the end, I think a contender like Tampa, with a far deeper prospect pool imo - and a fuller roster with a lot of depth - are in a far better position to add a guy like Tanev.

I also think Tampa is realstically closer to a Cup than Toronto.

I get why the fanbase is so happy, but Dubas still has his work cut out for him.

If it were me, I might seriously consider moving Matthews tbh.

I have only been posting here for a short time and noted pretty quickly you are a hardcore Canuck fan (like me) and you hate Toronto (like me). Therefore, I agree on lots of stuff you post.

But on the bolded you surely cannot be serious??!! Lmao.  Matthews is a very young big premier centre in this league already. He scores more at 5on5 than most players in the league. He was 13th highest centre in the league this year for pts/game. No SANE person would trade Matthews. IMO that statement is just silly. lol.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I have only been posting here for a short time and noted pretty quickly you are a hardcore Canuck fan (like me) and you hate Toronto (like me). Therefore, I agree on lots of stuff you post.

But on the bolded you surely cannot be serious??!! Lmao.  Matthews is a very young big premier centre in this league already. He scores more at 5on5 than most players in the league. He was 13th highest centre in the league this year for pts/game. No SANE person would trade Matthews. IMO that statement is just silly. lol.

It can become a reality tho! How is he going to react to the Tavares signing? What about the money he is going to demand? What about the "C" that he might not get now? There are a lot of what ifs. obviously, you don't  go out of the way to trade him but it could be a reality one day.

25 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

alex auld said yesterday that the canucks should offer Tanev, Virtanen and the 2019 first

Seriously?!? Why would we want to help shinyhand and co. to that degree. We could win the lottery next season. That would be disastrous. We have enough skilled guys in our system that we don't need flamingoboy. They need a RHD. They're the ones who need to make it work, not us. Crap no to Tanev and a first, let alone with Jake.

5 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

It can become a reality tho! How is he going to react to the Tavares signing? What about the money he is going to demand? What about the "C" that he might not get now? There are a lot of what ifs. obviously, you don't  go out of the way to trade him but it could be a reality one day.

I don't deal with IFs for the most part. Because you can literally come up with any scenario you want. 

Right now Matthews is one of the best centres in the league and he is only 20. He is an excellent player. You DO NOT trade those players. 

If you want to play the BUT WHAT IF game then go for it. In the real world, right now, you do not even consider trading Matthews. It really is that simple IMO.

12 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

alex auld said yesterday that the canucks should offer Tanev, Virtanen and the 2019 first

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

then he's an idiot. Thats ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If alex auld said that someone should slap him upside the face. That is laughable.

I hope that AA's 'quote' has been cherry picked and is out of context. I like AA ( AM 650 leaves me stone cold ! ). This just doesn't pass the smell test.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't deal with IFs for the most part. Because you can literally come up with any scenario you want. 

Right now Matthews is one of the best centres in the league and he is only 20. He is an excellent player. You DO NOT trade those players. 

If you want to play the BUT WHAT IF game then go for it. In the real world, right now, you do not even consider trading Matthews. It really is that simple IMO.

I don't really do what ifs either, but it was just for the sake of the argument especially since those what ifs are not too far fetched.

But, yes, you definitely don't trade those players.

56 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The rumour I heard is Tanev + b prospect + 2020 Vancouver 1st but Toronto wants a 2019 first. 

Van working the trade market to acquire another first and use that first with Tanev + to make it work

lol.  

top defensive shut down D

+

prospect

+

potentially top 5/top 10 pick

for. 

60 points worth of

image.png.c2be8e816934f5a3cf4697033bbf3299.png

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

If Vancouver is to acquire another 1st round pick in next year’s draft; then Vancouver has two 1st round picks at next year’s draft.

I’ll take Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes and book-still-open-on Juolevi and Virtanen over taking the chance of of not having Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes type players in the organization. 

Boeser and Pettersson ARE. the Sedins’ scoring replacements.

Hughes, the Canucks has never had one of those.

Players like Boeser, Pettersson and Hughes are the ones you win Cups with.

20 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He's not wrong though

For them to be serious now that they have an unlovable JT on their team with their only having 11 contracts signed next year and $13.679 million in cap space, with 6 contracts signed the year after and only $29 million in cap space 

They'd be crazy to not ride out Matthews' ELC and see what is available for him.

Arizona being the obvious team to be looking at and an obvious ask of multiple 1sts and young prospects/players.

Any combination of

2 of Keller/Chycrun/Strome for players

+

1sts

+

and or OEL

For a bonafide 1st line 2 way centre capable of 40 goals and 40+ assists that was born in your teams home town

The Leafs will not have the cap space to give Matthews the 11+ million he'll be worth while still retaining Nylander, Marner, Leivo, Liljegren, Brown, Carrick, Dermott and fielding any sort of credible bottom 6, defence or goaltending

They'd be crazy to not look at the options and packages Matthews might return.  Whether they make an actual trade involving him or the supporting pieces is up to them.  But they'd have to seriously be looking at options

Archived