The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's not wrong though

For them to be serious now that they have an unlovable JT on their team with their only having 11 contracts signed next year and $13.679 million in cap space, with 6 contracts signed the year after and only $29 million in cap space 

They'd be crazy to not ride out Matthews' ELC and see what is available for him.

Arizona being the obvious team to be looking at and an obvious ask of multiple 1sts and young prospects/players.

Any combination of

2 of Keller/Chycrun/Strome for players

+

1sts

+

and or OEL

For a bonafide 1st line 2 way centre capable of 40 goals and 40+ assists

I don't know, Hippy. I think that Laffs fans love Tavares

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's not wrong though

For them to be serious now that they have an unlovable JT on their team with their only having 11 contracts signed next year and $13.679 million in cap space, with 6 contracts signed the year after and only $29 million in cap space 

They'd be crazy to not ride out Matthews' ELC and see what is available for him.

Arizona being the obvious team to be looking at and an obvious ask of multiple 1sts and young prospects/players.

Any combination of

+

1sts

+

and or OEL

For a bonafide 1st line 2 way centre capable of 40 goals and 40+ assists that was born in your teams home town

The Leafs will not have the cap space to give Matthews the 11+ million he'll be worth while still retaining Nylander, Marner, Leivo, Liljegren, Brown, Carrick, Dermott and fielding any sort of credible bottom 6, defence or goaltending

They'd be crazy to not look at the options and packages Matthews might return.  Whether they make an actual trade involving him or the supporting pieces is up to them.  But they'd have to seriously be looking at options

Well we will just have to disagree then.

Teams are built down the centre and on D and in goal. If you feel you need to get rid of a high contract you get rid of a winger then and keep your two premiere centres....just like Pittsburgh and the reason they have won their cups. IMO.

Toronto needs more help than just Tanev to help the tire fire that is there defence. Also lost in all this Taverese madness is will Anderson be able to continue to face a thousand shots a game like he has the last few years.

Laffs maybe in for a rude awaking if they don’t get their defence sorted.

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's not wrong though

Any combination of

+

1sts

+

and or OEL

For a bonafide 1st line 2 way centre capable of 40 goals and 40+ assists that was born in your teams home town

The Leafs will not have the cap space to give Matthews the 11+ million he'll be worth while still retaining Nylander, Marner, Leivo, Liljegren, Brown, Carrick, Dermott and fielding any sort of credible bottom 6, defence or goaltending

They'd be crazy to not look at the options and packages Matthews might return.  Whether they make an actual trade involving him or the supporting pieces is up to them.  But they'd have to seriously be looking at options

I think Matthews will want out.

3 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Well we will just have to disagree then.

Teams are built down the centre and on D and in goal. If you feel you need to get rid of a high contract you get rid of a winger then and keep your two premiere centres....just like Pittsburgh and the reason they have won their cups. IMO.

The thing with Pittsburgh though is that they drafted both their future HOF centres in Malkin and Crosby and paid them 1st.  Then built the team around them.

Toronto didn't.  They drafted Matthews but had those big money contracts in place prior to that and while they did well in shedding Phaneuf and Kessel they did very poorly in ensuring they got a solid return the same way Chicago did who also built and paid their supporting cast before their studs in Toews/Kane; but ensured they traded off said cast for maximum return.

I just don't see Toronto being able to retain that level of skill with their available cap space over the next 2 seasons.

The only way I see Mathews traded is for a stud Norris type dman. I see none available. Karlsson, but I can't see a trade based around Mathews for Karlsson. What will be interesting is the looming threat of offer sheets. Offer sheets for Nylander, Marner, or Mathews. THAT, would be fun to watch go down. Popcorn viewing there folks. 

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't see many people saying 'don't pursue a deal'.

I see some people insisting that you don't add a significant piece to Tanev.

For me, the bottom line is this:  is Nylander some kind of missing piece for this franchise?  No. 

Is Tanev a missing piece for the Laffs?  Hell yes.

Citing Nylander's production, age, etc is relevent - but it's nowhere near reducible to that.

I think if you ask (one of the few) hockey people in Toronto, they would not be under the illsuion that you're going to peel off a Tanev for one of their late 1st round picks.

So where does that leave them?   What is the reality of the market for top 4 RHD?   What assets do the Leafs really have to offer?   Unfortunately for them, it is so much easier to look at a team like Tampa and come up with multiples of viable proposals - that make sense for this team - whereas with the Leafs that comes down to a few assets - that half that market would lose their shizz if they moved them.  Catch-22 for them, because they're not getting a top 4 via the trade market without giving up good young assets, but they're not exactly rich in those, particularly beyond what's already on their roster.  Nylander, Lilljegren, Kapanen.....what else would we conceivably want from them?

The additional factor here - we just drafted a young LHPMD - for whom Tanev would be a fairly ideal partner.  What's our incentive to thin out the area of least depth in this franchise - RHD - in order to add another small, skilled forward?   I wouldn't give Toronto Boeser, Pettersson, or Horvat for Nylander, and there are a few other guys that could also emerge as comparables....we're in no hurry, and we're not hard up for young skilled wingers.....So whether Toronto likes it or not, if they want Chris Tanev, it spells overpayment ie. a special kind of offer - and I think people in the know there realize that.

We have been one of the worst offensive teams since 2014. We need a Nylander more than anything.... 

For me, the bottom line is this:  is Nylander some kind of missing piece for this franchise?  No. 

Citing Nylander's production, age, etc is relevent - but it's nowhere near reducible to that.

I think if you ask (one of the few) hockey people in Toronto, they would not be under the illsuion that you're going to peel off a Tanev for one of their late 1st round picks.

So where does that leave them?   What is the reality of the market for top 4 RHD?   What assets do the Leafs really have to offer?   Unfortunately for them, it is so much easier to look at a team like Tampa and come up with multiples of viable proposals - that make sense for this team - whereas with the Leafs that comes down to a few assets - that half that market would lose their shizz if they moved them.  Catch-22 for them, because they're not getting a top 4 via the trade market without giving up good young assets, but they're not exactly rich in those, particularly beyond what's already on their roster.  Nylander, Lilljegren, Kapanen.....what else would we conceivably want from them?

The additional factor here - we just drafted a young LHPMD - for whom Tanev would be a fairly ideal partner.  What's our incentive to thin out the area of least depth in this franchise - RHD - in order to add another small, skilled forward?   I wouldn't give Toronto Boeser, Pettersson, or Horvat for Nylander, and there are a few other guys that could also emerge as comparables....we're in no hurry, and we're not hard up for young skilled wingers.....So whether Toronto likes it or not, if they want Chris Tanev, it spells overpayment ie. a special kind of offer - and I think people in the know there realize that.

Sometimes you have to explain it in great detail to get thru the noise. 

Well said, I 100% agree

In my mind, this trade makes no sense for Vancouver unless they are getting Dermott or Liljegren back the other way. When you start adding those pieces it makes little sense for Toronto unless they feel that Tanev is the missing piece they need. I feel like Nylander and Dermott or Liljegren could fetch a much bigger return than Tanev though.

17 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's not wrong though

Any combination of

+

1sts

+

and or OEL

It could happen. 

Sure but Mathews is an absolute stud. Marner is a fan favourite.   I can’t see then moving either. 

Marleau is an anchor.

Nylander is as good as gone, they will have a hole to fill in the left wing. 

Kadri is a tad expensive for he new role when they could do well with a cheaper Sutter.  There’s an idea... 

Sutter, Tanev, Baer and Goldy for 

Nylander, Kadri and Martin. 

They turn Baer into a stud by playing him with Tavares or Mathews and flip him in two years. 

Goldy, see above.

Sutter becomes their cheaper third line center that can play two way hockey and is a good old Canadian kid. 

And they get Tanev who grew up playing hockey with Tavares and is one of the best shot suppression defenders in the league. Their worst weakness. 

Nylander is an upgrade on Baer, but will be significantly more expansive.  The big bonus is he can Ben groomed into a center is Pettersson isn’t.  

Kadri is likely too expensive for TO but is a good Second line center for us. 

Martin is a buy out candidate and we could go on squad it up to protect our kids. 

Or Guddy could kick the crap out him amen Camp and the could waive him then buy him out. Just a thought.

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

The only way I see Mathews traded is for a stud Norris type dman. I see none available. Karlsson, but I can't see a trade based around Mathews for Karlsson. What will be interesting is the looming threat of offer sheets. Offer sheets for Nylander, Marner, or Mathews. THAT, would be fun to watch go down. Popcorn viewing there folks. 

The only guys to trade Mathews for are Lindström. Borque or Potvin oops they are all retired.  

New list.  Dahlin unproven and Buffalo has enough centers

Nashville for Subban.  Or LA for Doughty. 

I wouldnt trade Mathews to get OEL. 

Mathews is Lindros with brains.  He keeps his head up. 

Not a guy to ever trade willingly unless you get back a Forsberg and bunch of other key pieces. 

2 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

The only guys to trade Mathews for are Lindström. Borque or Potvin oops they are all retired.  

New list.  Dahlin unproven and Buffalo has enough centers

Nashville for Subban.  Or LA for Doughty. 

I wouldnt trade Mathews to get OEL. 

Mathews is Lindros with brains.  He keeps his head up. 

Not a guy to ever trade willingly unless you get back a Forsberg and bunch of other key pieces. 

I agree. If the right Norris type dman was there for a trade the Leafs would arguably be better for it. Really it would need to be a younger type dman. 25ish and a sure fire Norris type.

1 hour ago, Analyst82 said:

Tanev + B prospect + 2nd I would be more comfortable with.

:sick:

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

The rumour I heard is Tanev + b prospect + 2020 Vancouver 1st but Toronto wants a 2019 first.

:sick::sick:

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

alex auld said yesterday that the canucks should offer Tanev, Virtanen and the 2019 first

Alex Bauld needs to get some sunscreen on his dome.

As has been said -- Toronto NEEDS Tanev.  We do not need Nylander, nor do we need to trade Tanev.  We dictate the terms or they can go chase more 37-year-olds.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

:sick:

:sick::sick:

Alex Bauld needs to get some sunscreen on his dome.

As has been said -- Toronto NEEDS Tanev.  We do not need Nylander, nor do we need to trade Tanev.  We dictate the terms or they can go chase more 37-year-olds.

Therefore:

VAN

Nylander

1st ‘19

TOR

Tanev

Hutton

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

I hope that AA's 'quote' has been cherry picked and is out of context. I like AA ( AM 650 leaves me stone cold ! ). This just doesn't pass the smell test.

me too, normally he's more level headed. Maybe he meant TOs 1st coming back our way. Even then I don't think we should give up on Jake. 

45 minutes ago, rekker said:

Why watch when we could join in the fun.... Maybe Vancouver should offer sheet Matthews next year.... 

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I have only been posting here for a short time and noted pretty quickly you are a hardcore Canuck fan (like me) and you hate Toronto (like me). Therefore, I agree on lots of stuff you post.

But on the bolded you surely cannot be serious??!! Lmao.  Matthews is a very young big premier centre in this league already. He scores more at 5on5 than most players in the league. He was 13th highest centre in the league this year for pts/game. No SANE person would trade Matthews. IMO that statement is just silly. lol.

Instead of laughing and posting the obvious - from a tunnel perspective imo - maybe think about the larger picture?

When you have a handful of holes to fill, a tweener prospect pool, a pair of 1Cs, an approaching cap crunch, and a player that is a prima donna with a reasonable likelihood he'll consider moving on to Zona in the near future - particularly with a big fish like Tavares planted right in front ot him - you look at all your options imo.

Sell high on Matthews and get a king's ransome.  Any player is available at the right price, and there may be no better time to sell him than now.

btw - I don't 'hate' the Leafs - I 'hate' the Toronto (and National) cheerleader media that uncritically fluffs them incessantly.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

me too, normally he's more level headed. Maybe he meant TOs 1st coming back our way. Even then I don't think we should give up on Jake. 

Agree. I have emailed am650 asking for clarification. Have no idea if they respond to stuff like that .

Archived