The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour - Kypreos) If Tavares chooses Toronto, chances are Nylander lands in Vancouver for Tanev

Xbox

5 hours ago, oldnews said:

I honestly just don't think the Leafs have the assets.  And by that, I mean the 'extra' or 'disposable' assets.

It's obvious that market would lose their minds if they spend an asset like Nylander to bring in a guy good enough to stabilize the right side of that defense.

Aside from moving a Nylander, what do they really have to spend?  

Are they willing to move Liljegren - at a prospect value - ie as a principal, but not full value - for an actual top 4 NHL D?  And add another piece they won't want to move?

I like Kapanen as well - but I think the Leafs have put themselves in a situation where they're really going to need their young ELC and RFA contracts to help fill out  a roster that has 17+ million tied up in Tavares and Marleau, and boatloads of money coming due to the Matthews, Marner, Nylanders....  That Marleau deal, now that they've also added Tavares puts them in a tight spot.

Toronto - top 6 aside - isn't  deep enough yet imo.   And they have the added complication of losing multiple good pieces this summer - JVR, Bozak, Komarov....Polak and Komarov were the bulk of their real grit (Martin is a buyout candidate).

In the end, I think a contender like Tampa, with a far deeper prospect pool imo - and a fuller roster with a lot of depth - are in a far better position to add a guy like Tanev.

I also think Tampa is realstically closer to a Cup than Toronto.

I get why the fanbase is so happy, but Dubas still has his work cut out for him.

If it were me, I might seriously consider moving Matthews tbh.

Kadri can be fetched for a good vet Dman. 

People cry asset management on this board and then when a rumour says that our undrafted gem can be traded for a former top 10 pick who has been killing it since his draft year, is much younger and has star potential, they say we shouldn’t pursue the trade.... 

i just don’t understand most of you people.

8 hours ago, Old school nuck said:

Tanev plus for Willy that's  absurd  , they have to add if anything.

There's absolutely no reason to help TO out unless they pay up big.

We need CT to cushion the transition of our two young defense blue chippers and there's a big risk if we habe to rely on Gud to do that.

That risk means a big add by TO or we just continue on with JBs master rebuild plan.

I agree for the most part. Some posters are saying Tanev and a 1st... 

I could be happy with Tanev and a mid to lower round pick. 

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

I honestly just don't think the Leafs have the assets.  And by that, I mean the 'extra' or 'disposable' assets.

It's obvious that market would lose their minds if they spend an asset like Nylander to bring in a guy good enough to stabilize the right side of that defense.

Aside from moving a Nylander, what do they really have to spend?  

Are they willing to move Liljegren - at a prospect value - ie as a principal, but not full value - for an actual top 4 NHL D?  And add another piece they won't want to move?

I like Kapanen as well - but I think the Leafs have put themselves in a situation where they're really going to need their young ELC and RFA contracts to help fill out  a roster that has 17+ million tied up in Tavares and Marleau, and boatloads of money coming due to the Matthews, Marner, Nylanders....  That Marleau deal, now that they've also added Tavares puts them in a tight spot.

Toronto - top 6 aside - isn't  deep enough yet imo.   And they have the added complication of losing multiple good pieces this summer - JVR, Bozak, Komarov....Polak and Komarov were the bulk of their real grit (Martin is a buyout candidate).

In the end, I think a contender like Tampa, with a far deeper prospect pool imo - and a fuller roster with a lot of depth - are in a far better position to add a guy like Tanev.

I also think Tampa is realstically closer to a Cup than Toronto.

I get why the fanbase is so happy, but Dubas still has his work cut out for him.

If it were me, I might seriously consider moving Matthews tbh.

TO does have some pieces of interest. Obviously Willie for Tanev is a great deal for Van. 

With Tavares coming in and Bozak leaving they are fine at center.  

Marleau would be hard to move, Kadri could go but then they suddenly lose depth at center.  Willie isn’t a match up center. 

Kapanen looks like he is ready and is not going to be expensive so they need him moving forward. Liljren is also on an ELc. He is a possible trade chip for Tanev,  TO would have to add significantly. Probably a 1st. 

The thing is that they Liljigren is also going to be cheap for a few more years so they need that too. 

Kadri offers more two way play to balance out the over loaded top six. I think he stays. 

Willie is going to run them 6m plus next year, Mathews is worth Mc Jesus money and Marner is inbetween.  It could cost the leafs 23m to resign those three guys. Plus Marleau, Tavares and Kadri they are screwed against the cap and still can’t keep pucks out and will not be in a position to draft top end players for a long time. 

Tampa could compete, but Stevie Y is a shrewd GM and doesn’t have the glaring need TO does. 

Cal Foote would be a great price for Tanev IMO. We have a ton of forwards and Cal could step in this year. But would Steve move and entry level contract that can step into the lineup?  

Hopefully. 

A defence with Cal Foote, OJ and Hughes is drool worthy. 

Kadri would be an awesome 2nd line centre and expendable to the Leafs Tavares and Matthews are capable of pulling out about 38 minutes per game between the two. Given a 4th line centre plays 8 minutes that leaves about 14 minutes per game for Kadri. In Vancouver, Kadri would play around 18 minutes per game. Chris Tanev would be the top RHD for both teams. 

Not a suggestion as we can't afford to lose Tanev

37 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Kadri would be an awesome 2nd line centre and expendable to the Leafs Tavares and Matthews are capable of pulling out about 38 minutes per game between the two. Given a 4th line centre plays 8 minutes that leaves about 14 minutes per game for Kadri. In Vancouver, Kadri would play around 18 minutes per game. Chris Tanev would be the top RHD for both teams. 

Not a suggestion as we can't afford to lose Tanev

Kadri is not going anywhere.. he was their shutdown Center in the playoffs.

5 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

People cry asset management on this board and then when a rumour says that our undrafted gem can be traded for a former top 10 pick who has been killing it since his draft year, is much younger and has star potential, they say we shouldn’t pursue the trade.... 

i just don’t understand most of you people.

I don't see many people saying 'don't pursue a deal'.

I see some people insisting that you don't add a significant piece to Tanev.

For me, the bottom line is this:  is Nylander some kind of missing piece for this franchise?  No. 

Is Tanev a missing piece for the Laffs?  Hell yes.

Citing Nylander's production, age, etc is relevent - but it's nowhere near reducible to that.

I think if you ask (one of the few) hockey people in Toronto, they would not be under the illsuion that you're going to peel off a Tanev for one of their late 1st round picks.

So where does that leave them?   What is the reality of the market for top 4 RHD?   What assets do the Leafs really have to offer?   Unfortunately for them, it is so much easier to look at a team like Tampa and come up with multiples of viable proposals - that make sense for this team - whereas with the Leafs that comes down to a few assets - that half that market would lose their shizz if they moved them.  Catch-22 for them, because they're not getting a top 4 via the trade market without giving up good young assets, but they're not exactly rich in those, particularly beyond what's already on their roster.  Nylander, Lilljegren, Kapanen.....what else would we conceivably want from them?

The additional factor here - we just drafted a young LHPMD - for whom Tanev would be a fairly ideal partner.  What's our incentive to thin out the area of least depth in this franchise - RHD - in order to add another small, skilled forward?   I wouldn't give Toronto Boeser, Pettersson, or Horvat for Nylander, and there are a few other guys that could also emerge as comparables....we're in no hurry, and we're not hard up for young skilled wingers.....So whether Toronto likes it or not, if they want Chris Tanev, it spells overpayment ie. a special kind of offer - and I think people in the know there realize that.

2 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Kadri is not going anywhere.. he was their shutdown Center in the playoffs.

After letting Komarov, Polak and Bozak walk (while Martin is a buyout candidate), the Leafs are left with one of the softest lineups in the NHL.  Moore also expired.

Taking Kadri out of the mix as well.....

They'd be going full Coiler - and not just in the lottery champion sense, but in the imbalanced team-building sense.

11 minutes ago, oldnews said:

So whether Toronto likes it or not, if they want Chris Tanev, it spells overpayment ie. a special kind of offer - and I think people in the know there realize that.

which is what Benning has been saying for 2 years.

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

which is what Benning has been saying for 2 years.

So apparently we're not in the business of helping out Canada's Team?  No wonder the analysts call us draft day/TDL/UFA "losers" -- why won't we do the right thing and just give them Tanev for Josh Leivo and a 2nd?

33 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

So apparently we're not in the business of helping out Canada's Team?  No wonder the analysts call us draft day/TDL/UFA "losers" -- why won't we do the right thing and just give them Tanev for Josh Leivo and a 2nd?

we should be so honoured to be a piece of the Shanaplan. 

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

After letting Komarov, Polak and Bozak walk (while Martin is a buyout candidate), the Leafs are left with one of the softest lineups in the NHL.  Moore also expired.

Taking Kadri out of the mix as well.....

They'd be going full Coiler - and not just in the lottery champion sense, but in the imbalanced team-building sense.

....and that goal tending! ....and that defense! Toronto Sports Network, they've got the best chance at the SC in the East.

21 minutes ago, rekker said:

I see a possible three way here. Tanev to TO. Nylander to the Canes. Picks or a young dman to us. Everyone gets what they want. Canes will have to add a bit to get Nylander. 

That actually sounds like it might work. Not sure on what the details might be but there is possibilities there.

26 minutes ago, rekker said:

I see a possible three way here. Tanev to TO. Nylander to the Canes. Picks or a young dman to us. Everyone gets what they want. Canes will have to add a bit to get Nylander. 

To Toronto:

Tanev

Baertschi

Carolina 4th 19

To Carolina

Nylander

Van 5th 19

To Vancouver

Kapanen

Pesce

Carolina 1st 19

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The rumour I heard is Tanev + b prospect + 2020 Vancouver 1st but Toronto wants a 2019 first. 

Van working the trade market to acquire another first and use that first with Tanev + to make it work

source?

19 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Tanev alone will fetch near a Nylander right now.   That is simply the way supply and demand works.   He may not get moved but if he does, I think you are in the group of people who will be amazed at what the return he brings.

I believe hardcore Canuck fans will be sorely disappointed with any return we get IF Tanev is traded. Just like the ROR trade yesterday. Hardcore Buffalo fans were totally pissed off...at first.

Some objective third parties thought the ROR trade was a fair trade though. I would bet that is how a Tanev trade would go down on these boards. Fans would be initially pissed off, feeling they got too little. Then after a day they would accept it from a more objective perspective. It seems to happen like this for most big trades IMO.

The Devils trade where they got Hall was seen as one sided right away. Devils fans were thrilled with what they got for their D but Edmonton fans were totally pissed off...as they should have been.

Archived